iPhone Sid Meier's Starships (By 2K)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Mar 12, 2015.

1. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    It's a 4x game, it's the same type of 4x game as all others, with a space setting. It uses the landscape of Sid's beyond civilizations game.

The iPad UI is spot on in my opinion, it works very well. Lots of button options but definately my too cluttered. It's more accessible than baldurs gate and ice wind dales layouts, (but I'm a huge fan of those to)

The onjectives, some can be completed rather quickly, some do take longer, however, it's turn based, so after each turn you take, your gameplay is saved or recorded, so if you do have to stop and come back, you pick up where you left off.

I love it, I think t expands and goes deeper than Civ Rev and feels, looks and runs just like a PC game IMO.

2. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    I read that oddly enough starship customization is rather limited. Is that true?

3. BoneAppart

BoneAppart Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I'll agree with that based on the 1h I have spent this far.
    I can sum it up to upgrade your ships in 3 area: defensive (shield, armor), attack (weapons, fighters) and detection (radar). Research improves one of the 10 items on your ship...
    I can see this getting old very very quickly.
    My biggest problem right now is the ship movement operation is clunky. It is very easy to move a ship while trying to move the map. The game seems to think you want the ship where you placed your finger when you were simply trying to scroll the view to see another part of the map. Since there is no undo button (didn't see one) it is an issue. I have done it 4-5 times already. So when trying to move the map around one has to make sure to start finger movement OUTSIDE of the selected ship range...

4. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Finally, it's here.

5. khann

khann Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    You could always say the same about XCOM. I can see the combat being very similar but on a grander scale.

6. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #26 VirtualBoyFreak, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    Is this similar in any way to XCom? I mean gameplay-wise and always bearing in mind they're completely different games.

7. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Well SCREW YOU 2K,first of all,you don't release bioshock in Azerbaijan appstore and now you don't release starships in Azerbaijan appstore.Great,fu##### great.

8. khann

khann Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    They are similar in combat. You have similar controls as in you move your ship, fire (or use ability), and Hopefully use a little bit of impulse power to get the cover. I know cover in XCOM was usually walls and things you find outside, but in starships they're astroids. Also positioning is also a thing like in XCOM. Hitting a ship from the rear you can do a lot more damage, just like flanking a soldier. You specialize ships for close range combat vs long range like how soldiers are in xcom. But there are differences, like XCOM be more like a checkerboard and starships being more Hex. Also starships you don't have a percentage chance of missing, you just have a damage point penalty if you shoot somebody between asteroids. That is just combat. I haven't played it for very long, but the rest of it seems a lot different. 2k Firaxis made both, so they probably tried to carry on some of what makes xcom fun.

9. farley2k

farley2k Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2010
    532 MB in case anyone needs to know.

10. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I still contend that it is Ace Patrol with a light Civ wrapping in many ways which is only a good thing in my book.

11. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Hey khann, thanks a lot for this great comparison. It sounds like my cup of tea :)

12. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    I am confused how the battles work

13. Colgul

Colgul Active Member

May 15, 2013
    I see that this is a strategy light kind of game, is it worth spending the money on?

14. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Best game release of the year so far, really glad to have this on my iPad

15. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
  16. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    I wasn 't sure to get this game on steam or on my iPad but after checking some gameplays I believe this game was better for my iPad

17. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Can you choose a facing when you come to a stop?

18. Skypoint

Skypoint Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Only if you have enough movement points left. One facing change (one shift to the left or right) cost the same as moving one hex.

19. khann

khann Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    #39 khann, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    Are you talking about the direction you face after completing your move? If so, yes, but only if you have any moves left. Let's say you can move 6 spots that turn. You can move up five and then turn the ship once.

20. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    @khann @skypoint

Thanks both!