Universal Shattered Pixel Dungeon (by Evan Debenham)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Brightsiderus, Aug 17, 2021.

1. dlehman

dlehman Active Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Canada
    Dumb question, but is the only way to figure out what potions do to drink/throw and hope you don’t die? (I think colours of potions reset each death so you have to then relearn all?)

2. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#42 Anotherkellydown, Aug 22, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    You can use a scroll of identify on them to reveal their effects, but those scrolls are rare in my experience. I came here wondering the same thing about the potion colors. I had a bunch of them when I died and it revealed their effects when looked through my gear (before starting a new game). Since that happens, it makes me think they do change every game. If they stay the same I’m all set, because I took a screenshot of every one of them before returning to the main menu. :D

I think it’s cool that the in-game guide (or Tome of Dungeon Mastery) reveals more tips the more you play. I’m only one away from having them all.

I finally made it to the fifth floor down, where I ran into a big black blob that ultimately killed me. I moved all over the place trying to lose him but no such luck. I also noticed what I think is a shop (tan brick building with a locked door) but died before finding the key. This game is very engaging. While I’m generally not fond of strategy games, SPD does things in a way that makes it fun for me. You’re given an infinite amount of time to plan since mobs only move when you do. Discovering how to cook raw meat, for example, was quite exhilarating. I also love that you can save, quit, and return anytime.

I still have so much to learn here but that’s a big part of the fun. I do wish I could handle heavier weapons, but now that I saw what all the potions do, I see one of them
    increases strength. I was wondering why my Str didn’t improve as I leveled up but now I know (and so do you if you cheated and looked past the spoiler tags). ;)

Here’s some screens from my last run:
    92F19CF4-8984-4F54-A013-986F996C1F95.png 41B0C53A-493B-4F33-99D7-D4EF82481538.png 38432321-14DC-4AC0-9BE2-2DAFD5C769CA.png
    That middle one made me think of Quantum Sheep :)

3. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    #43 stubbieoz, Aug 22, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    Here is a site that has a wealth of info about the game.

https://pixeldungeon.fandom.com/wiki/Shattered_Pixel_Dungeon

EDIT;
    If you really like the game and would like to also play on your pc then you can. :D

Install Bluestacks. It’s a program that will run Android games on pc…. all legit.

As Shattered Pixel Dungeon is a free to play game on Android you can then download and install the app and play fullscreen on your big 27 inch monitor (or whatever).

It actually looks quite good on a larger screen and has mouse and keyboard controls (can be fully played just using the mouse).
    I am pleasantly surprised how well it does actually play on a pc.

You can even donate to the solo developer if you feel inclined. :cool:

Further Edit;
    The only thing I haven’t been able to work out on the pc is how to zoom in and out. If anyone knows the answer then please share.

4. gvegas66

gvegas66 Active Member

Jan 11, 2017
    The ‘+’ and ‘-‘ keys should zoom out. There is a key bindings menu in settings as well.

5. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Thanks. :)
    Allocated the keys for zooming.
    I’m new to BlueStacks so I didn’t realise how customisable it actually is.

Just another note about the BlueStacks version. There appears to be no icon (like in the iOS version) to give your character a name, but perhaps that is an Android thing?

6. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    #46 Ijipop, Aug 23, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    Yes they change everytime.
    During the first couple of floors I just use them as soon as I get them, potions and scroll, that way they are identified for the rest of my run. Usually nothing THAT bad happens.
    And for the black goo it’s the first boss.
    Just get away when he starts pumping up and he shall come back to normal.

I went down to floor 15 with the rogue and the boss just smashed me…
    Awesome game

ps : I don’t know if it’s a good strategy but it works for me. I keep all my upgrade scrolls until I find a good tier 3 weapon and then boost it. I usually can one shot or two shots most of the enemies

houseofg, WTK, AltsKev and 1 other person like this.
  7. WTK

WTK New Member

Aug 18, 2021
    Male
    Great game. Finally a true roguelike with some pretty clever mehanics.

Regarding potions: if I try potions I usually drink them when I am near water (just in case I start to burn) or in a room with no floor because if I drink a levitation potion I can float to whatever I see (a chest or an item).

Very solid game. Kudos. Lots of fun.

Ijipop and AltsKev like this.
  8. elcrazy

elcrazy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Ahh I so want to try this but I feel as though it will be way too much for me. Seems too in-depth possibly for my liking these days. But all the praise is really making me want to dive in. And it’s fully premium. What to do, what to do lol

9. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    If you have a pc then put it on there for free to see what you think.

10. subgenius

subgenius Well-Known Member

May 30, 2014
    Wow, very, VERY fun game. This takes me back to countless hours playing Nethack. Tons to discover, and I'm curious just how deep the game is once you advance further into it.

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Do it buddy. I had no intentions of picking this up due to limited resources (yes, Lebanon will never let up with its problems) and opting to pick up Behind the Frame later today, but upon finding out BtF is an hour long max, and me needing something to play A LOT when there’s no electricity (Did I mention Lebanon already?) with not much battery consumption…I picked this up. I couldn’t be happier. Yes, a lot of trial and error, a lot of discovery, a lot of training and learning, but holy crap, I can’t even begin to describe the sense of elation one gets from descending a single floor. So rewarding!

12. Anotherkellydown

A few tips:

• Move one step at a time, especially when shadows are around. You want to notice enemies and traps before it’s too late to make the first move.

• Make sure your level matches or exceeds the current floor level. It’s best to zoom out and search all undiscovered areas of the map.

• Ration your rations. Only eat if you know danger is ahead and/or you’re low or getting low on health (unless there’s food nearby). You can survive a while hungry, only losing one point of health at certain intervals.

• Always attack snakes (and enemies with a “zzz” or “!” over their head) with your wand or ranged attacks. Snakes are hard to hit with melee attacks.

• Use potions and scrolls early on to identify them for the rest of the run (Someone above mentioned using potions and scrolls when near water or when a treasure is hidden behind traps in case you catch fire or use a potion of levitation).

• Remember to use your upgrade point as soon as you level up.

Ijipop, downgrad3r and houseofg like this.
  13. downgrad3r

downgrad3r Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2016
    First area play through with the rogue. I only watched part 1 to avoid spoilers. Great way to learn whether you'd really enjoy the title and about its mechanics. This guy really understands the systems and explains things well.
    ---

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  14. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Great stuff, thanks. Yeah I already took advantage of the benefit of being near water when drinking a fire potion!

How often are people using the magnifying glass tool to search around them?? I mean, you could do that like every other step. I'm worried I'll get OCD with it since I hate missing secret doors and such!

15. Anotherkellydown

I’m glad it helped! :)

I use it in rooms that look like they could/should attach to an adjacent room, or on dead ends. Also on anything I don’t know what it will do, like plants, traps, etc.

houseofg likes this.
  16. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Potion Test Tip:
    1. Until you’ve discovered the fire, float and invisibility potions, do not test unidentified potions found on a level until you reach the end of a that level. These potions allow you to access rooms: fire to throw at barricaded room entrances, float to access trapped treasure room and invisibility to access piranha pool treasure room.

2. until you’ve identified fire potion, ant there are no barricaded rooms on the current level, only test unidentified potions found on while standing in water and never test while standing in vegetation..

17. LukeT

LukeT Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2012
    How do you equip itens in the bar below for fast use?

18. AltsKev

AltsKev Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Male
    Developer
    stay 2 second on the empty space, inventory ll open and select your item

19. subgenius

subgenius Well-Known Member

May 30, 2014
    Just stopping back in to say the game is absolutely fantastic and has sucked away far too many hours from me already. Gotten to the point where I can finish runs with some consistency (have done warrior, mage and huntress so far) and am loving the full experience. Well done.

20. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Envious of those who’ve completed runs, don’t have nearly as much time to play as I’d like. Finally finished level 20 with Huntress which felt like an accomplishment after numerous fails. Have to say, this is by far, my favorite RL on iOS.