iPad Sho Chiku Bai - Pachinko (including free lite version)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by 1337brian, Dec 15, 2008.

1. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    #1 1337brian, Dec 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2009
    What is this? See: here

[App store Link] $2.99

[Lite Version] Free

Just wondering if anyone had anything good or bad on this before I get it... Looks good, hefty @ 40 mb for a pachinko game ...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[hqyoutube]cowLoE-uNCA[/hqyoutube]

2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    1) What the hell is "pachinko"?

2) why is everything bright pink?

3. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I take it you've never been to Japan???... :rolleyes:

4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    #4 VeganTnT, Dec 15, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
    I'm downloading now, I'll edit in a few minutes with an impression

UPDATE: This wasn't fun at all. The majority of the board is taken up by the roullete screen. The handle that controls the launching takes up part of the pachinko screen rather than cover the worthless animation of the pachinko bin. You can cash in for other boards and whatnot but I don't see it being worth playing long enough to unlock them. Overall it's a steep price for what you get.

Though I did enjoy the title song
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?i=290857783&id=290857753&s=143441

5. VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Same question. What is Pachinko?

6. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    AstroPachinco was pretty fun for only a few mb

7. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    #7 Carlos-Sz, Dec 15, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
    "Sho Chiku Bai" Promo Video (no gameplay?!):

8. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Thanks for that, looks interesting still... How's quality?
    If this isn't good any other pachinko u would recommend?

9. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    It's a gambling game, real popular in Japan. Kinds like we have slot machines they have pachinko... Maybe a broad generalization but close enough... Google it

10. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Quality is rather good. the first board is plain and I heavily favored the left side because the handle for the balls velocity took up about a third of the rightside of the screen. You can see it in the first screenshot in the appstore.

Aside from Astro Pachinko and Pachinko Puzzle there aren't any other pachinko games on the app store. I liked Astro but the trivia questions weren't fun at all.

If the price for Sho chiku bai was in the 2.99 - 1.99 area I'd say it would be worth a look. But at 5?... I can't recommend it.

11. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Cool I guess I will wait on this one... Hopefully the price drops soon, I think I would like this... Thanks again for your opinion

12. MissionOne

MissionOne Active Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Game Developer, President of Mission One
    Tokyo
    About Sho Chiku Bai.... from the guy that produced it.

Hey everybody,

My name's Marc Cellucci, and I'm the president of Mission One and the director/producer of Sho Chiku Bai.

First off, I want to thank everyone for their interest in the product. Sho Chiku Bai is the very definition of a niche title (authentic Japanese pachinko), and it's good to see that there are people who are interested in this sort of thing.

As some of you may be finding out, pachinko is a very unique game. For those who don't know, pachinko is basically a game of chance, a strange cross between slot machines and pinball. The key to enjoying pachinko is not to try to "beat" it, it's about enjoying the animations and sound, while hoping that Lady Luck smiles upon you. Pachinko isn't for everyone, but it's absolutely *huge* in Japan, and Sho Chiku Bai is your chance to get a taste of it without gambling away a lot of money.

And that leads us to the discussion of price. Some of you seem to feel the $5 price is too steep... which I can somewhat understand due to the glut of free and $1 apps out there. But I'd like to let you know what went into making this project. Sho Chiku Bai is the result of 4 months of development, with a core staff of 5 people. It has a real physics engine, all-original characters, many different animations, and music done by a really famous guy in the game music industry here in Japan. All of this work does not come cheap, and $5 is the bare minimum I can charge in order to be able to keep things afloat here. I hope you all can understand this.

If you have any questions or comments about the title, just let me know. I'd love to discuss it more.

Marc

13. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    :)
    Hi Marc, and welcome to the forums, Thank you for posting, it's always nice to see a face for the company :) This game looks good for me as I am a pretty big pachinko fan, and well I have to admit you talked me into it, I'm going to go ahead and get this one... I'll let you know what I think in a bit

14. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Awesome game so far, it really needs to have the screen timing out fixed though... Also can you explain me why sometimes when I match 2 numbers it goes into the "reach" mode and other times it just re-spins the wheels???

15. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    You can tap on the handle to drop it out of view... Keeps the whole board visible...

16. MissionOne

MissionOne Active Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Game Developer, President of Mission One
    Tokyo
    Thanks!

Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words, 1337brian! I'm glad you like the game.

Yes, we do have some sound timing issues with the Reach animations. This is due to weird things in the way sound is handled on the device, but we are working on a fix for it to be launched in the coming weeks.

To answer your question, matching up two numbers always takes you to Reach mode, but there are only special animations for the odd numbers (1, 3, 5, 7). Even numbers just spin the slots as they are... although your odds of hitting are the same for even and odd numbers.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments!

Marc

17. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Thanks for replying mark... I have enjoyed very much so far. I think you may have misunderstood my last comment. Can you make an update to while playing the iPhone screen backlight stays on without having to go into "sleep" mode. Also can you clarify "reach" mode a little better? Also the animation with present always is the same, and it never matches, or is it each odd number had it's own specific animation? Thanks again...

18. kktp

kktp Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Nice to see Mission One people here. I enjoy this little pachinko game so far, played it about an hour last evening with three jackpots :)

And as 1337brian said earlier, sleep mode in this game is a bit annoy, i don't want to tap the screen every couple minutes.

19. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I got 7 for the day right now...

20. kktp

kktp Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nice :) i need some few more jackports for new board layouts. i guess you already got some, how are they?