Universal Shooting Stars! (by Noodlecake Studios Inc)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Rythan

Rythan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2014
    Second this. The references never meant to be clever they were meant to be stupid.

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Carter doesn't need any defending, but I assure you he thought about this score long and hard. He was also part of the beta.

3. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #83 Intendro, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
    Encountered that glitched text with the word "combo" again. I was going to screenshot it again, but I got hit, breaking my combo. And when I got another combo going, it said "combo" like it was supposed to.

...Anyway, technically I commented on the review already, but I guess I will comment here too, since there's others commenting about it here...
    I said in the review comments:
    Insert witty line about stars being shot off the review score. :p

4. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Carter is one ruthless motha. I don't know any critic like him the has the stones to do what he does. Dev, keep in mind some of the best games of the year he gives 3.5 stars so don't take it to heart. You made a really great game!

5. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Still I kind of agree with most people here, his review is very harsh! I mean ok this game isn't perfect and there could be more contents, but that score is so low for a game that brought us so much new things

6. BigBeardedBloodironyBoss

May 19, 2015
    Gamedesign and Business @ Bloodirony Games
    Vienna
    Review Feedback from Bloodirony

Hi guys,

We really appreciate all feedback, also not 5 stars reviews. I personally think Carter makes some good points and is not that bad. When we made this game we had a lot of decisions to make. One of them was making a once per day daily run or to make it repeatable. We decided for the not so hardcore one. The really good thing is that the players and reviewers care about the game and our mechanics, and we are reading every comment, post, review and social media interaction. Version 1.0 is only the beginning. But be sure that we do not overreact very quickly and change features that the player base already enjoys without thinking about it.

Harsh critique on a game from players and reviewers is a good source of inspiration for us and you can be that there is a lot of brain work going on in the rainbow unicorn research labs. We are currently designing and working an update that will make the game more enjoyable.

All feedback is welcome, so feel free to comment also on the other point Carter made, that is about the imbalance of the items. As a game designer I would love to hear how you feel about them.

Right now the cards are only collectibles and do not change the game in any way, but we are working on mechanics that will make the card hunt more rewarding.

Keep on playing and commenting and expect a better game every content update. You guys have been a source of inspiration since the Beta 3 months ago.

the devs are listening guys
    cheers
    Michael

7. Adsinjapan

Adsinjapan Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Hey Michael!

So regarding the balance of the special attacks, I'd say keep them as they are for the most part. They should scale with the difficulty of the enemies at later levels. I don't spam them so much, but rather use them as a last resort when confronted by overwhelming numbers.

I'd bump them all up to the same base damage values with increments of damage as the stages progress.

As for other things...

More sick tunes please! :)

Maybe at a later date, Tcherno ranks could be added, unlocking miscellaneous, vanity items?

Anyways,

Cheers for all the hard work!

8. Adsinjapan

Aug 7, 2013
    Oh yeah, one more thing. Would it be possible to turn down the volume on the pink rabbit-ears special attack? The sound effect it's a little jarring.

9. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Anyone know what the hit box area is exactly? I thought it might be the red collar of the character, but it seems like I've taken damage when getting hit outside of that area. Could just be my imagination. Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

10. number111

number111 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2015
    What a great game i usually not pay for games but this one is really well super crazy wacky fun
    didt axpect for that

11. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    The special weapons are WAY too unbalanced. Many of them simply feel extremely underpowered.

12. Sponggy

Sponggy Active Member

Jul 11, 2015
    Which kind of weapons make you feel that ?
    but still this game is really cool and crazy

13. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    Does this have iCloud support

14. 8BitFlash

8BitFlash Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    This game is so cool, it's so fun. Can u guys add more levels and characters....and maybe you should be able to switch between different types of shots or ships, and upgrades.

15. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Shooting Stars takes a lot of its cues from modern rogue-lites like Binding of Isaac, Nuclear Throne, etc. Items/Powerups largely aren't intended to be completely balanced, especially given the silly presentation and theme of the game. Rogue-lites are about working with what RNJesus gives you. I really hope going forward the devs truly e,brace the rogue-lite spirit and we see more of the features that make games like Rebirth amazing.

16. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I just wish we could choose the starting weapon type. Like spread or focus or a little of both.

Other than that this game rocks. I absolutely love the sound effects and the humor.

Billy

17. kleerkoat

kleerkoat Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    gotta agree, the game is fun as hell for a quick run. only played about 10 times. all the bosses were kicking my butt. I did take down grammar nazi at least. lol

looking forward to more content!

18. Mrwubbs

Mrwubbs Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I think it would be nice if the cards could be flipped over. There could be some made up stats or even a bad pun or something on the back related to the image on the front. It just doesn't feel like a card to me unless it's two sided. Very nit picky I know...

19. AvengedInstinct

AvengedInstinct New Member

Jan 5, 2013
    So is this game still fun on a smaller device like a 5s? This looks like my kind of game but I'm worried about screen size being an issue.

20. Adsinjapan

Aug 7, 2013
    It works fine on a smaller screen. Yes, it looks bigger and there's a lot more real estate for your finger to move across the screen on an iPad, but the iPhone's do just as well with a one thumb control.
    You never feel awkward moving the character around and if anything, it makes the game more challenging. The bullets are still easy to avoid, even in some of the more hellish moments and the super attacks are activated with a simple double tap.

During the beta, the controls were a little too...finicky, but they really cleaned them up in the final release.