Universal Shellrazer - (by Slick Entertainment Inc)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 25, 2012.

1. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    #41 chief78, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
    I don't even play these types of games and I gotta say it's pretty sweet! The Devs really spent the time to polish this one. I like the 2 aim modes, which was really needed, and I love the RPG element to upgrading. Lots of replayability here.

2. justln

justln Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    #42 justln, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
    Just finished all the stages on the 2nd difficulty Pretty Tricky, the last 2 stages were total chaos! I restarted many times and had to swap around equipment and weapons to beat the stages.

My setup:
    Tim of the North
    Oscar the War Piper
    Gunner Gunnarsun

Tim and Gunner equipped with increased attack items, War Piper with 2 armor items.

I'm surprised how good the ice cubes were against buildings and destroys everything else. I also didn't find out you can use your two left fingers to shoot 2 turrets until the middle of the game.
    IAP isn't required at all, it's just a shortcut. I had enough coins to fully upgrade 3 turrets and the others at level 4-5.

3. Tastyfish

Tastyfish Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    You can fire more than one weapon at a time. If you are using your right hand, you can control the first machine gun weapon and then your left can tap the two other weapons. You don't have to "drag" out the shot, unless you are changing angles, a tap will suffice.

4. NickWaanders

NickWaanders Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Hi all,

One of the devs here. A bit late to the party I believe, already 5 pages in! I just wanted to say hi, and say that we're glad you like the game. Thanks for supporting us!

I was trolling through the thread to see if there were any questions I could answer, but it seems most, if not all of them have been answered already.

One tip: I personally like to play with two hands, my right hand aiming, my left hand tapping the guns and the turtle to speed up. Sometimes this means that the iPad thinks I'm doing a multi-touch gesture, and it decides to switch me to another app, or close Shellrazer. You can disable this behaviour in General>Settings>Multitasking Gestures, if you like.

I'll be checking in from time to time to see if I can answer any other questions you might have!

Cheers,
    Nick

5. NickWaanders

NickWaanders Member

Mar 11, 2011
    We actually wanted to release at a dollar for the first little while just to say thanks to everybody who helped us promote the game. Unfortunately I forgot that New Zealand's Thursday (the release day) starts around mid-day Wednesday for us here in Vancouver BC. So I was a bit too late with setting the lower release price. Sorry New Zealand! I promise I will make it up to you by buying beers in all the bars when I travel to your beautiful country!!

6. NickWaanders

NickWaanders Member

Mar 11, 2011
    One person in our dev team tested on her iPod Touch 3rd gen extensively. She did tell me that the font was hard to read on the lower-resolution screens. We tried to make this better by increasing the font size, but the problem was that we were running out of screen real-estate. We'll see if we can improve it, thanks for the feedback!

7. justln

justln Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    The settings button should be placed at the top right corner, I kept pressing it when I use my left index and middle fingers to fire the turrets.

For me, it's impossible to fire all 3 towers simultaneously. I don't think I have fat fingers, I just wished the controls were tighter.

And nice job on the sound effect for quitting. I was both irritated and amused by it. :)

8. Chiskle

Chiskle Active Member

Jun 14, 2012
    I've been having a blast with that war turtle. I love the "love story" element. And it's good to know I can fire two guns at once.

So, I've been wondering about the bandit IAP. Is it necessary later in the game, or is it for luxury? I don't mind buying Gold Multipliers, it's a better deal than the gold bags, long term.

Thanks devs for joint the discussion. I love the game. It's deep and polished. Gonna stick around and just in time, just finished kingdom rush and was having withdrawals.

9. justln

justln Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    IAP isn't required at all, it's just a shortcut. I had enough coins to fully upgrade 3 turrets and the others at level 4-5.

10. NickWaanders

NickWaanders Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Hi! Like Justin said, no IAP is necessary. They are all shortcuts or 'legal cheats'. Purely because we're big gamers ourselves, and we hate games where you basically *have* to pay to progress (unless the game was free to begin with). :)

11. Indii

Indii Active Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Konstanz
    I guess this falls into the category "If something is great, why not just say so". This game is awesome from start to finish. On my phone, I am usually a very casual gamer. I play for a couple minutes of fun, not really for the challenge. But with this, I keep restarting the levels I failed until I worked out a winning combination. I keep listening to the awesome soundtrack. And I just keep on playing.
    The game mechanics are nothing really new, but very cleverly implemented. The theme is just genius. Man, I play a giant turtle with big guns (and orcs operating them) on my back! The graphics are awesome, the controls work fine, the shooting feels great and the IAPs are completely optional.
    I just have two minor complaints: First, I would love to have more different music tracks and second, if you play with two hands, it is a bit hard to aim towards the ground when going downhill, because the cross hairs won't go down far enough (due to the edge of the screen).
    But aside from that, thank you Slick Entertainment for the great game, I would be very much looking forward to more content.

12. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Game Impressions

This game is my GOTW for certain. It won't change your life, but it's just impeccably put together and a lot of fun to play. Me and the kids have all been gunning down goblins with a giant war turtle today :D

My only two gripes with it is 1) the unsorted mess of your inventory which make the load out screen a hot mess and 2) I'd prefer the option to lock to either of the two control schemes. Regardless of those quibbles, the game knows what it does and it does it very well.

13. MetalGear

MetalGear Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Senior Software Developer
    İzmir
    Long time forum lurker, 1st time poster here...

I had low expectations from Shellrazer ( I saw it today :) ). After seeing the art style I bought it and wow... It is really fun, it is a really good shooter with some rpg elements. I highly recommend it to anyone that likes shooters / rpgs.

14. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Well, welcome! Glad you decided to step out of the mud and into the forum here! Can't argue with having fun and learning a thing or two at the same time, right? Enjoy! :)

15. NickWaanders

NickWaanders Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Thanks for the kind words!
    The aiming reticule is indeed a bit big on the iPhone screen, but it has to be otherwise it will be hidden below your finger. However, that adds the problem that you can't hit things below a certain line. There is a solution though! you can actually rotate the reticle with your other finger! So you can rotate it sideways, and the game will remember that setting for the next time you run the game!
    If you're unsure about how to rotate your reticle, look in the settings menu, and press the Help button. Then scroll one image to the right, and it is shown in pictograms how to do it.

Hope that helps! Keep them turtle cannons blasting!

16. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York

I was just gonna write about the reticule when I read this. xD That was my only complaint, but I'm glad to know you guys were already aware of this from the start and implemented the rotate option! Awesome!

I almost slept through my alarm this morning from staying up so late playing with my war tortoise!

17. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    This game came out of no where and blew me away! Nice job devs, it rocks!

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Definitely GotW for me. Im sure Orc will understand my decision to choose Shellrazer over Orc, since i spent more time with Shellrazer over it. Orc definitely comes a close second though.

19. The Son of Anarchy

The Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    My GOTW also for sure... I've lost count of how many super good games I've picked up this week and this one wins hands down by far, simply because it's taken me by the throat and kept me from playing anything else... it's that good.

20. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I'd go as far as saying Shellrazer redefines the side-scrolling genre on the iOS. Not sure if I can say it's my GOTW yet, since this is the first release I've tried out of the 5 I downloaded yesterday. Amazing game though. Whoever designed the controls really went to work. Great art. Lots of customization/usable items. Ton of levels.

Make sure you get this for $0.99 during the launch sale currently going on.