Universal Shufflepuck Cantina (+ GOLD) by Agharta Studio

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 12, 2012.

1. globalist

globalist Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    #61 globalist, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
    -we can't render the game table death while in Portrait mode,
    Do you mean the breaking glass thing? I don't much care for that as long as I get a more precise and solid gameplay on a top-down view, portrait-oriented table

- there is no room to display the score
    I'd display it above the goal line but that's just me

- NO room on the sides to play!
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. But looking at the 2p mode there's at least 1cm wasted by the border on each side so if you'd remove that we could get the same dimensions of the table as in 1p mode, could we not?

2. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    It's your game, and you seem to have made up your mind about it, but it seems to me that a one-handed gameplay design would work better on the iphone, and when you're looking down a long table at your opponent, a portrait orientation would provide the most GAMEPLAY information, like the many skeeball and pinball games we have seen in the App Store. There would be less room for the cute character animations, though.
    [​IMG]

The 1988 original was neat, but as you've already shown, it's not the only way to deliver this. Note the absence of a big thumb in both pictures. ;-)
    [​IMG]

3. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    #63 oooooomonkey, Sep 13, 2012
    Hmmm I really want to enjoy this partly for nostalgia as I played the origonal back on my amiga for ages. But on my iPod touch I'm having a real hard time with controlling it on the small screen. I'm deleting it now as it just doesn't work aswell as I'd hoped for.
    I think portrait mode would probably help as the main reason I'm struggling is because of the small amount of space along the bottom of my screen.
    Glad I waited before purchasing any IAP, like I said it looks really nice and brings back some cool memories but sadly not very playable.

(I'd love an old school joystick Atari style with one button paired by Bluetooth!) well I'll keep dreaming.

4. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    The developer's other stuff is in the Mac App Store, so we'll probably see a big-screen port someday. That would explain his reticence to make a vertical option for this game. :cool:

5. aghartastudio

aghartastudio Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    the game is perfectly playable on iphone on landscape mode guys...
    you must play holding the phone with the left hand and using the left finger index, the mallets is displayed ABOVE the finger and is not hidden.

6. globalist

globalist Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I'm not even playing on iphone, lol. But even on ipad I think this would greatly benefit from portrait mode. :p

7. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    At least on the iPad, the current orientation is great for me.

8. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    No problems here, perfectly playable on my iPhone. Getting a hang and beating all three of the first characters constantly now. It's actually not that hard, give the puck some forward momentum and you will win.

9. Arwenshade

Arwenshade Active Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Kongsberg, Norway
    A Little bit off topic, But DAMN that 1112 trailer was awesome

10. Arwenshade

Arwenshade Active Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Kongsberg, Norway
    A Little bit off topic, But DAMN that 1112 trailer was awesome!! And the song... Oh my. What artist is that, anybody know?

11. punch.rockgroin

punch.rockgroin Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Guess our definitions of "perfect" must vary then. I found it extremely uncomfortable to control the way you suggest and I don't even have particularly big fingers.

12. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #72 Ayjona, Sep 13, 2012
    I would be curious to see a definition of "perfectly playable" that is NOT subjective. Please, do illustrate ;)

I can understand why some or many find the current control/screen setup uncomfortable. I find it supremely practical and playable, however.

The game is challenging, though, even with good mastery of the controls. That is one of the primary points of attraction for me.

Which you can also obtain by playing the game for ten minutes to half an hour, having fun as you go. If you actually enjoy the shufflepucking, that is.

If not, then yeah, purchasing IAP for an artificial sense of progression is probably the only appeal of this title :p

13. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    The smaller wider paddle costs 10k credits. Suggesting that you can make that much in 10 minutes of play is ridiculously misleading. A half hour is merely a sizable misestimation. Honestly, I've come to expect more from you on past experiences.

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    OK, maybe it's my fault I have an Otterbox Defender, but:

1) My left hand is numb.
    2) My right index finger is going to fall off if it hits the raised side of the cover another 1000 times.

Seriously contemplating deleting this, but every time I hover my finger over the icon, I hear "Oh new new new new" in my head. sdfkhsjkhfjksdhfjkhdsjkfhjkdhs

15. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    #75 GregB, Sep 13, 2012
    I'm just not very good at shuffle pucking! My reflexes are not what they used to be!

This feels like the best hockey I've played on my iPhone and iPad though and the special shots they throw at me are a great element.

I feel no iap stress though. Will be fun to earn and get different paddles and shots for myself. May have to get some or toss a bit in the tip jar for this great game to ;-)

16. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    It's unplayable on touch and hard as hell maybe next game will be better here's to 1112 episode 4

17. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If you expect anything beyond empiricism, then I'm afraid you'll be continually and repeteadly disappointed by my posts ;)

But I will back up my preposterous estimation with data. Defeating M4rv1n in bet mode, an easy enough task, with a perfect 3-0, takes sligthly less than 25 seconds, plus another 5 for choosing to replay, and nets you 150 credz (not quite sure why it yields 150, since the bet description says 105, so perhaps this is something that might be nerfed in a patch). Combined with mission pay-offs, coins picked up from the table and X2 bonuses, I just made slightly more than 7000 in 15 minutes (clocked and measured), not always scoring a perfect, but without any lost games.

The same approach on the second floor, once you've the skill to faultlessly defeat Ayato, will net you 220 per perfect victory (again, not possible to achieve in every game, but often enough), which together with missions, coin pickups and X2 bonuses gets you closer to 10000 per 10 minutes.

I haven't been to the third floor yet, but if the credz reward increase in bet mode is reasonably linear, 10000 per ten minutes is achievable on a semi-regular basis. Which is enough to warrant the "Which you can also obtain by playing the game for ten minutes to half an hour" estimation. I'm close enough to the low end of that number on the second floor.

In half an hour, a better woman or man than me could even perhaps have their pick of paddles, plural, reminding us that it is never wise to mistestimate a misestimator.

Yep. I never claimed anything to the opposite effect in my post (nor did you mention the larger wider paddle in your first post), nor did I try to rely on my considerable wit and guile to subliminally insert the message of the easily achievable 15000 credz paddle into the collective consciousness of the TA community ;)

Since we're on the subject of expectations, straw man techniques is not quite what I expected from someone of your polemic mettle ;) But I console myself with the suspicion that this was actually not your intention, and temper my disappointment with a reminder to myself of the tenuous nature of the sender-receptor relationship, particular in gaming forums. I.E., I might be completely wrong in my assumptions regarding your intentions ;)

Heh, I can tell you've been saving that for the opportune moment, savouring every second of expectation of the day when it might apply ;) It must feel delightful to use one of the most classical veiled argumentum ad hominem in an internet forum discussion. Space helmet off to you, for that was a splendid example of how to disarm someone of an opposing view (yes, really, no irony or sarcasm, not even when I say "no irony or sarcasm") :)

18. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    congrats Agharta, this is an excellent game in every aspect!!! thanks a lot! :)

19. aghartastudio

aghartastudio Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    #79 aghartastudio, Sep 13, 2012
    well i don't want to be rude or anything, but my Girlfriend is currently ranked 1st worldwide with 90 000 score points, and she plays with an itouch;)

20. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    #80 GregB, Sep 13, 2012
    Perhaps the higher-than-stated payout is related to your level. Looks like there may be a bonus percent for different events as you level up.

I didn't realize 3-0 would end the game. Back to practicing!

EDIT: Just beat Furry 5:0 but the game didn't end at 3:0. Is that right? Maybe you meant win by 3?