iPad Should Bullet Skater be free? Cast your vote here.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BulletDev, Jan 22, 2009.

?

Should Bullet Skater be free?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    57.5%
  1. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    I've been reading a number of interesting threads lately that have made me second guess, and then third guess the regular pricing habits of the App Store, and how I will be pricing Bullet Development's upcoming game Bullet Skater. At first, I was going to simply go with a .99 cent price point, no Lite version needed because of the low price. Then a few weeks after, I realized that pricing the game at the bottom would make the game look cheap, and likewise for the company. $1.99 seemed like a better alternative, with a free ad-supported trial with crippled features. The problem with this is how many people will even get the free version? This matters for a number of reasons, one being that the more downloads of the free version, the more profit made from the ads.

With that, I *think* and *hope* I have come to another good possibility for pricing. Offer a full featured, ad-supported version of Bullet Skater for free, along with a premium ad-free version for a dollar. This way, Bullet Skater has a big chance of skyrocketing to the top of the free charts, earning the company enough money with the advertisements. Just like Whack-Em-All.

What do you think? Should I instead only offer a Free Trial and the pay version, or do you have a new idea?

2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008

You forgot to add in the poll :p I'm kinda worried that most people would rather have an ad supported version than pay for the full version. You won't make very much.

Are you looking to get a good rep and climb the charts or make a profit?

If 1) then go with your plan 2) limit the lite version, and be light with the ads.

3. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    #3 BrushMyNoseOff, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
    I say $0.99 for a few days, then go up to your desired 1.99, 2.99 price point.

Mostly recently SlotZ Racer have done that and it seems they were very successful as their app reached the 5th spot in the US App Store, I believe. While I'm not sure how much exposure Bullet Skater will be getting from reviewers, media, etc. I do know that many people on the forums are anticipating it. If the app is well made, usually users from the forums are fair and provide good reviews that may set the tone for how the app is doing in the store.

EDIT: I meant $0.99 not FREE.

4. jawslover

jawslover Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    JERICHO, KS
    i agree, it seems to work;)

5. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Lite versions are tricky to get right. First you need a good app that people will be interested in. Then you need to offer enough features to showcase the app and hook people in. The trick is to offer enough to get people interested, but not too much or there is no real incentive for them to pay for the app. People have to want to pay to use the app after trying the lite version. If you give them everything for free then there is no incentive to pay up. I do and I have purchased ad free versions where I have tried and enjoyed a fully featured ad supported lite app. But I sadly suspect that I am in the minority of AppStore users. For this reason I think it unlikely that offering a fully featured ad supported lite version will be enough of an incentive for people to pay for the ad free version. Offering it free for a limited time and then raising the price might work. Perhaps there are some devs out there who can offer you some advice based on their own experiences.

6. TheOZ

TheOZ Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I say release full featured game for 1.99 then after awhile release the lite ad-supported game with limited features and a time-limit or score limit. If the game is fun(and im sure it is) then people will be incredibly unsatisfied with the very limited free version and get the full version. I usually don't get the full version of a game if there is not as strong a limit unless I am aiming to support the developer. For example, a game that made me wanna get the full version of the game was fuzzle because of the 300 point limit which stopped me from playing once I started getting into the the game.

I think either start at 1.99 then release a free version with strict limits or do what you suggested.

7. BulletDev

Sep 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I like your ideas much better, so I guess I will be re-thinking it again before it is released.

The game is expected for release late next month for !@#$% dollars.

8. Spitfire3775

Spitfire3775 Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Earth
    I believe that it should be free for only a few days and then raise its price.

9. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    If the game isn't unusually fun, no one will buy a full version after the lite version. There has to be a reason for people to be willing to pay for it after their curiosity has been satisfied.

10. spamboy

spamboy Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Free please!

11. Fubit86

Fubit86 Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    STUDENT
    Seattle, WA
    Don't listen to the "free" for a couple days BS. Your sales data gets reset when you turn paid so it will not boost your spot on the charts that much. I recommend 99 CENTS for a few days, and ONLY A FEW DAYS (not an unlimited time special promotion deal, lol) and then raise to 1.99, 2.99

Slotz racer is PROOF that this works!

12. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    id pay for 1.99 if it has longetivity

13. Fazzy

Fazzy Well-Known Member

I would charge a whopping $99.99 for about a week, and if you make any profit, then go buy yourself a milkshake. After a week, lower the price down to 99 cents for a "limited" time sale. Make that sale last for about 2-3 weeks, then raise the price to 1.99 or 2.99. Keep it there.

14. Fubit86

Fubit86 Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    STUDENT
    Seattle, WA
    totally

15. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    For me as a consumer, the most interesting is:
    Ad supported for free, ad-free for $0,99 or $1,99.
    I'd get the free version and wouldn't mind the ads probably. So if you'd still make money out of it, that would be good.

In order to get me to buy a game without trying it (ad-supported free version or trial), I either need to be really intrigued by the concept (Space Ninja, NANO) or the game must have an awesome response in the topic here.

Oh, in any case don't blindly trust that what happened to Slotz Racer will happen to every developer. A week ago it was "Get out a free Lite version, look what it did to iShoot! It proves that Lite versions work!"

Hard decision, it's a good thing you're asking for opinions a few weeks before releasing the game so you can get different views. Good luck. :)

16. adin

adin Well-Known Member

I'm all for the increasing pricing model. It rewards early adopters and gives an incentive to buy quickly. It doesn't seem that people feel cheated (like with the "cliff" model of short term pricing).

Definitely be specific about dates and prices in the description. And then follow through with the dates.

The only "free" I'd recommend would be a limited # of promo codes to help whip up awareness.

17. BulletDev

Sep 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Quite ironic how "spamboy" is the one wanting it for free.....

18. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Try

Experiment with the price and see what the market wants!!!

19. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    I've had success with the intro @ .99 up to 1.99 method, then again I've been lucky enough to have each of my games featured by Apple in one way or another so its hard to know what works. I'm waiting to release a lite version of my newer games until sales die down (last resort jump start). I hope whatever you choose ends up working for you!

20. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    Not to hijack the thread, but I noticed Textropolis was featured in the App Store, in the Staff Favorites category. Gratz!