Should I buy an iPad at this point?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by synther, Oct 22, 2010.

1. synther

synther Well-Known Member

Hey Touch Arcade members.

For the first time I actually have a question :). I am really charmed by the iPad, and I want one. The only problem is that I am not really sure if it's smart to buy the first gen iPad, or wait for the next one (which is coming in May?).

What should I do? I have no idea of what the next iPad will be (faster CPU? Retina display? Camera/webcam?), so I don't really know if it's clever to buy one now or wait for the next iPad.

2. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    I am content to wait - but am definitely interested in getting an iPad for the house in the next year or so.

3. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    It might kill you but wait till April, you'll regret it if you don't.

4. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I'm in the same position... I made a deal with the family to get one this weekend but I'm just wondering if it's the wisest idea. If, like you says, it's May for next one I'd say wait.

But it depends on what you want it for. If you're having it as household item, do you really need a webcam on it? The screen is still pretty good, do you need retiner? Etc etc.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm not even sure it'll support retina. That would make the resolution something like 2048x1536. That's gonna mean huge textures in games, pumping up file sizes something crazy.

Plus "support for retina" wouldn't be all-encompassing, you'd have iPhone/iPod retina, then a different "iPad retina", making things more confusing for users, and requiring a whole lot more work for developers. Then there's the issue about whether or not the iPad could even power games with a resolution that high.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Something to consider is that Apple stuff holds it's value -incredibly- well. If you bought an iPad now, and sold it when the new one comes out to upgrade, you won't take much of a loss at all... Especially if demand stays high and supply stays low.

7. Doofratii

Doofratii Member

Oct 22, 2010
    I pre-ordered an iPad before they came out and am extremely happy with it. With that being said, if a 10" retina display iPad came out next year, I'd probably get it, otherwise, I'd be perfectly happy with the one I've got.

8. Rasterico

Rasterico Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Just get one, no point in waiting 7 months for something you don't even know the specs of yet, I've had mine a few months now (bought it the same week as my iPhone 4) and use it every day without fail, it really is an amazing piece of kit, my desktop pc very rarely gets a look in nowadays.

9. synther

synther Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm really not sure about it yet. I don't really like Apple als a company, I think their products are extremely hyped and I will probably never buy a Mac, but I liked my iPod and the iPad looks good (extremely good) too. There's nothing else like it.

I think I'll wait for the new one. I don't really need one now and I guess it's better to wait.

10. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I love my iPad but I bought the 16 GB. When the new ipads come out, I am just going to buy a bigger one and my wife will take my current iPad.

11. I unexpectedly got one almost two weeks ago (32GB 3G) and I'm glad I did. I do love the iPad-specific stuff, it's great for browsing, and unlike the iPhone 4, it supports the 802.11n 5GHz band, so I can surf without so much bloody crosstalk. (I live in an apartment building with about half a billion wireless connections, and fortunately very few if any are on the 5GHz band.)