Universal SHI•RO (by the brothers grimm)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by digitalhoax, Sep 11, 2018.

1. digitalhoax

digitalhoax Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2012

SHI•RO

the brothers grimm
    Solve challenging puzzles on a beautiful Japanese lacquer box and engage with stories based in early Japan: In the begin…
    TouchArcade Rating:
    $2.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Solve challenging puzzles on a beautiful Japanese lacquer box and engage with stories based in early Japan: In the beginning, so the Kojiki tells, sea was sky and sky was sea. Journey towards calmness while rotating a lacquer box, puzzle by puzzle, word by word, further in time. In SHI•RO you reconcile past and present with empress Gemmei, travel through dark forests to invite spirits to the shrine of old Yoshida, and climb Mount Inari with a fox. PLAY AN ENGAGING STORY SHI•RO tells the story of an ancient empress, a lost love and a blossoming friendship. Based on the first Japanese writing, the Kojiki, you engage with an emerging world. SOLVE CHALLENGING PUZZLES Over 60 handmade puzzles challenge you along the journey of empress Gemmei. Think out of the box while playing on a lacquer box! Will you help the empress to separate the sea from the sky? ENJOY A BEAUTIFUL DESIGN SHI•RO celebrates the beauty of Japanese lacquerware by transforming your device into a lacquer box. Gold and silver shimmer in your hands while you unriddle complex geometries and find stories of depth beyond the surface. LISTEN TO THE SOUND OF JAPAN By solving puzzles, you hear words of Japanese language, or as a native speaker of Japanese, learn words in English. Japanese Taiko drums will guide your way. ENTER THE SHI•RO UNIVERSE By purchasing SHI•RO, you get access to the complete first part, KURO. But more is in the making! Once we release the second part MIDORI and the third part AKA, you will be able to purchase them in-game and continue your journey.
    Information
    Seller:the brothers grimm
    Genre:Adventure, Puzzle
    Release:Sep 09, 2018
    Updated:May 09, 2022
    Version:1.2.1
    Size:181.5 MB
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

This is Lennert from the brothers grimm, happy to announce the release of SHI•RO by Isi and Jasper from games studio Topicbird.

We will stick around for discussion and questions in case any come up. Looking forward to your opinion on the first title we released on the App Store together!

djstout and raravan like this.
  2. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    This game is wonderful!!!! It’s a killer, I absolutely love it! 5 stars all the bloody way, great great puzzle and really lovely story.

digitalhoax likes this.
  3. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    Your game is brilliant, this is a little gem that will stay for a long time on my phone, I usually play games for one or two hours only before switching for a new one, but I’ll make sure to finish this one, it’s so refreshing and relaxing while being challenging, well done devs, you made my week!

digitalhoax likes this.
  4. digitalhoax

Oct 21, 2012
    Wow, thank you so much for the kind feedback! I will make sure Isi and Jasper come join us in the discussion. They have two add-ons in the making, introducing new puzzle mechanics that we hope you will enjoy just as much as the first one. Again, thank you so much for getting in touch, wasn't expecting such positive feedback!

djstout and raravan like this.
  5. digitalhoax

Oct 21, 2012
    Hey, SHI•RO has been featured on a lot of App Stores upon release, made it to the #1 puzzle app in the UK and we got a lot of great user reviews across all stores. We are happy to get more feedback and would love to discuss what you liked about the game (and what you didn't, if that is the case). What improvements would you like to see? What did you find most engaging? Cheers! Lennert

6. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I’ve liked the look of it but haven’t gotten after reading some reviews that said it seemed confusing.

7. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    I don’t think the game is confusing at all, it’s very clear and easy to play, at very first I was thinking the same but after a few minutes I totally understood the game.

8. digitalhoax

Oct 21, 2012
    Thank you for the feedback, some reviews seem to be quite harsh about not grasping the concept, even though we put a lot of effort into giving hints and tutorials on all the key features. That said, a lot of people don't tend to read hints in games, which is a problem we are working on.

Also thanks a lot @djstout for chiming in on this!

For greater insights and what to expect from the game, there is now also a really well written review on toucharcade, check it out here!

djstout likes this.
  9. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    #9 djstout, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    You’re more than welcome, I am playing it everyday (between 15 to 30 minutes) on my way to work, it’s really nice and the story is super interesting, I am always looking forward to reading more of it and I am a bit surprise to see that there aren’t too many people giving it a bit more love here. It is really easy to understand if you read everything, but i guess some people are too lazy and can’t bother reading... they’d rather play something simplistic that doesn’t need much effort.

10. Blankito

Blankito Active Member

May 29, 2015
    I had to check out the game for the dev's name! I'm absolutely surprised! Amazing game! Great puzzle!

djstout likes this.
  11. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    Totally agree! My favourite game this month.

12. Crichton333

Crichton333 Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Game developer
    Wouldn't it be bad for a puzzle to be easy ?

13. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Confusing doesnt mean hard/challenging. More like people dont get what to do or how. Unless I misunderstood him.

14. digitalhoax

Oct 21, 2012
    Thanks, glad the name got us a download at last ;)

Yes, apparently some people skip the tutorials and get confused by the game mechanic.

Blankito likes this.
  15. digitalhoax

Oct 21, 2012
    Hey, just a quick heads-up for anyone following this thread.To celebrate SHI•RO’s three month anniversary, we will release the ‘Open Sky’ that features 15 challenging new puzzles this Thursday, the 6th of December. The game will be on sale until the 9th of December and is available for $1.99 on the Apple App Store right now.

We would love to get your feedback on the new puzzles. Did you make it through the current puzzles already? Struggling with something along the way? Happy to get back to anyone interested in chatting about the game! Cheers, Lennert

leokamiya likes this.