iPhone Sid Meier's Starships (By 2K)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Thanks @Khann, someone on another forum clued me into the scrolling. I think what threw me is the way the scroll bar fades out. Strange choice, but not a big deal once you realize where it is.

I only used lasers in my first play. Messing with cannon on my second, and wow, they are strong. Quick torpedo question: seems like you only get one. Do you get more if you upgrade?

2. Colgul

Colgul Active Member

May 15, 2013
    Ok so I bought it to see what the fuss is about, quite impressed so far. So is it just me or is the tutorial non-existent. Seems like all you get are tips. Nothing to explain what icons do what. The civilopedia seems pretty limited too.

3. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    There really isn't a tutorial that I have seen, but in fairness, most of the Civs don't do much on tutorials, I guess they figure if you want their game you know about it.

The tip bar is all I have seen in ways of getting any guidance, but after using it a few turns, you should get a feel of what to do.

4. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #64 ScotDamn, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    It's so seamless you can't even tell it's there!

No actually I thought the same. I love the idea of the tutorial staying out of the way and almost naturally learning the game and that is what seems to be the intention - presenting tips as you play. If I had negatives to say, I'd say the so called tutorial is finicky and panning the touch screen is overly sensitive and prone to accidental moves.

But the gameplay and presentation is so sky-high I don't even care. If those things were polished up a tad, this would be no question a perfect iOS strategy game!

5. Ragn4rok 74

Ragn4rok 74 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Ok my question is, I've never played a Civ game before and I'm not a huge strategy fan but I do love the idea of space exploration and fighting with starships, upgrading them and the like. I do like some strategy and RTS type stuff. Are there enough battles to keep a more action oriented fan interested in the game?

6. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Yes! It's pretty much all centered around battles so you should be good. Just remember these are turn based battles on a hex map.

7. matrix960

matrix960 Member

Oct 26, 2008
    On my IPad Air 2, the game seems to be in low resolution, anybody else with the same problem?
    Thanks !

8. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Is this the exact same game as the PC version?

9. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    It seems like it. I started it on my 27" iMac and it comes up in an iPad sized window. But I can grab a corner and make it as big as my screen and things resize nicely. But it doesn't remember and will start up next time in that iPad size. Nut one things with the mouse i won't have those selection/scrolling misseteps that players on tablets seem to be having.

10. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Naa. That stands for any game that has a map bigger than the screen which requires scrolling. The comtrols should be separate. Mouse for selection of units. keyboard for scrolling. That cuts down chances of meaning to scroll but end up moving a unit. This is especially annoying when there is no undo.

11. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    No.It depends only on the way the dev implemented it.Obviously it is not as good as it could be in this game but that does not count for most others.A simple tap in an empty field (out of range)to deselect units or a confirmation window (if i really would like to do a certain move) and that's it.

12. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    From what I have read (and you frequent another high-brow ios strategy game website I frequent) this game wraps a much more comprehensive meta-game around what are essentially just semi-random battles found in the Ace Patrol games.

Also-sid is listed as both a producer and programmer per the credits.

Now...should I eat till Saturday or buy...

13. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    PS-please send me an Ace Patrol Pacific game request?

I've yet to play a single online game :/

14. Shirika

Shirika Well-Known Member

yes its 1:1 port
    -

This game is awesome :)

15. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Probably!

Attached Files:

16. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Its Aussie for Dissapointment.

17. Dekon

Dekon Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Belgium
    Why iPad only for God sake? Should have been perfect for my 6+.:mad:

18. Shirika

Shirika Well-Known Member

To put it simply.. The Interface would look ridiculously small on a 5,5" screen.

It would never work.

19. Bischi777

Bischi777 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Any word if there will be a high-res update in the future? Not that it matters much since the game is awsome, but i like my starships extra shiny...

20. Deth4U2

Deth4U2 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Does anyone have more information on battle cards? The only way to identify them without activating them is by understanding the icon being displayed. It seems on the PC version one can mouse over these cards to get a description, but on my iPad, I only get the description when activating the card.