Universal Shieldwall Chronicles (By Wave Light Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by WaveLightGames, Feb 22, 2019.

1. cragganmore

cragganmore Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 30, 2012
    No worries! I’ll just play it on my phone with some occasional squinting. :) Congrats on an awesome game. Truly amazing work.

2. Leptomeninges

Leptomeninges Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Male
    #42 Leptomeninges, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    Some additional random thoughts and impressions. Still playing hard, but switched to complex. Party is level 7-ish. I'm at campaign 10. I play each level 4-5 times to farm gold and experience before moving on, so I've played ~40-50 successful battles not counting my early failures which were not trivial. Current party is: dwarf, silver elf, winter mage, hunter, cleric, assassin. (I gravitate towards very archetypal roles in tactical games like this.)
    • Complex does feel harder than simple, although if both monsters and heroes are playing by the same set of rules I'm not sure why this would be the case.
    • So far every time I've tried to upgrade to extreme, I've gotten demolished. I'm guessing 50/50 it being me sucking versus needing to downgrade campaign levels to complete on extreme.
    • At hard difficulty, it's helpful to concentrate your force. Each campaign level will "offer" you a few flanks to engage. My success rate is highest when I decline all but one flank to engage, and make the others come to me.
    • Dwarf rarely takes more than one point of damage per attack with total armor ~85. So far his actives feel lacking although I haven't yet unlocked Horn Blast or Ancestor Rune which look to me like his key abilities. Often in games like this I find tanks to be helpful only in the early game, late game favoring a max-dps loadout. Will be curious to see if that holds here also.
    • I haven't yet been able to clean house with the silver elf as was described above. Part of this is zone of control limiting positioning options, and part is AP starvation preventing sweeping blade spam when in position.
    • Assassin continues to be a key player. Enter Shadows and Kick are the money abilities I use most often. Since I'm commonly hitting him with imbue frost to take advantage of fast attack speed, I tend not to use other self-buffs such as poison.
    • Cleric is used for healing touch (yay for two-turn cooldown) and renew faith for big hits. Blessing of battle is also decently useful when clumped.
    • After experimenting with both the shadowelf and hunter, I prefer the hunter. The shadowelf does unlock its summon earlier (summons being OP in games like these) and starts with more attacks, but the hunter having greater range and utility (fleet of foot and horn blast) tipped the scales for me.
    • I'm going to take back some of the things I said about mages earlier. Right now, the frost mage seems to me the early game winner. Imbue frost is a very powerful early buff, and easily outclasses the early game combat utility of the celestial mage. Summoning the ice golem is like casting five spells at once when considering tanking, damage, damage avoidance, etc. I'll be curious to see how he holds up late game. Earlier on I was unimpressed with direct damage spells, but frost blast seems to be performing better as I level up.
    • Store offerings seem to scale with level. Since there is never enough gold to maximally fill all slots, I'm guessing that some combination of filling key slots with the best available items is optimal.
    Edit
    • Campaign 14 is essentially a three turn kill quest — a good early to mid game farm. As a bonus there’s a pile of gold that always spawns in the top right

3. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Nice feedback. Glad you're enjoying it. I wouldn't worry about Extreme difficulty for now. It's meant to replay levels once you have a high-level team. At mid-level, you can probably play early levels on extreme, I suspect.

4. Leptomeninges

Leptomeninges Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Male
    You did a nice job on the game. I don’t know how big the market is for tactical rpgs like this, but it’s right up my alley. I’ll have to check out your earlier offerings when I finish this one.

WaveLightGames likes this.
  5. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks very much! I believe this one to be the best but the others are great too, in their own ways.

Just a quick update to everyone. The 1.02 patch is out. It's a fairly minor patch that improves stability and fixes a few small bugs.

6. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    #46 Son of Anarchy, Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    I was debating whether to mention level 34, the part where all the enemies did the work for the heroes, but I see you were already on the case. I’m glad you tweaked it, but it was nice while it lasted :D

Finished my first play through and enjoyed the game very much, especially the effort put into the writing and story, thank you.

Monster design was/is awesome, special mention to the larger foes towards the end. I remember being overwhelmed by the ‘largest’ foe in the game and feeling exulted when I killed it, only to discover how important it is to read mission requirements before beginning...

I used to think that six party members was too many to keep track of at once. But I have long since come to appreciate the many options. The true beauty of all Wave Light games is the hiring, firing and experimenting with different party members. That’s when the real game begins...

Edit: Is there a way to copy a save slot into one of the empty save slots? That would be very handy.

andsoitgoes likes this.
  7. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Congrats! I believe you're the first one to report in a campaign win. Really glad that you liked the story. I tried quite hard to make a workable story this time around. I even took an online course on plot development and narrative structure, believe it or not. I wanted the players to feel like they were a random bunch of guys thrown into a situation where they have a chance to affect a world they normally never see (nobility, demon lords, etc.)

If you haven't already, please take the time to leave a nice review on the app store. It helps a lot and is really the best way to support games that you enjoyed. Also, sharing on facebook / twitter / etc. helps too. :)

8. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Sorry I missed your question. There isn't any way to do that currently. Can you let me know why it would be helpful?

9. vonknut

vonknut Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Shame it cant run on my old 1gb iphone 6+
    Guess its time to retire it.

Will play it on my ipad untill then

10. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yep .. I tried repeatedly to get it to work on 1gb ram devices but was never able to do it.

This game really pushes the graphics out by a significant measure as compared to earlier games.

11. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Here are some details on the upcoming Centaur class. He will land on the Steam version today and then hopefully the iOS version sometime next week as a free update.

[​IMG]

Team selection screen that shows his abilities. The male variant has melee-focused abilities that focus on charging and speed / aggression.

[​IMG]

Both the male and female variants in an early battle. The female centaur is a much faster and lighter character class that focusses on fast-moving archery with hit / run tactics.

The Centaur adds a new passive ability / mechanic called the Charge Bonus. This bonus gives the character class a melee bonus (+25% melee stun class, +25 intimidation and +6 melee damage bonus) when they move 5 or more tiles to get into combat. This allows the Centaur to hit very hard initially. The class isn't that tough once in melee though so will suffer if they try to stay in melee too long.

12. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    The 1.03 update with the Centaur and new magic items is out. Unfortunately it also includes a bug where any levels with the snake summoning totems will hang in the AI turn. I am uploading a fix for it now. Hopefully Apple approves it quickly.

Here's a preview of the next character class I am working on. It is a dwarf Bombadier so will be in full plate with a tower shield and handgun. It will have grenades and various shield and engineering-related abilities.

[​IMG]