Should I make an 'endless mode' for the game I'm making? Or should it be a separate game?

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by obamski, Aug 11, 2019.

?

StarWay endless as a separate game or a base game mode?

1. Separate game

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Base game mode

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. obamski

obamski New Member

Jun 8, 2019
    Male
    Hi all! I'm about to wrap up my ios game, which is a semi-hypercasual game about an astronaut in space (gameplay in the link below). The game is pretty much level - based (you complete a level to play the next one, each level has a unique obstacle to overcome etc), but I'm in the middle of making an endless mode for the game as well. The question is: is it better to release a level - based game with an endless mode, which you could unlock by collected in-game currency (It won't have any microtransactions, you can only collect this stuff in game) - or is it better to release the endless mode as a standalone title? I will add that the only type of monetization I'm implementing are reward - based ads (you get to continue the level after death, by watching an ad). Thanks for any advices!
    Gameplay here:

upload_2019-8-11_1-29-1.png

2. Grumbledore

Grumbledore New Member

Dec 3, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    Hi Obamski!

It's an interesting question! I think the way to think about it is - getting anyone to play your game is super hard, so getting people to play two games is going to be even harder.

So with the intention to keep people playing your game (this is where your ad revenue comes from), the endless mode sounds like a better fit in the original game (as something you can strive to unlock).

obamski likes this.
  3. obamski

obamski New Member

Jun 8, 2019
    Male
    That's actually a very solid point. I think you're right :) Thanks for this perspective :)

4. Jolly Good Games

Jul 30, 2019
    Female
    London
    If long term retention is needed for increased ltv, more content = more chance of conversion and ad serving.