Universal Sid Meiers Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by squabs, Nov 6, 2013.

1. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    (Rant on)

A side note for Battlefront.com and BTS:

See? You can make quasi-serious wargames on iOS platform (and on Android too, alright) and people buy them! Please stop making half-baked attempts that ruin your "label". "There is no try". If you are porting any of your old air combat themed wargames on it, I am buying.

(Rant off)
    -----

Having fun so far and I prefer this over WWI air combat, mainly because WWII is more my cup of tea.

Humm, I am not going all in about historical accuracies stuff so I don't mind playing with one eye shut.

If I happen to demand something in this department, I will be looking at Mr. Tiler...

2. Spacemutiny

Spacemutiny Member

Oct 4, 2010
    I have a question about both Ace Patrol titles. I see that they randomly select from a mission pool to give the campaign more replay value. Are the missions themselves random in any way? For instance could I play the same mission in a second or third playthrough and have a different amount of enemies or other random factors?

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    A fair question and I'm not super sure. What further confuses stuff a bit is how even in a single campaign the same titled mission can come up multiple times and seems a little randomized (not 100%) in things like AA guns and cloud coverage, but is it that they've randomized stuff or for each named mission there are some 3 variations?

4. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Is there any control over the ships? Either way, are they re-skinned, glorified bases with AA guns from the first game or are they more dynamic?

5. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    From what I've seen so far, I'm thinking re-skin.

6. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies seems like a reskin because the Japanese pilots still speak English with a German accent...

It is as different to the first Ace Patrol as Terror from the Deep was from the first XCom.

7. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Does Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies become significantly different later in the game? I have completed the tutorial and played a few missions, but the sameness with the original Ace Patrol is really getting to me...

8. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    There are many subtle differences but this is still 90% based on the exact same idea as the original.

I think the biggest stink, and maybe rightfully so, appears to be with the new plane damage system. I guess in a nod to being somewhat realistic, the only repairs are made post 4 mission operation, so if there isn't anybody else available the game has no qualms with FORCING you to fly with some 80% damaged craft (if the enemies even look at it funny it will go down)!

9. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I've had my eye on this since release.

Why should I buy this over the first one which is free?

That's the only thing holding me back. :confused:

I see LordGek answered some of this above. Damaged planes. Anything else like deeper upgrades or more maneuvers?

10. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    #90 currymutton, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    If your current ride is heavily damaged, and you have another plane in hanger, you can choose another plane to fly the mission.

I am not sure how fast planes got fixed during that time, but since I am not looking for high realism, I can give this a free ride.

From my limited knowledge, there were cases that the pilot took damaged planes onto missions (e.g. a Japanese Zero flight leader with a leaky fuel tank during Midway) in the heat of the battle. Many planes ran out of fuel and/or damaged were forced landed on (shark-infested) water. I wonder if the later can ever get repaired like this. I think getting a new one is far more economical.

Bug report: notice that in USN campaign, if one of the pilots got shot down and the other one sweeps all the scores, the surviving pilot gets far more kill count than he/she actually does!

11. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    What's this crap? Sky Gamblers storm raiders does this a hundred times better and is a hell of a lot better looking for the same price! I mean you get a cockpit view and everything. I can't believe what some companies try to get away with and it's like they don't check the competition to see if there's anything comparable! It's stupid!

12. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    I am not sure if this is the right comparison, it is like, say CoD verses Jagged Alliance or FIFA 2014 verses Football Manager. Yup, both Sky Gamblers and this are about WWII areal combat, but one is more action-oriented and the other is more on the tactics side.

13. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Kind of a completely different game aye. May as well try and compare this to galaxy on fire. Bet no one thought that game name would appear in this thread. Completely different games. One is like a first person flying shmup, and the other is a TBS.

14. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    I would also not compare it to say, Tilt to Live or Sonic the Hedgehog.

I'm really enjoying this game! Its perfect for 1/2 hour plays whenever I have some spare time

15. Kidkaos2

Kidkaos2 Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Women didn't fly combat sorties off US aircraft carriers in WW2. And even if they did, turning them off wouldn't be "sexist". This is a game. I don't care if a female player wants female characters in her game and it doesn't matter if this guy wants men in his. There's no sexism involved either way. Sexism is losing a promotion or being harassed. It isn't what gender a video game character is.

16. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    I have both the original Ace Patrol as well as as Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies. I could not get enough of Ace Patrol when it was released and bought every single IAP, some multiple times. Yes, Ace Patrol was a paidmium game. However, after unlocking everything, I, as well as some of the other players found that what was unlocked was not substantially new. Just tweaks to the stats here and there.

So just download the free Ace Patrol and just play the included campaign for free. That is like 90% of the game right there. The rest won't matter if you are not the hardcore type.

17. Gavx

Gavx Active Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Saves don't work :(

18. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Here no problem .. even in the cloud! :cool:

19. Gavx

Gavx Active Member

Jul 5, 2013
    #99 Gavx, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    Many others has tha same problem saves don't work - I make refund stupid game give me back my money :)))))))))

BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME DEVS

20. Gavx

Gavx Active Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Warning !!!

This game has major problem with saves don't buy this crap !!!