Universal Shufflepuck Cantina (+ GOLD) by Agharta Studio

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 12, 2012.

1. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Wow! This game is a great example of freemium done right. Super polished with fun and simple game play and no in-your-face demands to buy stuff. So well done, it makes me want to buy stuff ;-)

2. MrGreed

MrGreed Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Can someone confirm what the ILOVEAGHARTA IAP does??

Probably gives the coin doubler and something else im guessing ???

Wish this game was vertical orientation would be SOOOOO much easier and natural...i know the devs will switch this its easy and will make the game alot easier to play for my big hands (started to cramp up sliding off the edge of the screen)

3. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Nothing, really. You get a statue, and that's about it.
    (Note, I haven't got it yet, just from what I've read)
    It's more of a "Hey, I like what you've done. Thumbs up!"

I would rather they didn't make it vertical... that would limit the horizontal space pretty severely.

4. MrGreed

Feb 2, 2012
    Still feel like my hand is falling off the side of my screen (got big fingers), I think that this game could be adapted to either vertical or horizontal as a main screen control option.

If not there has to be an increase in receiving Credz. I am finding that winning a match on perfect WITH a Credz doubler I purchased for $2 yields me only 205 Credz. COME ON!

Overall, one of my favorites in a long time, maybe the best free game of all time. Just so much to do and such great detail and polish! But VERY hard damnit!

Also with all this grinding im doing I hope there is going to be iCloud support bc I dont think there is currently. Would hate to grind and grind and grind and lose all my purchases and achievements ala Jetpack Joyride, will never forget how much grinding I lost one app crash.

5. Hex Blade

Hex Blade Well-Known Member

May 11, 2012
    #45 Hex Blade, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
    This game reminds me of Shufflepuck cafe. I used to play it on my Atari ST years ago.

Even though this is better graphically and deeper gameplay mechanics, I kind of wish it was just a Shufflepuck Cafe port...for the nostalgia. I've not played it for over 25 years.

As for this game, it's good but a little too hard for my liking. My reflexes aren't what they used to be ;)

6. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I have been playing for about an hour, and I have to say this game is incredible. I lost my first 5 matches, then I began to kick that robot's ass! I agree with all that has been said, by E7 and others. And I'm seriously considering purchasing the 'DURANIUM CARD' IAP, which doubles all Credz earned in matches, for £1.49p. I've only bought IAP in 2 other games, that I can recall. Such great work deserves to be rewarded.

Worked on this for a year, you say? It shows.

7. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    The 'I LOVE AGHARTA' IAP will give you 2,000 Credz, 10 tokens and 10,000 points. And an achievement :p

The 'DURANIUM CARD' IAP is the coin doubler, also gives you 20 tokens, I think. And an achievement :p

8. FilipAGuy

FilipAGuy Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2012
  9. punch.rockgroin

punch.rockgroin Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Might be good on the ipad, but I find it completely unplayable on the iphone. All of the action is taking place on one square inch, and my finger keeps blocking my view. This makes the controls uncomfortable and leaves almost no time to react to the opponents shots. I gave it about 20 tries before deleting it because I really wanted to like this game, but it's just irritating and frustrating trying to play this on my phone.

10. MrGreed

Feb 2, 2012
    This is the reason why I felt the game needed to have a vertical mode that would allow more room for my finger to move left and right while still seein the puck and anticipating a move.

Sliding my fat finger on the bottom portion of the screen (while it is horizontal) is a janky control scheme.

At least give the option to move the control area up a bit!

11. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Wow, everything about this game is pretty much amazing. I also love that the game is quite hard, the original was damn hard as well, but that's what's making it so addicting.

2 things I don't like:

1) The Star Wars cantina music is a fun reference but totally annoying after a couple of minutes, no wonder that they weren't over-using it in the movie as well :) In the first five seconds it makes you smile, after some minutes of playing it's rather damn annoying.

2) ...and this is something - seeing all that polish - that makes me almost angry: WHY are the characters not watching the game?! It just feels like a random animation behind a table not linked to their paddle at all. Especially with the woman it just looks wrong having her dancing behind the table not even watching the game slightly. That extremely wasted. Even the guys in the original game - although not animated at all - at least followed the puck with their eyes. Gosh.... really, I just can't understand this decision to not link character and game at least a bit more except for the winning and losing animations... hm.

But everything else is stunning, so I will keep playing but will always be a bit angry at these random dudes behind the table.

12. punch.rockgroin

punch.rockgroin Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    #52 punch.rockgroin, Sep 13, 2012
    I agree, I kept searching for the options menu to change the orientation, but wasn't even able to find the options. I was really disappointed when I read here that it's horizontal only.

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    The difficulty is a refreshing change and there's no need to even comment on the presentation and polish in the game; it's quite astounding. That said, yeah...it's in DIRE need of portrait mode. This is damn near impossible and quite impossible to play with an Otterbox Defender case. I thought it was a bit silly of Gabrien to talk about physical pain in the "Oh Hi! Octopi!" thread, but I feel it...my hands are aching after about half an hour of gameplay. Please, please consider portrait Agharta.

14. kevin paquet

kevin paquet Active Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Vertical. Please.

If this app gets updated to the new iPod touch and iPhone 5 screen resolution... Horizontal is become even more tedious.

15. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    #55 Echoseven, Sep 13, 2012
    Imo, if this turns vertical it will feel more like a brick breaker than air hockey.

That's not to say I'm against the idea, as long as it would be optional. Personally, I'd only use the landscape mode anyway.

16. aghartastudio

aghartastudio Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    It's a bit harder to play on the iphone version since the puck is smaller, but the game is slighly easier in compensation we were able to have the same scores and way of playing between ipads and iphones
    for the ipad version it may be easier to follow the puck but you have to make extra movement in compensation

the original game is only available on landscape mode too. using vertical mode will be unplayable because of the lack of horizontall space!
    you can already have a taste of it when playing two player mode if your tap on the table in any scene

17. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    The original game is also playable with one hand, using a mouse. In horizontal mode, this is not possible, and as other have pointed out, there's very little space to see what is happening on the screen when a fat thumb is blocking all the action. I hope all the feedback will help you reconsider this choice. :)

18. globalist

globalist Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    #58 globalist, Sep 13, 2012
    Well, yes and the 2-player mode is perfectly playable so I don't see why you couldn't implement an option to be able to switch the single player mode to vertical as well? I mean what horizontal space would you be losing in 1p mode that you're not losing in 2p mode? :)

Fantastic game otherwise, but this definitely needs to be implemented.

19. aghartastudio

aghartastudio Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    #59 aghartastudio, Sep 13, 2012
    the only way to have a "playable" portrait mode would be to remove everything on the game but the table the mallets and the puck (IE: 2 player game)
    we can't render the game table death while in Portrait mode,there is no room to display the score, and the animation and NO room on the sides to play! think about it a little more

actually we tried it in an early version of the game and it wasn't working

still we may add a "switch to top view" command in a later update (topview is working but less fun)

20. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World