Shazam or SoundHound?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by loves2spoon, Jul 18, 2010.

?

Which one is better?

1. Shazam

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. SoundHound

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    I can't decide which one to get. Do you prefer Shazam or SoundHound?

Thanks

2. saintsalive

saintsalive Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Playing pocket god! Oh, and other games.
    Pygmy Island
    Shazam is the original. I'd choose that.

3. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    SoundHound, formerly Midomi, is mainly for identifying songs that aren't actually playing and you are humming the tune. Shazam is top-notch for holding up to a song playing and identifying it. I'd go with Shazam.

4. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    i went with sound hound because at that time shazam was screwing with everyone going from free to charging.. was a confusing time..
    i have had zero problem with soundhound..

chris.

5. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
  6. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    weirdly at the moment i'm getting better results from soundhound

7. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I use both. They reference different databases. One might recognize a song that the other does not. In my experience, SoundHound is better than Shazam at recognizing non english songs.

8. err404

err404 Active Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Originally Shazam was better, but SoundHound has leap frogged it in every category. It's better at sampling from the radio and even works with live performances or just humming. It also provides a ton of information about the song including lyrics, videos, recommendations and even links to Pandora and iTunes.

9. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    I use both. There have been quit a bit of times Soundhound didn't recognize the song, but Shazam would, and sometimes Soundhound found it when Shazam didn't. I really only use this apps to find the name and artist of songs, then go to my MacBook and download it there. I'm very neutral when it comes to these 2 apps. Would be nice if there was an app that was able to check the databases both apps use and maybe use it's own, but right now, neither app is better than the other from my experiences.

10. sekazi

sekazi Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2009
    I originally had Shazam also and it was great but once they decided to start charging I told them to screw themselves and bought SoundHound. I never had many issues. Even with foreign music.

Here is my experience

Korean = Sucks. It does not reconize anything
    Japanese = Alright. It gets most but not all. Throw a lesser known artist/song at it and you will get nothing.
    Russian = My collection is not that big for it but it reconizes it good.
    French = Same as above but it has not clue what it is listening too.

I decided to throw some industrial and electronic at it and it pretty much nailed them all but it does confuse different versions.

I found it hilarious it confused Still Alive for the game Portals ending with Jonathan Coulton - Still Alive. They sound nothing alike besides the beat and lyrics.

I need to test Shazam on Korean because it is annoying it does not reconize any of it.

11. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Shazam never screwed their users. They actually care about their users because everyone who had the app before it went to 5 tags per month doesn't have this limitation.

12. Salacion

Salacion Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Neither. I prefer MusicID