Universal Sid Meiers Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by squabs, Nov 6, 2013.

1. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok, played a few missions of Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies as the US Navy in the campaign. Why are the Japanese pilots speaking English with a German accent, is what I want to know...

2. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    That's a good question. I have only gotten free apps from other countries outside of my own (US). If I were to pay for foreign apps, I'd probably play it safe and get an iTunes card from that region. I've done similar with Japanese PS3 games on the Sony store and it works great.

3. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Not sure if this is a cynical statement made to put down this game, but the Ace Patrol games are actually of great quality and definitely worthy of his name being attached to it.

4. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    #64 Mene, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    Played about 30 missions now, my opinion fwiw.

Good

+ Well worth £3, HEAPS of missions to play
    + No iap or consumables
    + not just a re-skinned Air combat
    + great fun to play and has the 'just one more mission' addiction

Bad

- Pilots aren't KIA even with 'permadeath' turned on, only injured (note: I'm not some sicko wanting blood and guts, just like my realism in these games)
    - Graphics seem a step down on the original game
    - Ocean seems to be 6 foot deep as when aircraft go into the sea, their tail sticks out ;)

Overall if you liked the first one this is an instant buy!!

5. Loke2112

Loke2112 Active Member

Jan 31, 2012
    I was wondering what type of MP this game has? Is it just leaderboards or is there turn based MP gameplay? Thanks in advance!

6. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Actual one on one asynch or hotseat multiplayer.

7. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah, I was a little disappointed at this implementation at first, with "permadeath" than being a weird term for this option, BUT, it's actually kind of clever. If you have permadeath enabled your killed pilot actually suffers a fate WORSE THAN DEATH IN THIS GAME, his perk/maneuvers are completely reset to fresh newbie status!

So the game gives you this simple choice:
    1) Never have any downtime with your pilots at the risk of them losing all of their skills.
    2) Allow them to have a little "vacation" in POW camp where they retain their skills once they come back.

Another interesting tweak with this incarnation is the ZILLION leaderboards. This is the first game I've seen to obliterate the old hard coded limit of 25 game center leaderboards (I guess, via subdirectories, you may even be able to go 25x25 if not more).

8. Loke2112

Loke2112 Active Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Sweet thats what I was hoping for! Downloading. Please add me Loke2112

9. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
  10. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Did you even read the article? Unless there are missions in this game where you "test recently repaired aircraft, shuttle supplies, and air-chauffeure top brass", then it is not historically accurate to have women pilots in this game.

Not that I personally care, and I have the women turned on in my game (pun not intended), but if you are going to "call someone out" like that, at least don't be ignorant of the facts yourself, especially when you link to them.

11. Loke2112

Loke2112 Active Member

Jan 31, 2012
    In other news...great game so far! Can't wait to try MP and get my butt kicked!

12. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    I challenged you to a game! I'm chaosmaje.

13. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Linking to an article that contradicts your own point. That's classic

14. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
  15. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    That was a bad article to link certainly, but at the very least Russian women did fly combat missions in WW2, notably the 588th night bomber regiment, nicknamed the "Night Witches" by the Nazis. They also had to fly incredibly outdated biplanes that held only 2 bombs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Witches
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_women_in_World_War_II#Pilots

16. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I think my only whine, not that I even care that much about the true historical nature, is that IF we're going to play with female pilots why don't our campaign opponents in either this or the original SMAP do the same?

17. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #77 Bool Zero, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    Wasn't this subject already disputed and resolved when the original game released? There were women pilots in WWII!, regardless of how you want to qualify their status (combat or otherwise). A simple Bing or Google search will bring up evidence to support such facts. Your playing fictional outcomes of sorties in real theaters anyway, so a modicum of leeway should be in order as to "historical accuracy". Get over it....

18. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Article posted just an hour ago:

http://jezebel.com/badass-women-wwii-pilots-to-be-honored-with-rose-bowl-f-1460189439

Attached Files:

19. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Thank you for bringing some common sense to this debate, which is absurd to begin with. You'd think the option to remove female pilots would be enough to silence those so concerned with historical "accuracy".

20. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    I've no idea why the person took such offence, all I said was (and you can go back and read it) 'you can turn off female pilots'.. That's it. Just stating a game option.

Anyway.. On topic, just noticed a little disappointing thing, if an aircraft crashes into a ship, the ship doesn't explode or seem to take damage. The aircraft just sticks through it. :(