Should I get Star Defense or Assassins Creed?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Genius, Jul 17, 2009.

?

Should I get Star Defense or Assassins Creed?

Poll closed Aug 6, 2009.
  1. Star Defense

32 vote(s)
    59.3%
  2. Assassins Creed

22 vote(s)
    40.7%
  1. NBM05

NBM05 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    I just checked the app store and both games have a 4 star average. AC is 4 stars with 1201 reviews and SD is 4 stars with 271 reviews -- so the ratings are equal and nothing matches your post.

Personally, I thought AC was alright, but I loved Star Defense.

2. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    #22 MrDark, Jul 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
    hey smart guy... different countries...

THE FACT IS even in US, AD is much higher popularity as well, 4.5 time more... c'mon use your brain.

or you can ask more SD dev to sign up here to pump up the rate on the vote, but it is not true on the world wide... think BIG

3. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Assassin's Creed all the way. Star Defense seems too overrated IMO..

4. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    wait so popularity means its a better game? They both have the same average rating, thats all that matters

5. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    if you check out the our discussion thread about App Awards

http://appadvice.com/appawards/vote

check out the category

BEST Action Game: AD IN for sure
    BEST Game Tower Defense: SD (where is it???) OUT :D

6. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    #26 MrDark, Jul 18, 2009
    OK let's do this

Object A & Object B, if
    100 ppl used Object A and comment it's good
    and only 1 person used Object B and comment it's Better

who you gonna trust and which one you gonna buy?

"popularity" !

7. NBM05

NBM05 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    #27 NBM05, Jul 18, 2009
    And what you're ignoring is that the person you are responding to pointed out both games have the same rating in the US -- 4 stars each -- so OK, let's do this:

Object A and Object B
    if 100 ppl say Object A is a 4 star game
    and 1 person says Object B is a 4 star game

which is better?

Also, saying AC is picked as the best action game while SD was not picked as the best TD game by the small group of people who come to this website means what, exactly? Which is the best game overall?

Personally, I think Doom Resurection is the best action game on the Iphone, then Hero of Sparta, then Terminator, then AC, but I'd rate SD as a better overall game than Hero of Sparts, Terminator or AC.

So, ya, my mistake not realizing your numbers were from outside the US, but since you pointed out that the poll on this site is a smaller sample than the numbers you listed, I'll point out that the numbers you listed are a smaller sample than the numbers from the US.

Pretty much all I see is that they are two very different types of games, both of which were pretty well received. I just happen to like SD better, as do a majority of the people who have visited this topic.

All the "use your brain" comments do come off pretty condescending, though.

8. NBM05

NBM05 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    #28 NBM05, Jul 18, 2009
    Wow. I followed the link, and I just have to say, who the heck did the nominations for TD games? What the heck did they use as their criteria?

Neither Besiegement or Tap Defense should be on the list ahead of 7 Cities, Tower Madness, Sentinel 1 and 2, Sweetwater Defense, Kill all Bugs (although it might be too new,) Dungeon Defense, or Star Defense. That's eight TD's I would put on that list before Beseigement or Tap Defense. In fact, Beseigment is one of my least favorite TD's. I truly doubt the judgement of whoever came up with the nominations (in that catagory at least, I didn't really look at the other catagories.)

Ok, wow, I just looked at the action game section of the linked website and see that Doom Resurection, Terminator Salvation, and Hero of Sparta are all missing from the action game list, while games that are hardly actoin games (Knights Onrush, Zombieville,) are listed. I like Zombieville, but it should be in the arcade game catagory, and Doom, HOS, and Terminator should all be nominated.

Strange, strange nominations.

9. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    you answer my question: you don't trust "the small group of people", me too, so I don't trust the voting here as well

"popularity"! thank you.

so 1200+ over 250+

easy mathematic, have you even take calculas in school?! dont use your s to think

10. NBM05

NBM05 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    You missed the point of the sentence you quoted -- the small size was a tangent, the point was that the games were in different catagories and were not in direct competition, hence the success of one in one catagory and the failure of the other in a different catagory did not imply a direct corelation between their level of quality.

Additionally, you miss the point about popularity someone else was trying to make as well. You have adopted the 1200+ and the 250+, but you are attempting to apply them to a difference in ratings from a smaller sample you cited earlier. In the 1200+ and the 250+ sample, the games have the same ratings. In other words, a sample of 1200+ people found AC to be a four star game, while a sample of 250+ people found Star Defense to be a four star game. Both samples are large enough to be indicative of how a larger population would rate each game.

The popularity question then becomes: if you have two games of the same perceived quality, can you then quantify one as superior based solely on number of sales? If so, is that calculus changed when one of the games in question (in this case, AC,) is part of a larger series having been released on at least two previous consoles with a high profile sequel coming out next fall, while the other is a new property with no previous releases on any console?

To put it another way: Since you are basing your assesment on total number of reviews, do you think the fact AC had been a hugely hyped game on the 360 and had also been released on the DS helped it sell more copies on the iphone? Does that truly make it a better game when both games have a four star user review rating with large enough samples to be taken seriously in each case?

Easy math it may be, just be sure you understand all variables and how to apply them.

11. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    wouldn't this be statistics rather than calculus?

12. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    Ok let's do that

THE FACT IS

in this site, People vote
    24 people vote "Star Defense" 4 stars in average
    18 people "Assassins Creed" 4 stars in average

My counties
    60 people vote "Star Defense" 4 stars
    317 people vote "Assassins Creed" 4.5 stars

US
    271 people vote "Star Defense" 4 stars
    1201 people vote "Assassins Creed" 4 stars

Summary (statistics, math whatever sh*t you like to call)
    Star Defense: overall 355 rating with 4 stars
    Assassins Creed: overall 1536 rating with 4.1 stars

Assassins Creed still WIN, SO WHAT...

welcome to post other countries rating here.

13. NBM05

NBM05 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    In that respect you are right. If you combine the samples, AC does have a slight statistical edge. Overall both games appear well received, and the varience between their reception is minor enough to be almost inconsequential, but AC does come out slightly better. I don't dislike either game myself, but my personal preference is still Star Defense.

14. EB1089

EB1089 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Student
    Hmm...I see your dilemma lol. I'd say just flip a coin. Both are good in different ways. Personally, I liked Assassin's Creed when I played it on DS so it should be a similar experience just with touchscreen controls. Star Defense also looks awesome. I dunno... (I don't even have an iPod Touch yet either so...lol)

15. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Ok lets compare it to something else, Real Racing vs NFSU. RR has 4.5 average with 38 ratings, NFSU has 4.5 average with 2777 ratings. Who you going to trust to buy? IMO, RR is better, but because NFSU is popular, its getting more attention. Because Assassins Creed is a very popular series, its definitely going to get more attention, just like NFSU, whether its good or not. Remember the Sims 3? In 1 day it reached the #1 spot in the app store, but was that game really worth it, or were all the ratings just a hype?

Popularity doesnt mean much.

16. TheKrazyRussian

TheKrazyRussian Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    UPS
    CA
    Don't know about AC but i would not reccomend Star Defense for one simple reason, there are much better TD games out there for less money.
    Buy Sentiel 2 and Defender Chronicles, $4 total and you'll enjoy both a LOT more then Star Defense.