iPad Shin Megami Tensei (ENG) by Index Digital Media

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Andy C83, Mar 17, 2014.

1. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

Unfortunately most won't appreciate the fact that this is an official release of a game most probably never expected to be able to play without emulators, rooms and unofficial translation patches.
    I wish they release more in the future, including the Persona series...

2. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Yes, it's been confirmed by Atlus that they replaced the GBA soundtrack found in version 1.0 of the Japanese release of this app with the PSX version's soundtrack.

3. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    As someone who has never played SMT, is this RPG worth it? What is it about? All those soul gathering sounds as if it was a pokemon game with devils instead of pokemons... Can anyone throw light as to the kind of RPG we have here compared to other more known/traditional titles: Final Fantasy, Kemco RPG's,... Thanks

4. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

Since this game is decades old, you can easily find such information about it on Google.

This is not your generic kemco RPG. And it has nothing to do with collecting Pokemon. Imagine characters which you can recruit and fusion to get more powerful demons.

It is harder than any final fantasy. Don't expect lighthearted gameplay that you find in games nowadays. You will get lost, you will be beaten hard if you don't pay attention and play well, etc. it's a real old school RPG from the times when games were actually hard and the developers didn't care if people whined.

5. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Already googled for info prior to posting here. My problem is that I find around 10-12 "Shin Megami Tensei" games. It's like googling Final Fantasy...

I've finished old school Final Fantasies, Breath of Fire on the SNES, etc., so it's nice to read this one is old-school RPG. I'll try to find more info on this version to see if it suits me nowadays :D thanks for the info.

6. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    #46 Aventador, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014

All the info you can get on SMT universe condensed into few pages :
    http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/megaten/megaten.htm
    Shin Megami Tensei 1 info is on page 2.

But looking at the RPGs you like ( same as me ) , I honestly wouldn't recommend this game because it's hard and confusing most of the time, you can loose hours wandering around not knowing what your goal is, aka what does game want you to do to make progress ( but then again dozen of walktroughts are available ). Story and music are excellent though.
    YouTube also has plenty of SMT walktroughs , maybe looking at those helps you get a better understanding of game.

I personally find the story rather intriguing , but I never had will to play it more than an hour because it's way too difficult for me.

7. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks for the heads up. I found a video of the SNES gameplay (10') and as you say, I wasn't too "wow'd" by it. I think I'll stick to more traditional RPG's.

8. siveon

siveon Member

May 15, 2013
    Loving it so far.

9. Lerisbo1192

Lerisbo1192 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2012
    hueco mundo
  10. robbmx77

robbmx77 Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Is Touch Arcade going to review this game?

11. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #51 Gwarmaxx, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    regardless "emulation yes or not" discussion, is it a perfect port of the SNES/GBA game with the same whole story, or has it some new features?

Attached Files:

12. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I just wanna know if this is something I should buy. I'm not concerned too much about the old school rpg mechanics, been there before. I just want some impressions from someone that's actually played it with some kind of overview of the game play.

148apps "reviewed" it and gave 2.5 stars but I don't usually trust their reviews. Hopefully Shaun reviews it, he's the lone reviewer at TA I tend to trust.

13. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

148apps didn't play the game. They just launched, saw the butt ugly interface, and proceeded to give a low score.

Look for Shin Megami Tensei 1 on google. This game is like 22 years old. You will find plenty of impressions.
    If you want to know how the game works specifically on this version, from what I read (I've never played it before because I'm to lazy to get roms, patch and play on my mac), it's the GBA version released in 2002 I think, but with the superior sound of the PS1 port.
    The virtual buttons are ok.

Quick overview for lazyness:
    The game is hard, you probably will wander aimlessly if you don't pay attention (and maybe even if you do). Sometimes you might get stuck on a ridiculous hard fight. This game won't hold your hand by any means. If you need help, the best thing to do is to look for a guide on GameFAQs.

The first person view is cluncky and takes a while to get used to. But even more recent games like Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey is clunky like that (I absolutely love that game's OST).

The ambient is shallow and you won't see NPCs until you are on the spot to talk with them. In other words, you will wander on empty corridors most of the time.
    The demon negotiation – which is on of the most important characteristics of the series is fully present, and it's quite funny. And cool if you think about the date this game was first released.

The story is IMO, like every SMT, amazing. It is a bit confusing, but few games will offer a more epic idea for a story. I won't post spoilers here.

This is not your softcore Kemco RPG or Final Fantasy (yes, FF is softcore). This is a deep, dark, hard and epic RPG in "modern" times, with a scope that granted it to not be released in western markets because of the religious elements of it.

14. B-Rabbit

B-Rabbit Active Member

Dec 6, 2012
    This. :)

15. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I guess I'm interested in things I don't already know. Of course I've worked Google over. Looking for someone to shed light on game flow and general impressions, ideally from someone who's actually played the game. I don't feel that's too much to ask - we do this on a consistent basis here on the forums.

16. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Hang in there, Scott. Review's on the way. Spoiler: I like it more than that other review did.

17. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

I know that this is done here. But it's not everyday that a "new game" is 20 years old.

Anyway, I gave you an overview. I'm 6 hours in, which is more that most story driven games in ios, and I must say that the game is picking up the pace now.
    As I said before, it's harder and much more vague than your generic kemco RPG. The story is actually not cliche as the usual JRPG — especially with this game being the first of them all.
    What exactly do you want specifically to know? Your request is too vague for this game. The gameplay was already explained. It's a first person RPG in battle just like Dragon Quest. You will never see how your main char looks like. Movement is also done in first person and consists basically on labyrinths. Think of Coldfire keep. What more do you need to know that you can't find on google?

18. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Excellent, that's good to hear, Shaun.

It's cool man, I appreciate the effort.

19. As someone who prefers playing the Phoenix Wright Trilogy in portrait on his 4th Gen Touch, the SMT-stylized GBA-esque orientation appeals to me, and the noted swapping of the GBA audio for the PS1 sounds is appreciated (one of the reasons I'll not be buying FFVIII on Steam for the time being, as compared to FFVII). I'm still too engrossed in Bravely Default ATM and new-ish at dungeon-crawling in general to buy right now, but if it hits three bucks or less...

20. NolbertoS

NolbertoS Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2009
    I'm late to the party guys, but any chance of SMT 2 being in English soon?? Has Atlus stated they'll have in within the next couple of months or so?