Universal Shootin Star (by FromLefcourt)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Sep 6, 2021.

1. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Citing Downwell (kinda), which happens to be one of my favorite games, is high praise!

2. FromLefcourt

FromLefcourt Active Member

Mar 11, 2021
    Male
    I'm happy for the comparison myself, but just keep in mind (if you haven't yet played) that it's not a roguelike.

3. FromLefcourt

Mar 11, 2021
    Male
    Patch 1.1 is approved for sale and should be rolling out now. It makes a number of small, but requested changes. More to come![​IMG]

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    You know me, @FromLefcourt. The moment I start commenting on something I love, I won't stop...so here are a couple of tiny things to point out:

1) You might want to update the little black cloud training video with the new indicator. Absolute nitpick though. :p
    2) Leaderboards and achievements both show the name of the game as Star Shooters.

The more I play, the more I absolutely fall in love with this game. I don't know what kind of magic you're using, but 2 absolute bangers on mobile so far. The little nuances such as the visual directions at the bottom...it's these little bits of smart UX and UI elements that make playing your games such a joy. :) Now we just need to get more peeps on these leaderboards!

FromLefcourt likes this.
  5. FromLefcourt

Mar 11, 2021
    Male
    1) Yeah, i'll probably need to get around to that. Hadn't even occurred to me.
    2) This is actually how it's supposed to be. You add your leaderboards and stuff to a "set" and you can name them what you want. If you're only ever going to have 1 leaderboard then it's fine to just name it after the game, but in my case, I'm hoping to have additional leaderboards as the game evolves, so unique names are better.

I'm really glad to hear you've appreciated my work, and those little touches like the arrows. I knew the control scheme would take a second for people to "get" because you need to be able to aim in all directions from anywhere on screen and not just in the direction from the star to where they touch. I realized the arrows would help with that, and keep people oriented even as the Star moves side to side.

Anyway, thanks again for all of your support. See you after the next patch!

metalcasket likes this.
  6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I mean, I have nothing to comment with other than hitting an imaginary like butto--oh wait, we have an actual one now...but how in the world did you reply with all of that so quickly?! :eek:

Also, you mister...when you talk about content and evolution, your track record with Arcane Golf is absolutely incredible. I cannot stress how much I'm looking forward to seeing this evolve. Also, me and my little silly suggestions, but perhaps taking the Rocketcat route and increasing the price of the game with every extra content update? Hmmm....maybe? Don't listen to me. Maybe. :p

FromLefcourt likes this.
  7. FromLefcourt

Mar 11, 2021
    Male
    That's an interesting idea about increasing the price. It might better support future expansions. I'm not sure if it's right for this particular project (but maybe...), but something I will consider for future ones.

metalcasket likes this.
  8. FromLefcourt

Mar 11, 2021
    Male
    [​IMG]
    Patch 1.2 is live. It's a big one! It also contains a number of bug fixes and optimizations. Let me know what you think, what you'd like to see in the future, and please leave a review if you pick up a copy of the game (it matters as much as the purchase itself!). More to come!

metalcasket and Anotherkellydown like this.
  9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I've legitimately not been able to put this down since picking it up and have to shamelessly admit that it's taking up faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more of my time than other games have in the last few weeks. I've already sung my praises about Shootin Star, but legit, everyone should be playing this. It HAS to become the App Store's next big title.

FromLefcourt likes this.
  10. FromLefcourt

Mar 11, 2021
    Male
    Your kindness knows no bounds. Thanks again (and always) for the support! More updates are planned if I can maintain some momentum.

metalcasket likes this.
  11. elcrazy

elcrazy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Hmmm I really wasn’t going to purchase this. Just looks too doodle jump for me. But with @metalcasket’s enthusiasm alone I will buy it. That and based on this developers history. Last game was fantastic and updates a plenty. Plus listens to the fans. Love how you already split the game into original and now what will be updated version. I want to play original and go from there. Great idea. Good luck with it. I’ll be buying later for sure.

metalcasket and FromLefcourt like this.
  12. FromLefcourt

Mar 11, 2021
    Male
    Wow, glad to hear it! Thanks to you (and metalcasket!). It definitely has roots in doodle jump, but the controls and playstyles are very different. I hope you enjoy it, but appreciate you taking a chance either way! Oh, and thanks for the kind words about my last game. If I could spend every hour of every day interacting with players and making and improving games I would.

elcrazy and metalcasket like this.
  13. FromLefcourt

Mar 11, 2021
    Male
    [​IMG]

Patch 1.4 has released for Shootin Star (sorry 1.3, so soup for you).

Anotherkellydown likes this.