Universal Shred It! (by EM Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 24, 2014.

1. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    To the devs - if I buy something will it remove the ads?

If not could you add a "remove ads" IAP?

'Cuz for me this one is a keeper!

Thanks

2. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Currently buying something doesn't remove the ads. The developer said a couple of pages back that they are adding a "remove ads" IAP in the next update. They said the tried to add it in the most recent update but it wasn't working correctly so they had to leave it out.

3. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Thanks a bunch!

4. ShredIt!

ShredIt! Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Thanks for that extra info on the 'freezing'.

We've had a few reports of this, and one thing we added in this build which might possibly be causing this is Google Analytics.

We want to use it to find out things like how far people get down the hill, and how often, so we can tweak the difficulty level to make sure the game is challenging but not unfair.

We have discussed the possibility of staggered starts but there is an awful lot involved as each of the stages have there difficulty levels quite finely tuned - so if new users chose to start at stage 4 (the ice and snow stage) then there's a high chance of frustration.

This general issue with infinite runners is something though that we would like to tackle in some way if we can.

Shred It! Support

5. ShredIt!

Sep 25, 2014
    Yes, seeing a video would be really helpful.

As I said in a previous post the actual collision areas for objects are smaller than the objects themselves. There are definitely no hidden objects intended to trip players up.

I'm not doubting you're seeing something you think is doing this, but I think it's likely to be some kind of 'optical illusion'. If the perception is that a certain object is unfair though, then we can look and see if we can tweak the design to make it clearer what is making you fall.

On the business side of things, we wish more people would think as you do, but the way the mobile games business is these days, the vast majority of people do not want to pay any amount of money at all.

It's actually very frustrating for developers - especially when you see 1* reviews given for some small flaw... for something that the player got for free.

What I meant by being fair to players was doing things like making the whole game available for free, with no annoying things like having to wait to play again, or Candy Crush style choke points where it's almost impossible to proceed without paying.

Anyway, if you can post a link to an EveryPlay video with your collision issues we will see what we can do.

Shred It! Support

6. ShredIt!

Sep 25, 2014
    Can't think of anything that might be causing that.

If you try installing again from iTunes, so long as you haven't deleted your current install, it should keep all of the clips you've earned.

If it is crashing at that point I'm not sure what could be causing that, especially when it worked on your device before.

Let us know if a reinstall helps.

Shred It! Support

7. istako

istako Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Couldnt reinstall via iTunes, do I reinstalled the manual way through the appstore. Lost my data, but the game ran so I had the chance to play some more. Total of 5 hours about now spent in the game. Im sorry, you can say what you want, but the game spawns unavoidable traps. I wish I had a way to snap a screenshot in those moments to ask how would I be supposed to avoid what was infront of me, but I am not that fast. The system is good, but it needs tweaks. for instance, after a treant which forces me to duck, nowhere within less of a jumpdistance after said treant should some stumps or stones be spawned, it gives miliseconda of reeaction time and it was just the first stage... It was simply unavoidable and I am sure of it. I hope you tweak it a bit more, I really feel some of my deaths unfair. Also, where in the game is it explained how many leaves equal a clip? This is one of the things in the game that I dislike. Gamers like to see what t hey are collecting, sure the game tells me when I get one or five, but not in alk cases do I feel in control of that, and this is something important. I think you should make a 5 leaf streak equal 1 clip and add a counter to the leaf streaks, and make the clip count increase with the "combo". Its much more intuitive and tactile for the gamer. I still feel that clips are way too slow to gather, but now that I think about it I think its an illusion built by the exact fact that I dont feel like Im gathering these pins, but being rewarded with them for reasons cosmic.
    Anyway, supported you guys, the game is really, really fun! I just bought the doggy and working towards making him a werewolf. Loving his design! =]

8. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Actually the game makes it very easy to capture video of what happened at the end of the run, now that it has Everyplay integration. At the end of your run, tap the Share button (It's the button with the Facebook and Google+ icons on it), and the right-most option will be a video option, which gives you the option to post the last 30 seconds of your run to Youtube or Everyplay. You can also watch the video right there on your device, by just dismissing the keyboard that pops up and playing the video. A few times when I thought something was impossible, when I watched the video replay I decided that it hadn't really been. But if you do find an impossible trap you can post a video of it.

9. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    I noticed on the leaderboards that all the players on level 5 have a skull and crossbones next to their score instead of a star. What does that mean?

10. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    I'm having a lot of issues with swiping up activating the airdrop screen. I assume it's not possible for a swipe game to deactivate the airdrop?

11. ShredIt!

Sep 25, 2014
    We found that some people were playing the game with hacked versions that gave them unlimited continues.

Not much we can do about that unfortunately, but this meant that they could cheat their way to the top of the leaderbords, which would be unfair to genuine players.

So where we detect players have used an unreasonable number of continues we mark their score with a skull and crossbones so non-cheats know who is really top of the charts.

Shred It! Support

12. ShredIt!

Sep 25, 2014
    I am pretty sure that for an app to deactivate that is an Apple submission fail.

But we will check that out.

Shred It! Support

13. jn2002dk

jn2002dk Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    Good job!:)

14. istako

istako Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Cant get this or twitter to work either... And by the way, crashing here again. This game does not like me. Every time I stop playing for more than 2 hours the game starts crashing, and I got so far this time!... Again lost everything. Support?... Anyone else with iPad 2 crashing?

15. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    #95 bilboa, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    I have a feature request for the dev. I would like an option to make the game only save scores to the leaderboard for runs with zero continues. By default this option would be off, and the game would behave the same as it does now, but if someone wants to only have the scores for their 0-continue runs saved, they could enable this option.

The reason I'd like this is because for me, scores which were gotten using continues are meaningless. But that doesn't mean I never want to use continues; I'd still like to use them sometimes just to be able to play later stages. As of this morning, I had the highest gold-star score on the leaderboards, which I felt quite good about. Then I did a run and used a couple of continues, because I wanted to see what stage 5 looks like. I ended up getting a higher score than my gold star run, and my gold star score got replaced on the leaderboard by a bronze star score, which kind of bums me out since now I have no record of my gold score.

Maybe you could call the new option "hardcore mode". You would still be allowed to use continues, but it would either not save your score if you use one, or your score would reset to 0 every time you use one.

Another option would be to make it so gold-star scores always count as a higher score than other scores, so your gold star score would never get overwritten by other scores even if they're higher. That might be too confusing though.

16. istako

istako Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2012
    I give up, thos game simply doesnt work for some reason with my ipad. Im not going through 3 hours of gameplay again. Maybe i will try it again after a few updates when most bugs have been fixed, but until then, im uninstalling... No point of it simply taking up space with these constant crashes. I was just getting into it... :(

17. ShredIt!

Sep 25, 2014
    Really sorry to hear that Istako.

We have actually today submitted a 1.2 to the App Store.

In it we have optimised certain graphic textures which we hope will ease the burden on 'low' memory devices - mainly the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4S which after a period of persistent play can sometimes crash.

I would say though that because of the nature of the game, a crash (whilst very annoying) should not lose anything you'd done previously.

1.2 also has a new game mode which we hope people will enjoy.

Hope you give it a try again when it is released, which will probably be towards the end of next week.

Shred It! Support

18. ShredIt!

Sep 25, 2014
    You make a very valid point, and I think one of the most difficult design decisions is how to handle scores in a fair/sensible way in a game with continues.

One thought we did have was to have two separate leader boards - one with continues and one without.

We also thought about your suggesting about making the Gold Star score not be overwritten by a higher score but with more continues.

And about allowing each player to have 4 scores - one for Gold, Silver, Bronze and 'Empty'.

It's a tough call, and one we had hoped the 'star' system would solve. I believe it has helped, but there are clearly still flaws with this system.

It'll be back on our agenda for the next update - which we will be starting work on tomorrow as the 1.2 update was submitted today.

Shred It! Support.

19. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    #99 bilboa, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
    Thanks. You've obviously thought about it a bit. The current system has the benefit of being simple to understand, which is important. It just makes me reluctant to ever use continues because I don't want to lose my gold score, but maybe I'm an outlier. I just got it back by the way, so I'm back to having the top gold score. Here's a video of the end of the run.

https://everyplay.com/videos/11002763

20. istako

istako Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Oh, cool. I will keep an eye out when the upload is up and I will try the game again. I kind of got hooked on playing, its really zen at times.