iPhone Sid Meier's Starships (By 2K)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    #41 Misguided, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    Well, I just finished my first game (medium/moderate) and liked it. It's exactly what I expected based on the various videos and such, so if anyone is in doubt, I would check those out.

Two significant annoyances with the iPad version. There were multiple occasions were I moved a ship accidentally while trying to look around the map and there's not a way to undo a move that I can see. I have also accidentally fired a shot when I was trying to look at an enemy. Second, the topic list in the civ-o-pedia or whatever it is called will not scroll, though it is clearly intended to, making it more or less impossible to use. Another thing is that the game doesn't always respect the wonders you have built in minor ways. For instance, build the owner that gives you equal shields in every direction and it doesn't change the icon beneath your ship (at least I don't think so). Also, build the wonder that prevents fatigue from affecting you in combat and you will still get warning dialogs about fatigue (but the wonder does work).

Minor quibbles: There are certain planetary advantages that only seem to apply to that planet, rather than all on your network, though this is not always clear. Also, a way to quickly locate enemies while on a mission would be very handy. When you zoom out to see a large map, the ships get lost pretty easily.

2. touchy85

touchy85 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2015
  3. khann

khann Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Civ-o-pedia will scroll. You have the swipe up and down just to the right of the boxes This got me at first too. I'm sure this isn't how it was intended to scroll.

4. Skypoint

Skypoint Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    I'm finding that fighters (especially when upgraded) are so useful that I can't imagine playing without them. Often my fighters can devastate a significant part of the enemy fleet in their own right.

5. Colgul

Colgul Active Member

May 15, 2013
    Sounds like there's a fair few bugs on release, I'll wait till these have been rectified before purchasing.

6. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    How does it play on the iPad 3?

7. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    This needs multiplayer

8. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    #48 klink, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    Most likely not going to happen. Sid made a video explaining why.

9. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    Could you eventually just share your knowledge with us?you know,instead of letting us search thru every video now to find the answer ;-) Thanks

10. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA

Here you go Mr Crabman. Don't shoot the messenger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHecEJxOpyQ

11. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Unfortunately this comes so so close to being able to run on iPhone 6+ using ipa edit trick. It's just when you go to play, some buttons are off screen. Up till then the text is readable, even the smaller pre-game help summary screen.
    Sucks, so close yet so far. Hope they convert to iPhone, on the 6+ it'll have no problem.

Ironically this doesn't quite work using ipa edit but buz aldrin space programme does, even though it defshas way to small text.

12. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    I thought that might be a problem as it is so common on touch devices when the map requires scrolling. Glad I got the Steam Mac version.

13. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    That makes two people who have this problem. If you guys have a choice it might be better to go with the desktop version on Steam. It's the same price. Mouse and keyboard are just better than touch control for some game types.

14. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I haven't seen so many in this thread, just these:

- Screen scroll: until a fix is made, make sure to begin scrolling outside of the selected ship's range. It might be designed this way though.
    - Civ-o-pedia scroll: someone mentioned before this post where to move the finger so that it scrolls.
    - Slight gfx bugs when you update things, mainly beause the update is not reflected in the gfx.

These are the ones I've read of that I can think of now. Are they enough to avoid buying on release? I don't think so. I've seen many releases with far worse bugs than these ones...

15. Crabman

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    yeah,that counts for RTS but not for TBS games.They feel naturally at home on a touch screen and i would prefer it anytime over the tripple hardware mess (desktop/mouse/keyboard).

16. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Cubasis-do we know one another /FB ipadmusicians hrm

17. Crabman

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    Here is another one,if you check the Audiobus (or cubasis) forums you should have seen my name before ;)

18. Vomica

Vomica New Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Sweden
    Just fine, its is a bit slow and frame rate drops a bit from time to time, but it is perfectly playable.

Only did a medium map dunno how it performs on a epic map with 6 opponents on impossible (max settings).

If they only had made it universal so i can play it on my iphone instead (perfect pick up and play game, compared to CIV REV 2 ) the UI is highly scalable and should not be a problem. On the iphone 6/6+ atleast. Perhaps in the future it will get universal support.

19. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I'm on a mini retina, and the misfires / missteps abound on this bitch! I'm pretty pissed. I want to get deep with this, but it needs mad polish. On that you may rely!! Tut tut and all that sort of rot.

20. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Huh? I get it all but the last part ;).

I'm running flawless on air 2 but my son does have issues with some games on the mini b/c of the screen settings from the differences in size... Might try messaging 2k and see if others are experiencing the same issues..