iPhone Sid Meier's Starships (By 2K)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Mar 12, 2015.

1. JEMelby

JEMelby Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    All Used Up

Well.. That was a fun diversion. I got my money's worth out of the game, so won't complain about that.

Even on Epic/Hard/6, the game is predictable, and won or lost in the first 2-3 turns. You either survive to build a maxed fleet, or you get rubbed out right away.

I found the most reliable path to be max stealth first (fleet upgrades, science boost, and auto-stealth wonder if you can get it). Literally, they can't shoot what they can't see, and the AI doesn't upgrade sensors till late in the game. Stealth and lob torpedoes at his fleet concentrations.

There's a magic intersection of tech about two-thirds through an epic/6 map where you win every battle with a double torp-salvo on the second turn (first turn where you can detonate Toros)

So... The game is beaten and re-playability is near zero till there's a content update - which I don't really expect.

Good game - get cracking on the next one.

2. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Given that the game is supposed to be built around replayability, everything you said actually makes it sound like it's the most horrible game in existence and that it should be avoided at all costs. I was on the fence before, but I think it's a miss for now.

3. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Very enjoyable. 5/5 highly recommended.

4. Zenfar

Zenfar Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    http://www.zenfar.com
    Civilization

As a complete Civilization V junkie I really need to give this title a look. Sid Meier's Starships is an obvious tie in with the new PC title Civilization: Beyond Earth but I just don't know if my free time can take the hit.

5. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    The silence is deafingly for this game. Sad because I had high hopes.

6. khann

khann Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Yeah. It is pretty sad. It seems to be poorly recieved by many, and I have little hope for any major update.

7. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    What this game lacks is more depth - mainly more core ship designs and ship boarding parties with turn by turn combat ( doesn't even have to fancy, can be done in 2D similar to most SNES games ).
    Game doesn't offer much fun after you master it and good graphic doesn't compensate for lack of gameplay.I'll say I enjoyed it for what it is, but regret buying it for full price as I got much more out of most other iOS game in this price range.

8. The Son of Anarchy

The Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    There was a recent update with 'minor bug fixes'. Did that fix any of the problems people have noted in this thread?

9. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Not likely and they were just as vague with the recent patch on Steam.

10. shlpd

shlpd New Member

Aug 5, 2014
    I was very excited for this game, but unfortunately after about half an hour of gameplay the jarring lack of depth became very evident. I do not recommend. The only way to make this game better is to overhaul it top to bottom. Uninstalled, and likely never to be played again. What a shame.

11. CrayonWarrior

CrayonWarrior Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land
  12. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Execellent. I jrecent,h picked up a copy of it. Hopefully this will fix some of the game play issues people were mentioning.

13. khann

khann Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    #193 khann, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015
    Yes! They (Enemies) follow victory conditions!!!!

14. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    According to App Shopper, the update includes all these things (image attached).

Attached Files:

15. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Was thinking about this game when I heard about it but the negative reviews made me hold back on it. Now that it is on sale I am trying to decide if it is worth getting? I also is my iPhone 6 more than my iPad for games so not sure if it worth getting or not.

Thoughts on if the game has improved with the updates?

16. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    If it costs more than a dollar I would pass.

17. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I have fun with it. It's an underrepresented genre on mobile.

18. BC1377

BC1377 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Currently on sale at 0.99, Worth buying or not? Anyone?

19. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Definitely worth buying for that price. I believe Starships is quite underrated and was worth the full price if you don't mind the lighter dose of strategy that Starships delivers. The problem, in my opinion, is that it was released on PC with a very mobile interface which turned many on that platform sour to the game and for others they expected something meatier and were eventually disappointed when the game didn't deliver the heavier strategy.

Overall I had fun playing the game and would probably still have it installed to play from time to time if I had a device with more storage. At the very least you would certainly get 0.99 worth of value from the game.

20. DTK

DTK Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Marketing
    Berlin Germany
    #200 DTK, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Last Update 2015, Graphics looks like 2010 (no Retina)! And the AI is very bad!

Instead of always throwing new games with the same weaknesses on the market, the few good 2K games should get a graphics and a performance upgrade. The name of Sid Meier once stood for HIGH QUALITY games!