Show me a game with high polish/game design that failed!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by joey_green, Jul 16, 2012.

1. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    The rats in game are all nicely gauraud-shaded whereas in the icon they're mostly just flat 2D shapes - so I suggest making them gauraud shaded too. I also suggest having just one rat in the icon so you know what to focus in on. I do like that cheese one though!

I personally much prefer apps when the icons closely resemble the gameplay graphics. I think few people would expect it to be a 3D game from that icon. They might think it's some 2D rat othello/match3 type game maybe. Having an icon closely represent the gameplay also helps when looking through the home screen when deciding on an app to launch (as you have that tiny 'preview' into the game world).

I am still pondering making my game's icon look better to get more people to click on it, i.e. make it a nice 3D drawn tank. I like the simplicity of it as it is now, is more 'iconic' and it represents the gameplay. Might have to create a new 3D one and do a poll in my game's thread. If I was an artist I would have done already (programmer-art definitely suffers when drawing 3D!)

2. ImStrapped

ImStrapped Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Very well said!