Universal Shellrazer - (by Slick Entertainment Inc)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I bet it prevents you from playing your other purchases. LOL!

2. The Son of Anarchy

The Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    #62 The Son of Anarchy, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
    Oh yeah... app store description material right there...Oh hang on, ~looks a little closer~ that was me... :p

3. jcifrit

jcifrit Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2011
    graduate student/researcher
    Ontario, Canada
    This game is incredible, I'm so glad I went ahead and tried it out on release. Congrats to the devs on a fantastic release!

4. Indii

Indii Active Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Konstanz
    Yeah, that helped. Thanks! :)

5. johannaffendy

johannaffendy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Malaysia
    For a game without considerable buzz before it's release, Shellrazer is surprisingly good! Where else do you get to play as a war turtle gunning down goblins? :eek:

6. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    You forgot "with a mage on his back" :D

7. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Buying this due to all the positive reviews here

8. MetalGear

MetalGear Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Senior Software Developer
    İzmir
    Very polished and fun game. You wont regret it :)
    Probably GOTW for me...

9. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    A little help please!?

i keep getting the message "you can equip more than 1 weapon " but i don't know how to do it, how do i do it?

10. The Son of Anarchy

The Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    When you're on the map screen, tap your turtle, which will take you to the equip menu... then drag the new weapon from the left column onto its back.

11. beelzebubble

beelzebubble Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    It's pretty lame that buying this early means that I had to pay 3x what most other people are paying.

I like the game for the most part but stuff like this really shouldn't happen.

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I got it for 3 bucks and im not complaining. This game is just plain awesome and deserves it at that price point in my opinion.

13. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    thank you very much

14. beelzebubble

beelzebubble Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    If the game was still 3 bucks now I wouldn't be complaining. It doesn't bother you that a release screw up cost you more than everybody else is paying?

15. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    To be honest, this one didnt bother me at all... Total Recall on the other hand, got me pissed when I TOFTT'd and they dropped to $0.99 about 30 minutes later.

16. chespace

chespace Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Finally gave this game the time of day due to all the quality releases this week.

WOW. seriously amazing both in the art and gameplay dept.

I love that you can multi-touch all of your weapons to
    cause mass destruction. And the variety of weapons and scope of the game is staggering.

For .99 cents this game is a criminal steal. Sometimes I don't know how an app store developer is supposed to eat.

Buy this game now.

17. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    The AppStore is a place where, with all the clones of clones and ‘safe’ titles hitting the ‘shelves’, finding new, original, unique, and interesting games is getting harder and harder. However, they’re still being released, and can still be found. If you’re willing to look. With all of the great releases this week, one of the titles that almost got shoved under the rug, and missed out on is Slick Entertainment’s Shellrazer, a side-scrolling action shooter with great graphics, addictive gameplay and plenty of special power-ups and equipable items to keep you glued to your device for hours.

Shellrazer contains one gameplay mode, a single player campaign., but even though games like this generally include multiple game modes, once you dive in and take a look at the map, it becomes pretty clear that completing the game will take quite a few hours. There’s 50+ levels to make your way through, all found along a path that twists and winds through pastures, hills, mountains, jungles, beaches and more, and includes quite a few branching paths. Here, on the map, you’ll get your first real idea of how much time and effort has gone into making Shellrazer an extremely polished iOS title. The vibrant graphics and great animations stand out, making this one of my favorite level select screens I’ve ever seen. And it only gets better from here.

In Shellrazer, you’ll be guiding a War Turtle through swarm after swarm of goblins on the ground, in the air, and in well designed fortresses as he makes his way on his annual march across the land. You’ll start off with a machine gunner who sits on top of the War Turtle, and is able to blast through the enemies. As you progress across the map, you’ll come across many captured creatures that will be able to sit on-top of the turtle as well, and help him out on his journey.
    You’ll soon find out that there’s way more characters than you can equip, and that figuring out which three characters best fit your style of play is something you should figure out quickly. The faster you figure this out, the better, as the coins that you earn by destroying enemies, and making your way through the levels will be required to upgrade your characters, and spending the time to upgrade one character which after a couple of levels doesn’t end up working out can cost you big time.

Along with upgrading your characters, you’ll also be able to spend coins on power-ups and special stat add-ons. One time use items like ice blocks that slow down the enemies, and electric charges that take out all of the airborne enemies, as well as stat additions like 10% more damage against ground troops, and slow health regeneration are available, and cheap, in the shop. You’ll also pick up tons of them as you make your way through the levels, so purchasing them isn’t required. You’ll even be able to sell quite a few of them to help you upgrade your characters.

The controls take a little getting use to, as you can either tap the gunners to fire in one constant direction, or you can tap on a character and then drag your finger across the screen, with the gun following your finger. With up to 3 gunners available at once, figuring this out does take some practice, but once you get it, it flows very well, and definitely fits the game perfectly. I couldn’t picture any other control scheme that would work better.

Shellrazer is one of the best side-scrolling arcade titles I’ve played in a while. Priced at $0.99 for launch, it’s a steal, and anyone even remotely interested in the genre should pick it up. Being Universal really helps out as well, as do the 16 GameCenter achievements. However, having no leader boards, and only one gameplay mode kind of takes away from the replay value, but that’s partially redeemable by the 3 separate difficulty levels which could cause you to loose more than just a few hours on the game. Slick Entertainment is definitely a development team you’ll want to keep your eyes on. If Shellrazer is any sort of taste of what’s to come, iOS gamers are in for some awesome gaming.

LOVING this one! =oD
    I'm only about halfway through the game on the mid-difficulty... but damn is it challenging, and loads of fun. Like Chespace said... at $0.99, a freak'n steal!

18. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Excellent game!!!!!!!!

19. chespace

chespace Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Yes, basically what syntheticvoid just said. Amazing game.

The hand-drawn graphics are excellent. I this was released 15 years ago, during what was considered the height of 2D sprite work from the likes of SNK (Metal Slug) and Irem, this game would have blown many minds with its amazing attention to detail.

Just buy it already. The IAP is purely to speed up the game and buying cheats for the impatient. This game is very well balanced so no worries there.

20. 2hvy4grvty

2hvy4grvty Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    This game is simply awesome, polished, and all things great about iOS gaming. I actually feel bad that I bought it at .99. I'd love to pay the original 2.99 for it.

So to the developer: is there anyway I can donate to you guys?