iPad Shin Megami Tensei (ENG) by Index Digital Media

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Andy C83, Mar 17, 2014.

1. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Enquiry: Why is the iPhone black while all iPads are white?

Well, I can play SWR:OG 1 and 2 on iPad Mini and I think I can adjust to 2x mode games. Buy button smashed already. In case anyone is curious, it takes up 26.7MB installed.

2. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    I played the PS2 version and spotted that even if I reached level 32 l wouldn't have got a 1000 hp and even after playing over 10 hours I had difficulty with even the most basic enemies. To hell with that! I'm not doing that again!

3. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    A friend saw the screenshot and ask: is this just an embedded emulator game?

4. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Game Impressions

Nothing special, I usually choose white for my Tablets and black for my phones.

5. rpgmind

rpgmind Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Lol!!! Was it truly that difficult for you?

6. db2

db2 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Michigan, USA
    So, has anybody examined the app to see if it's actually a port, or if it's just running a translated SNES/SFC ROM via emulation?

7. Flynn Taggart

Flynn Taggart Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Is this legit? Because it looks like butt.

8. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    This is 2014, not 2009. Why not universal? I refuse to pay for an iPhone only game.

9. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    I think it's an actual port.. There are no signs of gba anywhere (it's ported from the gba version) except for the save file name named gbasram with 1mb size..

10. chaos_envoys

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    Btw, there are no black border on the iphone version..

11. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    LOL, that's a pretty big "sign of gba"... :p ;)

12. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Looks like a really lazy attempt to sell a GBA game on IOS via some kind of emulator. I won't be touching this.

13. chaos_envoys

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    Hahaha~ at first, i thought about gba sram save (64kb) but the size is too big.. maybe they just modify an emulator to only run this game and modify the save file.. Other than that, inside the .app there are nothing more..

14. siveon

siveon Member

May 15, 2013
    Shin Megami Tensei 1 was never on the PS2. It was ported/remade to the PS1, but only in Japan I think. You may be referring to SMT3: Nocturne, that Action RPG series, or those Digital Devil games.

Though this game is harder than all of those, if I remember. Might buy it for that reason, mostly because I want to compare this with the fan-translation. These titles were never meant to be grinding = win, except the Persona titles.

15. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

#35 ednan, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    I ended up buying it.
    I always wanted to play the first SMT.
    It does run great but I don't understand why they didn't put controls for iPad. It is or it seems an emulated game on a smaller screen with virtual buttons.

Making this a universal app with better arranged buttons definitely wouldn't equate in new expenses. That said, I find it playable on my iPad, but I'm now playing on my iPhone, it's way more comfortable, although I would enjoy more the bigger screen of my iPad.

Gameplay wise, it's a vintage JRPG, there is no holding hands here, and it will never have. If you are not prepared to look at a guide at GameFAQs if you're stuck for too long, better stay away.
    The first person view works like Coldfire Keep (recently released). The game is extremely old, so the scenery is bland with not much detail.
    Negotiating with demons is cool and something very innovative for the the time. And I don't think many games explored this mechanic much outside the SMT series.
    The story is what you'd expect from a SMT game. If you are curious, go read a bit on the interwebz. It has God, Devil, and many demons and creatures from many different religions around the world. I absolutely love this aspect of the game.

TL;DR: cool game if you either like old school JRPGs (real old school, not "old school-like" that you see nowadays), or are curious enough to play the first entry of one of the weirdest RPG franchises that exists.

16. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    I have no idea on what platforms this originally occured but for me this is the first time i get to play it. This was a big deal when it came out and me and my friends here in Holland couldn't play it. This just being translated justifies the price for me. Old school jrpg with dozens of hours of gameplay,hard & grindy,hell yeah!
    I can totally understand that not universal,lazy porting/emulating may put a lot of folks off. I had tears in my eyes when i read yesterday it was coming out.
    I didn't get to play much since my daughter had her birthday today,but tonight i'll dive in a few hours.
    I guess what i'm trying to say that for some people this is legendary stuff,we'd never thought we'd get to play. Only if you trembled a bit when hearing this was coming to IOS i'd recommend to buy it.

17. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

Yep. I agree with you. I don't care it's an emulation. This game is srs bsnss.
    The only thing that bothers me is that it wouldn't really cost to reposition in a decent way the virtual buttons for the iPad. But in the end of the day we have the first SMT, fully translated, ready to be played.

18. TheProxy

TheProxy Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    How is this game's story? And the polish in the gameplay compared to other SMT games? How does the fusion system work? Do you choose inherited skills or whatever?

I am a huge fan of SMT but it is usually the story that gets me. I have never found any of the games particularly difficult.

19. TheTheory

TheTheory Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    hotel
    Central PA
    I about dropped a brick when I found out this was being released.

Recently downloaded (cough, cough) a fan translation version for an emulator, so I'll gladly drop the $$ here.

After so many years I figured an official English release of this was never going to happen. Yet here we are!

20. Onikage725

Onikage725 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2011
    The draw here is that it never saw an official translation, and nobody really expected them to bother. Also, it's been on the App Store for ages, at twice the price and in raw Japanese. So a brand new translation plus drastic price cut? Cool!

Also, I would have preferred the PSX version, but the GBA version is a nice compromise. They could have been extremely lazy and gone with the SNES/SFC version and licensed (or "borrowed") the fan translation that exists for that. The GBA version plays smoother, has less bugs, and better difficulty balancing. The only problem with it is the audio, like with all SNES to GBA ports. I think they tweaked that though. Could just be the years since I've done any comparisons, but this version sounds closer to the PSX version to me.