Out Now Shovel Knight Dig (by Yacht Club Games)

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Aug 30, 2022.

1. kozz84

kozz84 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Sprites are gorgeous! Insanely detailed with fluid animations. You can tell they are masterclass in term of old school aesthetics.

Gameplay is also amazing. Responsive 2D platformer. This one feels even more megaman with it's vertical design.

My main problem is that it's a rogue like. Very few rogue likes caught my attention, but unfortunately this is not the one. I would vastly prefer a typical level designed game.

I beat it in 2 hours and I don't want to play it again. Good thing I have it through apple arcade. If I had bought it on the switch I would be extremally disappointed.

Dig is a solid rental. But Shovel Knight with it's 4 campaigns is superior.

2. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Don’t get the hate for the touch controls on this. Been having a blast with the game…without a controller.

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  3. Wall Jump Games

Wall Jump Games Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2020
    Male
    Holy crap you are insanely good at this game. I’m roughly 4 hours deep at yet to see World 3.

Also I hate how people calling it 16-bit and old-school. I get it’s a comparison to Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove being 8-bit inspired but it feels reductive to the quality of visuals in a lot of ways. The Messenger is a great example of 8 to 16 bit, because it is SUPPOSED to be.

Dig is not emulating 16-bit, not even in a rose tinted way like the original Shovel Knight. The crisp, detailed pixel art never could’ve existed before PSX, and never would’ve existed until around 10 years ago. This looks leagues above old school.

sorry about the rant, just wanted to get it out of my system. Didn’t mean to target you, it’s just the one bit on the discourse around this game I don’t like.

4. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

#24 andsoitgoes, Sep 27, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    So question for everyone, is iCloud syncing working at all?

I just tried reinstalling, nothing. Fresh install on my Apple TV, still nothing. Each device is forcing a new profile.

Really frustrating.

Edit: oh goody it reset my entire bloody game, how is it so hard to get something so commonplace working? Really annoyed now

5. kozz84

kozz84 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    I turned on couple of accessabiltiy options. If you turn everything on, you can beat the game on your first try.

6. se99jmk

se99jmk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Had a few full resets!! Absolutely infuriating - there’s a very public review about the data being reset too (though still with 4*)

company definitely needs to get an urgent patch out…

andsoitgoes likes this.
  7. andsoitgoes

Thank you! At the very least we can suffer in sympathy together! It's really weird, as Apple Arcade stuff seems to REQUIRE iCloud syncing, and clearly it "kind of" works, just only to flippin delete, not actually sync

hopefully it gets fixed soon but I'm not going to play it again until that happens. Also their support has been silent, I've tweeted at them and emailed their support, silence.

8. kozz84

kozz84 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Update is live. Personally I didn't have any problems, but hopefully it will fix the save file issue.

9. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Same here. Didn't experience any issues whatsoever myself, but let's hope this update fixes things for the rest of you. Great game. Definitely one of my favorites under Apple Arcade from last few months.

10. andsoitgoes

Nope, sure didn't.

Now I have no save file AND iCloud syncing isn't working.

Support hasn't replied, they've ignored me on twitter. I'm legitimately annoyed.

11. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Look at that attention to detail! :eek::D

391335B3-532F-482C-8693-606B5708FEC0.jpeg 39BF2054-351C-431A-AA11-D0BB8E5D4DAD.jpeg

anthony78 and macplash like this.
  12. kozz84

kozz84 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    That is crazy. You would think save files would be on top of the QA's priority list.

13. AsgerJ

AsgerJ Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Is this a leftover from the Switch version? I don’t think Amiibos work on iOS devices? 8F45689D-780F-434A-810F-04C2BC83254B.png

Anotherkellydown likes this.