Should an iPhone game include "Story mode" or "Adventure mode"?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by teamskyfort, Nov 11, 2010.

1. teamskyfort

teamskyfort Active Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Should an iPhone game include "Story mode" or "Adventure mode"?
    Our team is currently debating over this problem when upgrading our game "Upsize Frenzy" to include much more features. However, the problem comes when we decide whether to upgrade our story mode or just kill it.

- One side's arguments are: story mode is fun, we should include that to give the players some motivation/ interest. Just some endless mode or quickplay mode aren't enough to get people intested.

- The other side's arguments are: big selling games don't need a story (fruit ninja, cut the rope, flight control, etc...). People don't really need a story to play on iPhone, they just want a quick play for fun. Just some quick play or endless mode to compete for high score with friends will do. Story mode only works in big game (Plants VS zombies, Call of Duty etc..). For smaller game: keep it simple.

This is an important decision for us since "Story mode" means much more coding and graphic.

What do you guys think about this problem? Is this a generic problem or it's too specific to each individual game?

2. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

People definitely care about a good story in any game imo. The key is, it has to genuinely be a good story. If its half way implemented or you don't have good writers, it will probably just be a waste of time.

When we released N.Y.Zombies we had a pretty good story (nice little journal entries before each level, in total about 25 of them creating a pretty lengthy story)... and this was a zombie shooter... who the heck cares about story in a zombie shooter? It was just something we thought was a nice little bonus, but honestly didn't think most players would care about it...

HOWEVER, we were blown away by all the positive feedback about the story! 50% of our reviews seem to mention how great the story line is, how it kept them playing, and how disappointed they were with the twist we put in the end (haha, which sucks, but it shows people actually cared about the story and how it ended up).

Like I said, imo go all or nothing. I think being on the iPhone platform you don't NEED a story by any means -- and it might not even help you sell extra units -- but if you do have a good one it can be a pleasant surprise for many gamers.

3. GSnyder

GSnyder Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2010
    I like games with stories and games without; what gets my goat as a player is games that make me choose what mode to play in. Quick? Story? Adventure? Time challenge? Blitz? Attack? Endless? You're the freaking developer, YOU tell ME how your game is best experienced. Give me your best shot.

I'm not against modes per se, but I think that in most cases they are best reserved for players who have finished the mainline game, or at least those who are familiar enough with the game that they might appreciate some variety. I would venture to say that it's rarely appropriate to confront new players with this kind of choice.

4. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Being a writer/publisher I like stories, even if its as light as Angry Birds little cut scenes.

5. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    #5 99c_gamer, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
    I say no story "modes"
    The story should be integral part of the game.

6. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

If you can put the time and effort into it, a story always helps

7. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

i would say it really depends on the game. tetris for example didnt need a story but it was a game at a different time..

one repeating factor you see in the top charts its cute idols/mascots.. the bird of angry birds (and the pigs)... the green super cute animated omn nom, i think how he is called.. and the doodle jumper from doodle jump..

they all very special look to them.. similar to your flying pig.. but yours (without playing the game) looks a bit .. hard to describe.. sterile(sp?) .. a bit lifeless..

best example is really the green guy from cut the rope.. he such a charming thing.. with his demanding animation to get the candy and his sad face when you loose the candy.. or how he opens his mouth when its near to him.. thats pretty much perfect on character creation combines with well "soul" ..

so if you have such an chr. you can build a light story (like angry bird, or cut the rope) around it and it would be enough to give a game more percepted value.. even is there is not really much storie...

at the end i personaly am a "campaign" player.. i rather play a good story than generic levels.. but that really depends on the game in the first place.

8. teamskyfort

Oct 13, 2010
    Thank you all for very constructive comments.

In our case, I want to create a simple story that the Animals are living happily when the Wild Animal come and disturb them. Together, the Farm Animal form bigger and bigger group and when ready, they attack the Wild animal to push them away. Levels after levels, new animals join the force with different special abilities (implementing - no special ability in version 1).

However, my teammate think that we should focus on making the game fun and quick to play. Also, high score board (maybe game center) is more important to implement.

I guess we should think and decide carefully.

9. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

i would suggest to make first what youre teammate suggested.. more fun gameplay is more important than a story.. and things like achievements leaderboards etc. (open feint, gamecenter) is always a plus for the core players.

if you got that implemented you can always add a story afterwards..

btw think your video is a tad bit long.. and a bit repetive but! i laughed once.. it was about the wolfes.. since the pigs where flying i asked myself.. how the **** is the wolf supposed to catch thoose.. and when a wolf came flying too this was actualy pretty funny :), but the video is still way to long..

10. teamskyfort

Oct 13, 2010
    thanks for the constructive comment, I'll try to make it around 1 minute long.