Should I update to iOS 6?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by JBRUU, Sep 19, 2012.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    With my current 3GS, I really had no really desire to upgrade to iOS6 since a lot of the new features are unavailable to 3GS users anyway and Maps sounds like a total fail. BUT if Apple finally made good on their one time promise to enable incremental App updates, then I would download it in a heartbeat.

That said, I would think Apple would be pushing that feature if it truly existed. Especially for gamers, it would be a HUGE new feature. Whenever I see an update for something like Asphalt 7, I cringe because I know I have nowhere near the room required to update it in-place. Deleting apps, etc., just to update another app is ridiculous considering how commonplace incremental updates have been in the MAC/PC world and even consoles for years.

2. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I don't know if updates are incremental, but two things that are there for sure and great is that you don't have to enter your password to do updates, and the updates and progress happens within the app store - doesn't kick you out to the springboard.

3. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    I can't speak for how much room you need on the device when you update, I can only speak for how data you download when you update. My point about the delta app updates is that you only DOWNLOAD the code that is updated, not the entire app like you had to do before. In the case of Mars Globe HD, the vast majority of the 450 MB the app takes up are the maps the app uses. Compatibility fixes are just a small amount of code, hence why it downloaded very quickly. It may still need lots of room in the background in order to incorporate the update.

4. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    If I remember right it was about a month and a half haha.

I've been through two major OS updates now and I'd definitely recommend always waiting at least a version or two for them. The very first version you get is inevitably going to have a lot of bugs and other issues compared to the previous version, which has been patched multiple times and is very stable.

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    iOS 5 was never known for its stability.

6. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    that's true, but the last supported version of it should generally be more stable than the first iteration of iOS 6 haha

7. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Two of my most used apps on my iPhone: YouTube and Google Maps. iOS 6 is the reason for the first time I'm remotely seriously even considering getting something other than an iPhone for my next phone.

8. Yeah, kind of sucks not having youtube on my ipad. And tubebox, a youtube viewer and downloader doesn't work anymore. So doubly sucks. Hope youtube comes out with an ipad version soon. The web version sucks.

I haven't used maps at all since I havent upgraded my iphone, but still trying to decide whether to upgrade it or not. Maybe I'll wait til ios 6.1 comes out for my iphone since there is no rush, and I won't be missing too much.

Now gotta try siri on my ipad, right now, it's only been a pain cause a lot of times I accidentally trigger siri on, so I wonder if you can disable it.

But internet load times seem faster, or maybe they just changed the load status bar to go faster to trick us.

And while the itunes store is much prettier, it seems slow, and also, I wish it went to full screen for an app, instead of that weird windowed thing.

So some pluses, some negatives. Can't say that ios6 is that great. But maybe things will get better after ios 6.1 comes out.

9. Found a good program to replace the old youtube app on my new ipad. It's called Jasmine, and it's free and universal. It's really nice and looks great. Too bad youtube hasn't developed a youtube app for the new ipad, but Jasmine does the job well. Give it a try.

App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

10. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    i don't know if this was, or was not, mentioned earlier, but at least for me, a great improvement gained by upgrading to iOS 6 is the GameCenter connectivity. Under the previous iOS version, it took almost a minute for most games to connect to it, which was quite annoying because some games required the connection in order to begin playing. Now GC connects almost immediately - .. great improvement and yes - for me - not unnoticeable.

the new maps app sucks, though.

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I upgraded on just my phone (which is only 16 gig), not my ipod (64 gig) in case lots of those games didnt work.

So far on my phone its been perfect, i'm slowly copying over favourites to my phone to check they work on ios6 before maybe updating my ipod.

Mame worked fine (i'm not jailbroken) and iExplorer was fine for any apps which i needed it for.

I thought you could have tabs in Safari though ? Perhaps i read that wrong.

But everything seems fine so far

12. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    The only problem I'm seeing on my iPad 2 is that the Purchased tab in the store often won't load. If I let it sit long enough with it's spinning icon, eventually the app crashes. Then when I load it again it works, until the next time I try to use that tab, where this problem happens again.

Is anyone else seeing this issue?

13. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    So I got a 3rd gen, if I update, will I get Siri?

14. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Yup, I'm seeing this on my new iPad and my iPod Touch, and it's a common complaint in the Apple forums too.

I updated to iOS 6 a week ago, and while my new iPad is running fine, my iPod Touch 4th gen spontaneously decided to boot and reboot today, and wouldn't stop. I ended up in an epic wrestling match with the operating system and finally force-restored it to factory settings. Now I'm attempting a restore from backup. After a couple false starts, it's about half-way through. Since this is a 64 G device, it's going to take a looooooong time!

I'm not going to be happy losing all my IAP's and save games due to this. I wish Apple had better quality control on their software!

15. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    3rd gen iPod Touch? No. Siri doesn't even work on 4th gen iPod Touches.

16. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    4th generation iPod touch user here. The new App Store crashes non-f*cking-stop for me, and the Top 25 charts aren't even working. Anyone else?

17. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    If you're restoring from backup you won't lose anything.

I'm considering trying a restore from backup on my iPad 2 to see if that fixes the store problems. I also noticed, since then, that the Facebook accounts in the settings app wouldn't let me add an account, spinning the wheel forever, again, though, fixed by rebooting. So there's other issues here. I'm probably going to try the restore this weekend.

18. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    #58 dclose, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
    Thanks! If it had worked, that would probably be true, but my iPod Touch is now a brick. It has a pretty Apple logo that comes on for 15 seconds before going to black. I can think of it as an expensive, decorative flashlight (emphasis on flash!) :)

Turns out that reboot problem, that they thought might be a software conflict? Uh, no. Updating to the larger iOS 6 exposed a firmware flaw, that once attempts were made by the operating system to write in that area caused catastrophic hardware failure.

Fortunately it's under warranty, so a replacement has been ordered and it should arrive in a couple days. Unfortunately it's like for like, so it's the same generation device, and not the newest iteration (like that was ever a realistic hope). :rolleyes: Oh well, third time's the charm, right? :)

19. 12yam

12yam Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Toronto
    Hahahaha

20. Nizen

Nizen Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Student
    Does anyone else's game center crash on them?
    I'm running a 4th generation iPod Touch~