Universal Shooty Skies - Endless Arcade Flyer

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Sep 30, 2015.

1. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    I've ran into the boss using Shooty Cat maybe 6 times now with no Zombie Kitty unlock. I ran into the right and left side, the mouth and the back/top, even. No good. Grr...

2. Polapod

Polapod New Member

Oct 28, 2015
    Well this is frustrating, I just can't unlock Zombie Kitty and I've flown into that halloween boss with Shooty Cat 7 times now. Then with the Drama Llama I don't think I have a chance, my high score is 2428 which I can't get anywhere near now :mad:

3. Nekcik

Nekcik Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Aiken, South Carolina
    Anyone know what the non attack power-ups do like Party bear and timey cat, they just float near me and do nothing?

4. Polapod

Polapod New Member

Oct 28, 2015
    The Party Bear doubles the points you get for killing each enemy for the time you have it and the Time Cat slows down the incoming projectiles

5. deadjam

deadjam Well-Known Member

May 9, 2010
    Male
    Digital Designer
    London, UK
    So I get the impression that for a lot of players the primary goal is collecting all the characters and the actual shoot 'em mechanic is secondary.

I'm guessing this means, that when they release an update with extra characters the players above will come back to play it?

6. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Well, that isn't the prime goal. I don't care too much about it... BUT! If there's a limited-time character and unlocking it is easy but bugged... then I care :)

7. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    #187 LordShad0wz, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    Well for me it's both. I have every single character except the drama llama and it simply will not unlock for me no matter what. But I can live with it. Now I play to keep getting a better score and because, quite honestly, I just really love the game. For me it's just fun. I play it everyday. I think they've done a fantastic job. I watch ads to hopefully further development :)

I'm sitting on 35,000 coins. I wish they would release more characters or actually release permanent weapons with upgrades to purchase. I share to Twitter all the time knudging the Devs about both of my requests hehe

Billy

8. deadjam

deadjam Well-Known Member

May 9, 2010
    Male
    Digital Designer
    London, UK
    Cheers for the info LordShad0wz and andysmash, as an amateur game dev it's useful to me to find out about player behaviour and how people are open to this F2P model that the CR dev team have hit upon so successfully.

CR wasn't enjoyable for me but Shooty Skies, although it lacks depth, is a polished little shooter which satisfies a 2 min hit of a fun from a casual shooter.

9. Polapod

Polapod New Member

Oct 28, 2015
    Hopefully the unlockable characters will be fixed soon, they've said it's a "known issue" that they're working on fixing.

10. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    That's my approach to the game. I like shmups and I love the style of this one, but I just find it hard to fall in love with actually playing it. The main thing that turns me off is how some of the projectiles and enemies behave.

When there are bullets and explosions all over the screen and I'm dodging like crazy, having a little robot that slips by me and then does a sharp u-turn at the bottom of the screen and ram himself up my tailpipe just isn't fun (especially when my finger or thumb is covering the spot they swoop back up from). Some projectiles are heat-seeking, which isn't too bad since they are slow, but every once in a while they can get hidden in a mess of explosions and sneak up on me. The bosses are my biggest turn-off, though, because they spew so many projectiles in various formations when they are close to death that it's all too easy to get suck in a spot with no way to avoid getting hit.

With that all being said, I don't think the game is bad at all. I know that if I just played it more and learned the enemies and behaviors better that I could anticipate a lot of that stuff and I would get better. But I have a ton of games on my phone and not enough time to play them all. So games like this one and Crossy Road and others end up falling into the "launch when it's time to get the free gift, watch an ad for coins, and pull a character if I can before closing the app." Every once in a while I'll actually play a couple of rounds or so, but I'm mainly just in it to collect all of the characters.

11. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    In the past I've played with a large focus on characters, but for some reason I haven't been as interested with Shooty Skies. I think it might be because many of the characters in the line up aren't that interesting to me. For some reason I found that I gravitate towards wildly different animal characters over almost anything else. Crossy road has those in spades, but Shooty Skies not so much. Also because of the power up with the gun shots, I've been on the hunt for a good quad shot game to boost my high score, but I haven't achieved it yet. All that aside, I would agree with what you said about the boss fights. Also, I feel like the quad shot you gain through gameplay is stronger than the one you can buy with coins. Am I crazy? So, the hunt continues for the in game quad shot power up...but at this point I might be only playing a few times a week.

12. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada

Came here just now to post something very similar to the above.

To me, this game is a bullet hell shmup designed by people who don't really get bullet hell shmups. The enemy behavior, the way things arch towards you as they pass your ship, and the size of your ship's hit box all conspire to make the game feel extremely "cheap" - and not in a dollars and cents way. The best you can do in the game is to get as many power-ups as possible and try and keep blowing stuff up as fast as possible. I know that sort of describes shmups, but it actually doesn't. A big part of the appeal is supposed to be navigating through the patterns but you can't really do that for long here because the game is too heavily designed to kill you...

13. WriterParty

WriterParty Member

Oct 8, 2015
    For me with this game the main goal is getting all of the secret characters - the ones you have to unlock with actions. On one hand that's because I own a mobile game website and secret character unlocks give me a LOT of content - and usually very popular content - to write about. Plus it's just plain fun to try and find hidden goodies. But outside of the website, the top goal is usually to beat high scores, especially with games that get progressively harder as your score gets higher, such as Shooty Skies and Smashy Road: Wanted.

14. WriterParty

WriterParty Member

Oct 8, 2015
    From what I've noticed your hit box is smaller than your plane itself. If something hits your character you die but if something hits the wings of your plane, it won't kill you.

15. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    Yep it's smaller, but it's not small enough. It's not uncommon in bullet hells for the hit box to be a couple pixels in size. Ideally, it should be possible for you to find a way through most bullet patterns if you are good enough. In this game, I've had occasions where it was apparent there just wasn't a way through because the hitbox is bigger than any available space...and like I say the combination of a somewhat too big hit box and enemies/obstacle that arch towards you as they pass (or attack you from a spot behind your ship that is obscured by your finger) makes for a game that feels like it is unfairly set up against you...

16. Blankito

Blankito Active Member

May 29, 2015
  17. Cheese-fiend

Cheese-fiend New Member

Oct 5, 2015
    UK
    New update is definitely easier than the Halloween update as I've got two new high scores in the same session with blobby and hooty, but still no unlock on llama drama. Does anyone know if it matters which order of characters you get the high scores with i.e would it only unlock if blobby beats hooty's score and not the other way round?

Attached Files:

18. Blankito

Blankito Active Member

May 29, 2015
    Hey mate, well I think so too! I already unlocked both new secret Characters and put videos on youtube! I'm with you this update is a lot easier! Concerning the Unlock of Drama Llama it should work. I remember to first have made a Highscore with Hooty and afterwards with Blobby. Simply because the bands name is Hootie and The Blowfish! So i followed that order! Hope I could help!

Best

19. BitStern

BitStern Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2014