Universal Shark Eaters: Rise of the Dolphins (by Kat McNally)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 8, 2014.

1. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    You guys are one of the best devs around in a while. I've been into iGaming since the appstore first opened and back then all devs were very passionate about their projects. The titles were created with love and we can tell, playing those games again are almost as nostalgic as playing Genesis games when I grew up. And you know what, this title brings me that warm feeling back, only several titles manage to do that this past year. More and more freemium / lazy ports are good distractions but they don't have soul.

The fact that you're active here is fantastic too. Helps us understand how hard it is to reach this point (I've only worked on a game once in 2010 and that ended in a disaster, rather embarassed with it).

However, I do like to offer some inisights: Being active here can be a two-sided sword as some members can be very demanding. Fortunately your game is well received by everyone!

Also, as much as I'm happy to receive all those extra features you mentioned (especially pumped about prehistoric sea creatures) without paying more, I'm worried about how it affects you in the long term. Realistically, small indie devs often suffer financially and only a few can turn into Angry Birds. Hope it works out for you, I really do, but if not, please put them as IAPs or sequel game as I much rather paying more to see you guys keep developing games :)

2. Yeah, I was surprised I won this battle. I uploaded a video before that of them finishing me off in about 30 seconds (deleted it now -- the recording was bad). Those Blues seem to bite down and never let go.

Ah ok. That explains it. Does the same mechanic work after you get bitten? I can't tell for sure, but sometimes it feels almost like a bite can stun him briefly.

3. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

DolphinFlipJumpSpin Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2014
    Director of Innovative Biomedical Engineering, The
    #103 DolphinFlipJumpSpin, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    That's correct, you cannot boost while biting or bitten. There are actually 16 joint marks (positioned like actual teeth) during the bite or bitten physics- so extreme hydro-drag during a boost could make things less elegant. These bite joints are a whole story by themselves- most physics engines (physx, havoc) didn't have the precise mathematical characteristics we needed so we made a very cool custom way of doing joints (fixed joints) that didn't make the integrator unstable and allows for very small translational delta with solid restorative behavior.

4. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    #104 DolphinFlipJumpSpin, Oct 10, 2014
    This is a lucid and well thought out reflection of things. I want to address some specifict points later. But this sentiment is a general representation of most industries today. The foundations are laid by pure love- into your product. Then the establishment takes over. Sometimes its good and elevates the art - sometimes it lowers it. Its a mixed bag. I had a life changing experience with these magnificent creatures. They can bring you to smiles or tears in a heartbeat. What I wanted to do is let anyone who plays I am Dolphin to feel even a fraction of that majesty. To feel that love. High burden. requires thousands of hours. Requires loving your product and caring about your customer. requires support from people like you. It requires a lot of perseverance and heart in a very noisy world.

5. And Promit said some of the proceeds are going to help dolphins get back into the ocean? You guys are like saints. ;)

6. KatAttack1190

KatAttack1190 Active Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Lead Artist and CCO, Max and Haley LLC
    USA
    Flattery will get you everywhere :) but seriously, wow. Thank you. I'm so glad that you (and really, this whole thread) just get how much we put into this game.

There was definitely debate about that, but in the end, we all agreed that we want to put our players first. Yes, of course we want to make money, but we want to do so by reaching as many people as possible with our game, not just leeching off our fanbase. And once you have the game, we want to keep giving you more and more to play with, because that's how games should be.

Ha ha I wouldn't say saints ;) But we do have a fund set up at the National Aquarium (in memory of Sue Hunter, a major consultant on the game). We will be giving a portion of our profits to their conservation efforts, which includes the planned sanctuary for their current dolphins.

7. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Ok so I've have some time to play this game & really get into it. It's amazing. Watching the twists & turns as I move my finger around is fantastic. In fact it's flawless. Controls are spot on. Graphically its gorgeous. Gameplay wise I am having a blast. I'm not very good yet but have had no moment where I was discouraged. I knew I had to watch & learn to be able to win. This creates a sort of "puzzle" aspect if you will. As you progress you need to learn what will and most importantly what won't work. It's clear these developers did a lot of research into aquatic life as they created this game. It's also clear they care about this game & the gamers experience. We need more developers like this. This is why I love iPad games. Because of developers like this. All I can say is "come on in, the water is great".

8. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Did you guys get featured on any of the app stores?

9. Doesn't look like it, which is a crime. Maybe they'll feature it next week? I think I've seen that happen a few times. A bunch of freemium clones got featured, but not this? :/

10. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    Well, we were also reviewed and approved on Wednesday. The Editorial feature spots are determined sometimes months in advance (they have a special dev relations for bigger players), and most of the features this week had approval for a much longer time.

Lets be hopeful for next week ! :)

The more quality comments, and genuine positive energy about "I Am Dolphin" that goes out there will most surely make it a hit so keep the good questions coming.

11. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    #111 famousringo, Oct 10, 2014
    Internet high five!

You're exactly right about FPS. 30 FPS is for more beautiful marketing screenshots (and publishers still feel the need to embellish "bullshots"), 60 FPS makes for more beautiful animation and, crucially, a more responsive game.

Baffling how many gaming enthusiasts fall for the idea that better screenshots are more important for a game than how the game actually feels.

And I second dnk's point about charging for new content. Nothing wrong with it, as long as the content is worth it.

12. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Finally got my chance just now to open and play this game. What a marvel to behold. The dolphin is filled with so much personality it's love at first sight. The swimming mechanics as I play through about several dolphin levels are simply amazing. It feels like I'm the dolphin in the water world. It's interesting studying the way different fish approach and attack the dolphin. The graphics are also top notch. When I complete a level it's so joyful to see my dolphin celebrate at the end! I just defeated the hammerhead shark which made me feel good:)
    I look forward to an update to facilitate left handed people. I'd prefer to trace directions on screen with my left index and boost with my right. Glad I bought this game. I highly recommend this diamond

13. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    Way to win

This is precisely how we intended the experience. Each fish and shark has a very unique artificial intelligence that you indeed have to figure it. Its far more multi-variable and non-linear than what most people do in games. Furthermore, the ai is intimately connected to the dynamics. A more maneuverable shark will have a different way of fighting etc. But we want it to be "felt" not "thought" out. You just kinda know what it is going to do, anticipate, and pounce or evade. This is because there are hundreds of subtle cues in the motion/dynamics of the fish and sharks. You kinda know when its just about to dart away, or not dart away, because of the dynamics.

Its all about feeling the experience.

You will love the updates I have planned. Lots of different, and newer, creatures that will employ different techniques. I have a whole set of "inter-intelligence" protocols that are done but didn't make the launch. There, the fish "coordinate" with each other far more intelligently, and there are "leader" fish, giving commands, and "follower fish" that take the orders. Part of the level will be to figure out which is which so you can attack a huge swarm by taking out the "leaders". Or you can slowly pick off the minions until the leader is defenseless.

14. spooky23

spooky23 Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2011
    This appears to be more than just a game.

15. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    Were u able to play?

16. KatAttack1190

Oct 9, 2014
    USA
    I've always loved this idea :) It's really fun in practice.

17. KatAttack1190

Oct 9, 2014
    USA
    So happy to hear you're enjoying the game! :D How far have you gotten?

18. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Right now I'm having a delightfully difficult time trying to beat the blacktip,dogfish level. I've played about thirty times in a row and no luck. Once I was so close to finishing them off but the remaining shark got me:) must say I'm getting better at the controls. That level seems to be quite tough lol
    Have you thought of adding controller compatibility and iCade? Must say again as I submerse myself the more amazed I become. A lot of work and dedication went into this app and I'll definitely be voting this for game of the week. Just have to figure out those pesky blacktip and dogfish!!!

19. One of the things that's keeping me coming back to this game even at 400 pearls is that I don't think you really ever beat the game. Even when I think I've mastered it and taken down a tough enemy, my next battle against the same enemy has a very different outcome. The red cards offer enough challenge that I never get that feeling "ok I beat that enemy, so I never have to fight him again."

20. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    #120 DolphinFlipJumpSpin, Oct 10, 2014
    what boggles my mind are Game Trailers.- I always want the actual experience to be the high point