Universal Sid Meier's Civilization® VI (by Aspyr Media)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by klink, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Same sale thats ongoing on Steam at the moment. Youll find the game to be the same lrice on Steam.

2. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Yes you can choose all that good stuff in the setup / advanced setup when you start a new game.

3. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Oh God the game is so expensive!!! Worth it?

4. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #64 zen_mode, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    As the App Store will technically allow you to download this on a Mini 2, can someone that's tried this post the results? I'd need to update to iOS 11 to test.

5. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    For those disappointed by the resolution, you can enable retina graphics by editing one of the settings files:

https://mobile.twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/status/943961794955153411

Amazingly the full debug menu is available. In addition, mods work, you just install them via iTunes File Sharing (just as you were able to get to that settings file.

6. AlexBi

AlexBi Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Boys... but really your complain about resolution and frame rate? You have Civilization VI (the MOST RECENT Civilization) on an ipad. If resolution and frame are are so important for you perhaps your aren’t a real Civilization addicted, a real Civilization fan.

The price is high, but if you want AAA title on ipad you must pay AAA price. And I paied as soon as I received aspyr mail.
    If 60 or even 30 dollars are too many bucks... perhaps we deserve Angry Bird 5 as top title...

7. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    +1! I have to agree 100%!

8. musk

musk Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Laussane
    Damn, this is impressive... and expensive... c'mon, it's 60€! But maybe it's just because we are not used to pay this on mobile, that's true. Luckily, if this works, might stop the freemium frenzy, and we might start to get good AAA games. Or not AAA, but good games. And less crap. If that's the case, I could get use to paying more. Who knows.

9. Jackaluk

Jackaluk Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    I can vouch for the retina config change. Works fine on my iPad Pro 10.5! Happy Days.

10. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Buy it now and it is only 32,99 €! I cannot understand why everybody says 60 Euros are sooo much instead of buying it simply for 32,- Euro ... :cool:

11. RazvanClau

RazvanClau Member

Sep 4, 2017
    #71 RazvanClau, Dec 22, 2017
    It is Civ 6 and it is on the iPad. This says it all.

However, I doubt this will penetrate the marketplace of non Civ fanatics. I'm sure that die-hard fans will buy it, at almost any price but I don't think that anyone else will. It is 60 EUR. When XCOM was launched at 20 EUR, it was considered way too expensive for the App Store. This is three times more.

Is it worth it? I don't know, I've tried to free up space but I gave up eventually on the idea.

Would I pay 60 EUR for Civ 6 on the iPad?

No. I've played Civ 3 as a kid, I've played Civ 5 on STEAM but honestly, I'm not a hardcore Civ player nor do I want to be. So for me, at this price, it is a no sell. Even at 20 EUR it would be a no sell.

On the other hand, if it was XCOM 2, after finishing XCOM 1 several times, I would gladly pay 30 EUR to have it on the iPad, lowered resolution and everything.

So their strategy is risky. This is a very attractive offer for a small part of the market and an obscenely expensive for everyone else. There are many people who have played Civ 6 for hundreds or thousands of hours on STEAM but how many do have iPads? How many do want to play on a tablet instead on a computer? How many are willing to pay the acquisition price again?

Some will ... but I hardly see this as a commercial success. The reason we don't have premium, high cost games on IOS is because most don't want to buy premium, high cost games. The sweet spot is between 5 and 10 EUR.

The same can be said about XCOM 2 when it is going to launch, if it is going to launch. It is far easier to sell IAPs for 60 EUR in six months than to ask 60 EUR upfront. It's simply about expectations. People pay 50 EUR for an XBOX ONE game because they've been conditioned that this is how much a game costs on XBOX ONE. The same can be said about Switch and other consoles. STEAM kind of ruined the full price game on the PC but nobody expects to get a premium game for 4.99 EUR unless it was launched four years ago and there is a 70% discount. Yet, consumers have been taught that a game on IOS is under $10 and no amount of quality will change this.

The irony here is not that the game is $60, as it is worth $60 (it is Civ 6). The irony instead is that people are far more willing to spend $60 in one month over IAPs than they are willing to shell out upfront for the full experience. There is a game, Motorsport Manager 2 - where there's an IAP for getting extra money. That IAP was exactly the price of the game and I'm willing to believe it made quite a lot of sales.

12. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    +1

This game is incredible. I literally never thought I'd be able to play a real Civ game (I don't have a gaming PC or console) so this is amazing :D

13. sguerreiro

sguerreiro New Member

Jan 25, 2011
    THANK YOU !! :D

Please, keep them coming ! Civ 6 is an insta-buy, hope more people buy it and send the right message: there's market for full, complex games on iOS !

Any other great games like this on your pipeline? Can you talk about this?

14. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    #74 Talbs, Dec 22, 2017
    Congratulations you've brought this discussion down to a lowely price point argument.

You raised two points
    1) you wouldn't pay 60 because it's three times XCOM, and two,
    2) ok maybe you would if it were XCOM 2.

Lol, well that's just you isn't it you twat.
    I for one welcome this game on to iOS at the going rate which is the same for console or any other platform. That's the going rate.

Piss off.

15. CrayonWarrior

CrayonWarrior Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land
    Is this the game to finally tip me over the edge and change to iOS 11??

16. lezrock

lezrock Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Manners plz.

17. KineticBlur

KineticBlur Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2014
    Bought... love it! Please add iPhone X support for KOTOR and Jade Enpire :(

18. bsurf

bsurf Member

Jul 18, 2014
    Save Games

How do you save progress? Whenever I quit back to the main menu I can't start from where I left off?

19. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    iOS 11 on the iPad is amazing to be honest, best update to hit ipads in years.

On my iPhone i dont care at all about iOS 11 (it actually made it worse than 10 i think ?) but on the iPad its a godsend, so many improvements.

If that game can drive you to give it a shot, go for it, youll be glad you did. (I assume you have an iPad Air 2/2017 or one of the iPad Pros)

If you are still on the free trial you cannot save, its just meant to be a way to try the game.

20. CrayonWarrior

CrayonWarrior Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land

Thanks for the reply, I have the original iPad Pro. Had the game on pc but my computer quit and I play exclusively on iOS now.