Universal Sid Meier's Civilization® VI (by Aspyr Media)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by klink, Dec 21, 2017.

1. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    The launch cost is $29.99 (USD) until Jan. 4.

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

It's released by Aspyr.

3. athros

athros Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    DevOps
    Colorado
    Question for the Aspyr folks: It looks like this is a couple of patches behind the PC version. Are there plans to get the summer and fall patches into the iOS version? Are the patches already there and the numbering scheme is just different?

4. Guls

Guls Member
    Patreon Bronze

Sep 14, 2012
    The TA review only talks about how it's running on iPad Pro. Anybody tried it on an iPad Air 2 and can tell me how well (or not well) it runs ?

Besides that, I think it's great that more companies are releasing "Premium" high-price/high-quality games on iPad. The XCOM:Enemy Unknown port was great, and I'm looking forward to playing some more of the Rome:Total War port which comes from Aspyr as well. Let's hope their bold move will pay off in terms of pricing, and we can get more high-quality ports in the future.

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

6. daan_vb

daan_vb Member

May 1, 2013
    I did the tutorial on my Air 2 and it was fine. But as others have mentioned it’s free to try so give it a spin

7. endem

endem Member

Aug 19, 2015
    Not with this resolution

I’m not spending 30 bucks for the game at this resolution. Sure, it is great, I played through the tutorial and love Civ games, but for the buck we at least need a resolution bump.

8. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    #48 Mythbuster, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    I have a Notebook with nVidia GTX1080 ... and yes, to Play Civ VI on a 4k screen the Notebook runs on full power ... I am sure there is no way to realize a game like Civ VI with the native resolution on a mobile device like a iPad!

I love to have a "real" Civ on the couch or anywhere else on a mobile device without any fan noise ... and in my opinion the graphics are not that bad at all!

9. archinerate

archinerate Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Can confirm, as soon as i read that it works on ipad mini 4, downloaded and bought the full game.

Funny thing is it has still pc options, such as key bindings for keyboard:D

10. pbb76

pbb76 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    You can connect a Bluetooth keyboard...

11. midasmulligan

midasmulligan Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2015
    That's unfortunate, particularly at this price point

12. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Really curious about others’ assessment of the AI. Is it at least much more competent than the initial PC release’s?

13. Verse

Verse Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    This is pretty damn sweet. However it worries me that there's no dlc or expansions as on the pc. Does this mean we'll never get that, or just that they'll add it in later for sure?

While it is super exciting to see such a big title on the App Store, it feels like a dumb buy if it doesn't come with the downloadable content that is already out, and will come in the future.

Also, that's a bold price. Not sure it'll do so well with that. I guess if there's one game which would make it for that price, it would be a civ game.

14. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    people pay $60 for a console game or pc and doubt seem to bat a eye-lid over it. So why the "well i dont know about this cause of the price"?

I recently saw someone write a review to a game in the app store saying that for $7 its too dear unless it got free month updates. I mean come on what does someone expect to have for $7!!

15. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    There’s some small DLC / promotion stuff included such as the Aztec tribe which I don’t think was available on day 1 for the PC or was only available for certain editions, can’t remember exactly...and a couple of other small dlc / promotion items included.

It is a bold price and hopefully the Civilization name carries enough weight that people will be willing to pay the full-featured price mainly because I want to see more big name games on the App Store with few compromises. Maybe Civ 6 is going to be the litmus test for other big games. I’m sure 2k is going to pay close attention to how well this is going to be received.

16. midasmulligan

midasmulligan Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2015
    I can appreciate the developer put out a demo of sorts. However, having played it now, I must say this thing looks terrible. Again, we’re not talking about a free to play game here, we’re talking about a 30-60 premium game, that at those prices, is competing against similar games at similar price points. This is unacceptable from a frame rate and resolution perspective and certainly not worth the asking price.

17. JasonLL

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Yep and that’s why Skyrim is on the Switch and not on iOS. I don’t want to be too cynical but I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a good amount of negative reviews since anyone will be able to write a review for Civilization 6 since the entry fee is free. I hope I’m wrong and we see many more positive or fair reviews rather than someone give it a 1 star because of the price point.

18. JasonLL

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    #58 JasonLL, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    I am running Civ 6 on the iPad Pro and the frame rate seems smooth but I’m only a bit into it and it may improve with future updates. I do agree that it would have been nice to see a higher resolution. I certainly don’t expect it but maybe a higher resolution could be included in the future for the IPads that support it. I remember Aspyr adding a bit more polish to KoTOR when they made that game universal. Still I can understand being a bit disappointed in the lower resolution or frame rates for the asking price.

Just want to add that by default movement is set to “quick”. For the first ten minutes of the tutorial I thought that was the normal movement. Went into the options and changed the movement speed to normal and turned day / night cycle on and I prefer that much better. Now my units move smoothly along the map in all their animated glory :D.

19. DTK

DTK Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Marketing
    Berlin Germany
    It‘s a utopian price for Civilization 6, I mean € 32.99 per IAP (German Appstore)!? This civilization version is the most expensive paid game in the Appstore! Is it true thats this price is a -50% release sale?

20. Jackaluk

Jackaluk Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Hey Guys, to anyone that has purchased it. I assume once purchased you can chose race, map size etc? Demo just seems to have small play now maps!?!?