Shill Accounts, Spam, Banning from the Site

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by arn, Feb 2, 2009.

1. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    There's been a few instances of both site owners and developers creating "shill" accounts to try to covertly promote their sites/apps.

This is considered the worst offense here and will get your app or site banned from the entire site.

Developers
    Developers may certainly promote their own apps. We encourage it as long as they do so reasonably and participate in the forums. But they must clearly identify themselves. A simple signature is sufficient.

If we find developers who are deceptively posing as regular users posting self-promoting reviews, then we will ban that developer's apps from being mentioned again in the forums or the main site.

Site owners
    Some have accused me of trying to suppress the competition, but that is not the case.

We don't let site owners promote their own sites. We were a little loose about it for a while, but it turned into a free-for-all for some. Where certain individuals would post links to their site in practically every thread. It ruins the discussion and that is why we don't allow it.

Casual linking to other sites is, of course, allowed, especially if it contributes to the discussion. But similarly, 3rd party or "shill" accounts will quickly result in banning for obvious reasons.

arn

50HellsofPain likes this.
  2. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Being on the site since October last year, I can say for a fact that these forums are very open to any developer, as long as they do identify themselves. In fact there are many games I have purchased simply based on the fact that the dev was very involved on these forums....

3. Klondike

Klondike Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Forum Poster.
    Wherever I feel like living, that's where.
    The Pocket God developer is very involved with the community.

4. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Excellent!

It's good to see this rule being implemented. I really enjoy discussing apps with the developers and other gamers but nothing annoys me more than someone with a shill account spamming the forums.

5. goblues11

goblues11 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    great rules arn

6. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Arn. I am about to post about Fieldrunners being easier after the new update but have to point people to a post on the official Fieldrunners forum. Is that allowed?\

Thnx

7. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    See above:

"Casual linking to other sites is, of course, allowed, especially if it contributes to the discussion"

8. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    ok thanks, just wanted to make sure

9. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm a developer, I swear to god.

10. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I wanna play bullet skater! :)

11. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    It's horrible when devs post as normal users, it's too obvious. If I was a dev, I would much rather post as the dev, and even if people thought my game was bad, I could receive constructive criticism. This is compared to acting like a normal user, and having people be mad at you for recommending a bad game. Also, if you get caught doing that, your rep on the app store is ruined forever (unless you start a new dev name on the app store). It's just not worth it. I'm much nicer to a dev who doesn't have the best game but is striving to improve it rather than an apparent false normal user

12. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    thank you arn. finally some rules for the spammers here. :rolleyes: