Universal Shellrazer - (by Slick Entertainment Inc)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 25, 2012.

1. bambambam

bambambam Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    #121 bambambam, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
    On the last stage and I have no idea how to beat it. I'm playing on normal/pretty tricky. The difficulty ramps up like crazy in the last few stages... I should've played on easy. I just want to see the ending now.

Edit - Nevermind, I figured it out! I just had to invest gold in upgrading some other towers and changing strategies. It was still pretty darn close on the last stage though! Fantastic game and I'll be playing this one for awhile.

2. h_A_Z

h_A_Z Active Member

Oct 29, 2011
    PJ
    Is it just me or the iCloud sync doesn't work?

3. WinneyL

WinneyL New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Fun game! Definitely worth the $0.99 it's currently priced at.

Here are my suggestions:
    - Each weapon should have its own weapon cursor (like Unreal Tournament) The cursors can sometimes get confusing when you're targeting multiple of them at the same time.
    - Inventory management isn't very good. I don't think this will be fixed, but the interface is poor. There should at least be a tab to switch between weapon mods and 1-use buffs.
    - Floating enemy health bars or floating damage numbers would be nice. This should be toggleable, but right now it's hard to judge how much damage your weapon is doing against an enemy.

I haven't completed the game yet, but after about 2 hours, I really like what I've played so far.

4. bambambam

Sep 29, 2010
    Big plus for these 2 ideas. There definitely should be 2 tabs: one for items and one for equipment.

Enemy health bars would be awesome but I wouldn't scream about it.

5. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Just picked this up and really liking it.

Something I noticed right off the bat is that the sound effects in general seem to be not loud enough, especially the machine gun in particular. An increase in sound effect volume would be welcome. Also, while I feel the two control options work fine I find it frustrating with my finger always covering up the enemies I am trying to shoot (I'm using an iPhone). With this being said I'm not sure if a twin stick type of control scheme would work any better, but it would be a nice option if integrated properly.

But really though, this is a sweet little game with tons of personality. Anyone interested in shooters/action games will like this. Definitely recommended.

6. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #126 SumoSplash, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
    This game KICKS ASS! Curtis the War Mage is fantastic! At first I thought he was weak until I realized you can charge his lightning. WHOA! And the 'chanting' he does is great! And I LOVE characters that use lightning! Mortal Kombat Raiden. Aliss and assorted others from Solomon's Keep/Boneyard. Lightning rules!

Has anyone noticed that his lightning bolt is thicker/more powerful as it's fired closer in proximity to the turtle?

In regards to the controls... This game must be so good on the iPad. Using the 'two finger' control method is DEFINITELY the way to go because it allows the firing two weapons simultaneously. In fact what I've been doing is keeping the thumb of my right hand on the scope while using the index finger on my left hand for the first level of attack and my middle finger to switch between the second and third levels of attack. With the machine gun, cannon and war mage equipped, this method keeps the machine gun firing constantly, tapping the cannon once, then charging Curtis, then back to the cannon. It's ridiculous! This is the first three-fingered control scheme I've used on a touch screen.

The problem is that this is so damn awkward trying to do this on the phone. Makes me want to go get an iPad PRONTO!

7. Sumosplash,

Yeah, this game plays so much better on the ipad. The added real estate really does wonders.

8. justln

justln Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore

I'm used to weird controls, Monster Hunter on the PSP. :D
    [​IMG]

9. bambambam

Sep 29, 2010
    #129 bambambam, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
    Well I went nuts and completed the game on all 3 difficulties and I maxed out all the weapons. Here are some random thoughts:

On casual level, the weapons are pretty balanced and it is possible to complete the game with any weapon. I'm not saying you can do it with the 3 worst weapons but any weapon + 2 decent weapons will complete the game.

And I know this 100% because I actually tried it. I finished the last area(desert)with every weapon. Obviously, I didn't try out every combo as that would take weeks but I tried every weapon at least once. The only constant was that I always used the ice tower.

BUT...

on the hardest difficulty.

All weapons are not equal :p

I'm not saying you HAVE to use certain weapons but there are some weapons that probably won't work. But please don't worry, you're not pigeon-holed into one strategy.

The hardest difficulty is hectic so unfortunately, the weapons which require holding down the button aren't really good. This means the wizard and the artillery towers. They work in the lowest difficulty...and the middle difficulty but it's stressful.

The most powerful towers in the game in my opinion:

1a) Shredder: Insane damage and good reload time. The blade one-hit kills the flying bomb dinosaur, the blimp(aim it between the balloon and the cannon), and the bomb carts. It also does insane damage to buildings...and it can hit two towers at once which is important in the latter stages. It's weak vs the sheep riders, helicopters, and flying armored guys.

1b) The Ice tower: The slow ability is crucial in hectic stages. It slows down bomb birds/carts/jumpers and gives you time to respond. It also does excellent damage and one-hit kills most "regular" guys and the bomb carts. It clears the screen of weaklings and lets you focus on the tough enemies with your other towers.

If you use the above 2 towers, you can pick any other 3rd tower and you can finish casual easily...and the middle difficulty with some skill/luck.

Random thoughts on towers(pls note this is for maxed out towers):

Orcish Cannoneer: My 3rd choice on the hardest difficulty. Fantastic tower... onehit kills all ground units. I use it to clear out the sheep riders and armored runners in order for my shredder to do its thing.

Shotgun Eddy: Damage is pretty low...it does okay versus weak units but I wouldn't pick this over the ice tower.

Gunnar Gunnarson - Your starting tower. Okay until the middle part of the game but I wouldn't use it after that. The damage is too low. It's okay for clearing out weak units but there are other towers that can do that faster with more benefits.

Klang the blacksmith - Okay... I'm not a defensive player so I like to go all out with offensive towers. I find a good offense is the best defense in this game. But I would pick the piper over this tower if I had to use a defensive tower.

Simon Arms Dealer - Not bad. It really makes your weapons a lot stronger. It it worth a slot? Not sure but I found it a lot of fun on casual difficulty by pointing it at my ice tower.

Hammond - Good weapon. Don't overheat it as the cooldown time is LONG. Learn to use it in spurts. Decent damage.

Curtis Wizard - FUN! It wasn't really viable for me on the highest difficulty but man, this guy was super fun on casual. Charged up, his lightning does great damage and after killing the first guy, it'll go through to the guy behind.

Artillery - Good damage but it's really tricky finding the right range. I liked this tower. I think you can make this tower work on the highest difficulty if you are really good at multitasking. Too hectic for me to be using this tower.

Flak - Good...clears the skies fast but I wish the range was a little farther. Great choice though. It'll destroy any level with tough waves filled with air enemies.

Piper - Actually really good. At max, it ups the damage considerably, heals your towers, and scares and slows the weaker guys. This tower worked pretty well even on the highest difficulty.

Balloonist - Second to curtis in FUN! Not enough damage and too much micromanagement to use for the highest difficulty. It worked well on casual...It's crazy fun filling up the entire screens with balloons. Don't move them too high up as you won't be able to pop them. Keep a few on the top right corner. You can use them to hit blimps. Did I mention this tower is awesome fun?

Positioning : Where you put your towers is important. For example, I had my ice tower on the top since it wouldn't hit the high flyers at the bottom. But sometimes I moved the shredder up because I can angle down and go over the sheepriders to aim at the units behind.

Items: It's really up to you. Use items that complement your towers. If you can't handle big air waves, use the lightning item. Enemy towers giving you trouble? Use any of the ground items...beans, grapes, etc. I used 1 defense item(star, potion, or the instant heal) + 3 offensive items.

Equipment: Depends on your tower and what other towers you have complimenting it. I used only damage boosting equipment on the highest difficulty. I did use the heal and the armor on the lower difficulties. I actually preferred the armor. But, again...personal preferences.

WOW, I wrote way too much. But man, this game was fantastic. I had tons of fun with it. Here's hoping everyone enjoys it too.

10. johannaffendy

johannaffendy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Malaysia
    Not sure about you but it was real fun at first then it got repetitive, save for the upgrades. And look at the number of missions! I can't go through this 'til the end.

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Hahaha! The claw!

12. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #132 SumoSplash, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
    Repetitiveness is never an issue with me as long as the game play is solid, and I can grind until the cows come home as long as I am having fun. In other words, with a good game the 'grind' isn't even noticeable, as is the case with Shellrazer.

If you're having problems with getting through then put the game down for a while and come back to it. The beauty of these devices is being able to bounce around to other games.

13. blizeH

blizeH Member

May 19, 2011
    Some great tips in here, thanks guys - still getting my ass kicked by the last level though!

Ice
    Shredder
    Heavy gunner

Is probably my best success (thank you to the guy on the previous page!) but I still can't make it much beyond a quarter the way through :( Unsure what items to equip them with (have a bandage on each but not sure it helps much) or what items to use myself - go for healing, or all out for damage?

14. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    #134 Eoghann, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

Shotgun Eddy
    Arms Dealer(supporting Hammond)
    Hammond the Heavy Gunner

Those three (in that order) at max level are ruthless. I breezed through all the levels using only them. :)

Here's my setup. It helps to invest on high level perks too.

[​IMG]

15. blizeH

blizeH Member

May 19, 2011
    Thank you, I'll give that a try then! :D

What items would you recommend at the bottom? Healing ones? Or go all out for max damage?

16. JayuZmaN

JayuZmaN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2011
    A t l a n t i s
    finished the game on pretty tricky...
    top : ice tower
    mid : shotgun eddy
    bot : shredder

... ice tower is teh salvation... :D

17. Eoghann

May 29, 2012
    New York
    I usually go for the medkits and defense boosters. And an air strike if it gets too crazy.

18. blizeH

blizeH Member

May 19, 2011
    Thank you all very much guys - finally nailed it! Great shout on Shotgun Eddy... amazing how quickly he takes out the large air balloons and buildings which were the main things I struggled with! Completed it in the end with all three gunners still alive, and two still being on green health! :D

19. Eoghann

May 29, 2012
    New York
    Nice going!

Yeah, Eddy is brutal with airborne units. :)

Now go for the Hard as Shell playthrough. ;)

20. K-Dog

K-Dog Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Great game and really enjoyable. Very polished and satisfying to play - controls, graphics, variety of orcs, upgrades, enemies etc.

So cool being able to switch up the orcs and try new combinations. Flak, Ice and Shotgun at the moment - pretty beastly. I'll change every few levels and it's good fun / challenge rather than staying with the same ones.

Any sort of update would be great, look forward to seeing what the Dev conjures up next - whether new Orcs, more levels, upgrades, bosses, endless mode, other modes.

Quality fun all round!!!