Universal Shift Shaft (by William Katz)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Rocco SE, Mar 16, 2022.

1. shiftshaft

shiftshaft Member

Mar 16, 2022
    Thanks for the feedback. I hear you and I tried to make the game require that you have enough rune slots. I understand that I might have missed the mark on difficulty.

Stay tuned for updates, I can’t promise I’ll update the difficulty but Im planning on different game modes that you might find fun.

Again, thanks for the feedback!

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  2. honeybadger

honeybadger Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Finally beat it, nice job dev! Getting to 3 rune slots made it a lot easier, and something clicked on the bats (+more health). Would love to see more replayability in the future, even just seeing a best run #s as well as total numbers in the stats. Would also be cool if there was endless mode unlocked after beating the boss.

3. shiftshaft

shiftshaft Member

Mar 16, 2022
    #43 shiftshaft, Apr 5, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
    Congrats @honeybadger, that's awesome to hear.

Yes, I really want to add support for re-playability and I am also trying to figure out how to make this approach to game development sustainable. I think that I'm going to work on a huge update in the next year that adds things like daily game modes, endless modes, puzzles modes, and a story mode. I hope you pick up Shift Shaft every now and then over the next year and get to enjoy the new content we are planning.

4. shiftshaft

shiftshaft Member

Mar 16, 2022
    Hi everyone,

Today, I just released version 0.8.3 that includes a few bug fixes:
    - Made it slightly more likely to get health potions and health upgrades for players just starting out
    - Fixed an issue where the "Reach Depth 8" achievement was not being honored correctly
    - Fixed an issue where the boss level would sometimes spawn the wrong amount of pillars
    - Decreased the animation duration for Gem Magnet

Thank you to @honeybadger and @Roxton for reporting the bug about "Reaching Depth 8" not triggering correctly. You'll need to reach depth 8 to earn the achievement but now it should record it properly.

In other big news the game is on the iOS App Store Games tab front page in categories "New This Week" and "More New Games We Love."

Thanks so much for supporting the game by telling friends and by making bug reports. It really helps and I appreciate your time and efforts.

IMG_1346.PNG IMG_1348.PNG

aussiepaul and Anotherkellydown like this.
  5. Gus_SWE

Gus_SWE Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2022
    Male
    This is a fun game with huge potential. A shame that the developer won’t support it properly and fix it’s many flaws?

i thoroughly enjoy every run up to lvl 6 or somewhere around that when the game get’s super cheap and spawn a gazillion enemies at once.

6. shiftshaft

shiftshaft Member

Mar 16, 2022
    Hey, thanks so much for the feedback. Yes we are definitely concerned about difficulty and it's something we are thinking about for the future. We are a very small team (3 people) so it is hard to get updates out when we also want to create more content.

You mentioned other flaws and we are all ears, what's some other stuff that has been bothering you outside of the difficulty ramp?

Thanks so much for playing and we will do our best to address your concerns.

pjft likes this.
  7. Gus_SWE

Gus_SWE Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2022
    Male
    Hi,

Nice to see response, sorry but I got the feeling that you had abandoned this project. I’m glad thats not the case.

Well aside from the difficulty issue where the game just drowns you in enemies, one thing I noticed is that a whole lot of the unlockables is impossible to get since you basically can’t get further in the game. For instance, that is one that require you to kill a hundred salamanders. I think I have managed to kill one in like 50 runs or so o_O

Then there are a bunch that just have way to high unlocking requirements to them, like the health/dodge ones. How am I ever gonna get further when Im locked out from more health? I think the whole unlocking powerup thingy needs a overlook and some rebalancing.

There are some screen aspect ratio issues for me. The game doesn’t fill the screen properly when playing, also in menus some of the buttons are cut off and barly visible. I’m on a iphone SE.

Some QoL stuff would be appriciated. For instance the music is fine and all, but since the game only have one single track that plays over and over again it has started to annoy me a bit. A volume slider would be great?

Everything is so small and hard to see when the board is getting bigger. This will probably be better once the screen aspect ratio thing is resolved?

those are some of my gripes with the game right now. I really hope you fix it cus it’s a cool concept and a different take on the match/puzzle game ganre.:)

8. shiftshaft

shiftshaft Member

Mar 16, 2022

Thank you so much for the feedback and sorry for ghosting you.

I agree with you the game and especially the progression aspect needs a balancing pass. I am finding it extremely difficult to devote any time to Shift Shaft but I do have some plans in the works to get a big update during the winter when things quiet down.

Things I am aiming to do by February~ish:
    - Balance pass on achievements
    - QoL updates
    - Daily mode and leaderboards
    - Screen aspect improvements

Thanks again for playing and I hope you enjoy your time despite some of Shift Shaft's shortcomings.

Anotherkellydown and aussiepaul like this.