iPad Shin Megami Tensei (ENG) by Index Digital Media

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Andy C83, Mar 17, 2014.

1. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    There was an interview with the localization team on Siliconera this morning. The lead translator said there are "no plans" for localizing 2, though I imagine if this sells well, there would be no reason for them not to do it (they've already done one on iOS, so they'd have familiarity with the coding medium).

The interview was pretty good, head over to Siliconera and check it out.

2. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    does anyone know how to capture demons? Is it by talking to them?

3. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #63 ScotDamn, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    Game Impressions

I wanted to put my impressions here now that Shaun Musgraves fantastic in depth review spent my money on SMT. I highly encourage you read it: http://toucharcade.com/2014/03/24/shin-megami-tensei-review/

I can't really add much to what he wrote. His review/overview was spot on as far as I can tell and if you only read one review, read Shauns. That said, I'll leave my personal perspective here for whatever it's worth. I've never played the game before, nor have I played any of the games in the series so my impressions are coming from someone who is completely new to the game.

The most impressive aspect of the game so far is the tone and story the game sets up for you. I really like the dark tone set and gives off a mature atmosphere. I can tell the story will be one of the driving points for me to continue playing.

The interface is surprisingly easy to navigate and I never felt lost or like I was blindly running around.

The flow is basically walking around town in the overhead perspective which shows a colored meter indicating the likelihood of running into a demon - with red being imminent danger inevitable. Entering buildings and encountering people or demons switches you to a first person perspective.

The demon encounters really set this game apart, in a typical encounter you have options like 'talk' and 'summon' along with the typical 'fight', 'escape', 'defend', and 'item' choices. Talking allows conversation which can lead to them joining or giving you items or loot like cash or weapons. It can also easily lead to a battle if the demon doesn't like what you say. So far this seems like a bit of a guessing game, but in Shauns review, he says there are some consistency there, amounting to memorizing what specific types of demons like and dislike.

The saving is what concerned me the most. Thanks to Shauns review, that concern was put to rest. So far (45 min in), you can always return home to save and the game also saves where you left off if you need to take a call or fully close the app, functioning just like a quick save.

That's about it so far, I've really enjoyed my time and I can't wait to play some more. :)

4. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Yep, talking.

5. asd1234

asd1234 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    need help!
    i'm stuck on the part "Return to Earth: Shibuya & Shinjuku" ... i have to free the soul diver... did that but him dosent go to shibuya to help me enter the "girl's mind" ...
    i allready have +30hours of playing and dont want to start all over

6. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Im stuck like 5 minutes in lol. Pretty much I left the house and ... have no idea where to go now. I feel like Ive walked everywhere.. Maybe this just isnt my kinda game.

7. Guess the sale is almost over, might buy this if it will convert to universal. Anyone know if there are such plans?

8. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Go to your room and sleep. :)

9. asd1234

Mar 30, 2014
    anyone finished the chapter 'after 30 years' ... 'Return to Earth: Shibuya & Shinjuku' ? I killed Ozawa and free the Soul Diver from shinjuku and now I'm stucked ...

10. asd1234

Mar 30, 2014
    nevermind... I just found out how to make the soul diver help me enter the girl's mind ...
    i'm at 40hours of gameplay and i'm just at middle of the game... great game i can say, better then any final fantasy game i played, and i played almost all of them

11. I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I would love to see this game universal, then I would buy it for sure!

12. asd1234

Mar 30, 2014
    if you play from an iphone as well then you should buy it, the portrait mode is really cool, and after few hours of playing you get used with how the game looks, only 30% of gameplay screen its used in portrait mode...
    its first time i play a SMT game and i like it more then most rpg i played, and i played alot of rpg's

13. asd1234

Mar 30, 2014
    if you have gba4ios then you can try it first, the room name i think is 'smt (japan)'
    its japan only, but at least you get to see how it is, it may not fit you
    i think this game will look v bad on an big screen(ipad..,) 'cos even on small screen of an iphone its blurr sometimes, its not all clean...and this playing in portrait mode, if i switch to landscape its even more blurry... on the big screen it will look even worst

14. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    No plans. The original App is about two years old in Japan. It's a minor miracle the US side was able to get the Japan side to work on inserting the localization, let alone anything more than that.

15. asd1234

Mar 30, 2014
    anyone finds this game a bit 2easy? i'm at the point where my partners , law and chaos heros have gone on their on path... and i'm left just with my girl partner( she's level 59 and me/primary character i'm level 60) but now i can summon 4 demons and the most common enemy i meet are lvl 30-60 and they come in group of 5-7 and still i have no problem killin them, even with bosses i use auto-battle and i never get killed ... except some really big dungeons with tricky one-way dors that are easy to get lost everything else seems too easy... maybe my level and stats are too high? i grind alot to level up... my defense is +100 and my atack is +150 ...
    i think i completed like 60-70% of the game, have +50h of gameplay

16. Gryphon

Gryphon Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2012
    I have no idea where to go after returning from the diamond realm

17. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    thinking of getting this. does it work in iOS 9

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    As far as I can tell, yes.

19. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    I just bought it and have been playing for a good three or four hours now on an iPad Air 2 running OS 9 and am have no problems. Love the music and the gameplay. Wow.

20. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    On sale again!:D