Should I update to iOS 6?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by JBRUU, Sep 19, 2012.

1. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I'm jailbroken. Honestly, I don't use any jailbreak feature as much as I thought I would, except perhaps iFile. Backgrounder, barrel, display recorder, Springtomize, activator and sbsettings are all I have installed, and by far I use ifile the most, maybe 3 times a week to back up game saves. I rarely use the rest, though barrel is a really neat tweak. Oh and folder enhancer. Really nice tweak that I love.

Should I update (and lose my jailbreak)? I would really like to try out Siri (iPad 3), look forward to the Facebook integration and I hear that iOS 6 is more optimized, especially for gaming. Maybe NOVA 3 retina won't stutter as much and the Walking Dead will run smoothly.

And no I do not pirate apps or games. I have plenty of money of my own to spend on devs and apps that deserve my support and I do.

2. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Should I too? iPod Touch 4G, broken home and lock button... If its something special I will, otherwise, meh. Oh and jailbroken too

3. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    iPad 3 guy - yes
    IPod touch guy - no

4. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Simply because you can link volume buttons to lock and home I would have to say no.

5. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Exactly, and to be honest maybe just removing barrel will stop Nova 3 and Walking Dead stuttering for you. I'd still stand by updating because I'd say Siri would be actually more useful on an iPad, I wish I could get it on my iPad 2.

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Yeah, I think I'm going to update.

7. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    lol...hopefully the iPad optimized version of google's youtube app will come out soon.

8. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    All I'm seeing are downgrades (on 3GS and iPad 2 here) so I'm gonna hold of. Some apps, like iPhoto, already requires iOS 6 tho wich kinda sucks.

9. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    I have the same combination here. lol. Really tempted to try out the new map app on my ipad2. eh... iPhoto still has the same ios 5.1 requirement.

10. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Im also undecided to update or not. Im guessing the ipad2 and 4s should be fine but the one Im unsure about is the ipod 4g, it was much much smoother when it ran on ios 4 so my gut says its bestto not update but a tiny part of my wishes the performance to be better on ios 6.

11. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    Updated on my 4th gen touch. I did run into some issues with the app store and game center didn't want to work at all. I don't know if there was corrupted data for my login, though I got it straightened out once I used the features by signing out through the Settings menu.

Aside from the above issue, I haven't really seen anything bad with the update. I did find a couple games with a few bugs that weren't there on 5.1.1, but those should be fixed in an update I would hope.

It should be better on newer devices and I plan on getting at some point.

12. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    My update is nearly finished right now.

13. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    #13 chris1a, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
    The new update for iphoto requires iOS 6. (edit: so now I'm stuck with an update badge, WTF Apple?)

Anyway, I'll wait until there's an alternative for maps and YouTube from Google (iPad versions). Really don't wanna lose street view and the YouTube app with integrated airplay options etc just to get a clock on my iPad instead..

Edit: btw, does iOS 6 use up any more space then v5?

14. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    Has anyone been able to get passbook to work? Upon launch it shows all the features it has, with the only interactive element being a link to the App Store, but when I click it I get the "Cannot connect to iTunes Store" error, despite being able to connect to the AppStore normally. Is there something I'm missing?

15. rogue35

rogue35 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011

I'm getting the same thing.

16. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I'm using iPod touch 4G 32gig and everything seems fine for me. The few games I've tried still work fine and browsing online and the App Store all works same as ever.
    The new App Store looks like it will take some getting used to. All in all looking good.

17. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    i'm downloading now. one huge hurdle, clearing up the minimum amount of space on device, is cleared...

18. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    #18 JCman7, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
    My GameCenter won't work at all either...im going to try and reboot to see if that will help

edit: hmm didn't help, after a while in the app it just crashes

Edit2: well it works now odd it took so long

19. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    How's the battery compared to iOS 5? Considering updating but honestly as an iTouch 4 owner I don't much see the point...

20. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    I have an iPod touch 4g I'm liking the changes so far, battery life seems the same to me, maybe a little better. I've been on for like an hour and I'd say 1/4 is drained.