Sick of Foreign game Descriptions

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by olliewollie, Sep 28, 2010.

1. olliewollie

olliewollie Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    Im getting sick of going to the app store, looking at a game and all I can see are images (Foreign language) and a bunch of foreign sentences. What's the point of having different app stores in different countries if developers are just going to release the one for there language as an international release.

Really apple should require that they stick to the national language of the app store they are posting there apps on, Maybe even have a built in translator.

What do you think?

2. olliewollie

olliewollie Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    Lol, I just found an app with <-/ as it's desciption! And it's paid.

3. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #3 Cilo, Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
    I love it, engrish is hilarious.

Plus it's like a game within a game, trying to find out what the hell the app does by pictures and the title only.

Honestly, one of my best camera apps has no english whatsoever in the description, or even in any of the settings within the app, although it's all pretty self explanatory. Only reason I took the plunge however, is it's free, and hey I'm not going to knock this guy, who for whatever reason is trying to reach a wider audience by posting his app on the US store. There are numerous enclaves of people from different ethnicities here in Los Angeles, and I don't take offense to them relating to one another through whatever means - be it markets, restaurants, festivals, or even apps in a digital store. I could choose to not look at it, but sometimes you might discover something interesting and maybe from a fresh perspective if you brighten your horizons a bit.

If anyone else is interested the developer is KTH and the app is called Pudding Camera, either of those will work in the app store search.

4. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I agree with Cilo. Engrish owns. But I have to admit, it doesn't give me much hope that the game will be great.

5. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Quite simple really: for example, Japanese developer doesn't really know enough English to make a meaningful description, so they stick with Japanese only. They release to Japan App Store, but tick all locations anyway. By doing this,
    a) they might have some native Japanese customers residing overseas
    b) might be afew foreigners who have studied Japanese and understand what they're saying
    c) game might be quirky enough to attract curious non-Japanese speaking players!

Bottom line: it doesn't hurt the developer to distribute worldwide.

6. coralium

coralium Active Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Student
    A build in translator couldn't hurt. Considering iTunes text is not selectable, there's no simple way to understand what the dev is saying.

7. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Google translate is an option.