Universal Shark Eaters: Rise of the Dolphins (by Kat McNally)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 8, 2014.

1. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

DolphinFlipJumpSpin Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2014
    Director of Innovative Biomedical Engineering, The
    Enjoy! And please do post your thoughts after youve felt the magic :)

2. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    That's odd cause I always steer with my left hand. Most racing games have the default steering on the left. Star horizon was the same its default steering was on the right and I had to use the lefty setting but I'm not a lefty. Oh well just odd maybe your tester grew up in the early days of gaming when they didn't make concessions for left handed people. Sorry just waffling and would appreciate a reversal of the controls. Thanks. Great game by the way.

3. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    I promise it will be in the first update < 30 days. I may just do a quick update for only that but youll see it one way or another very soon.

4. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Still getting used to the controls on this. I ate a few smaller fish OK (cod, mackerel), but the king nipped me dead in a few seconds without me barely getting a chance! I guess I have a lot to learn.

Enjoying the look and feel so far, however, so I'll keep playing.

One minor suggestion: Would you be willing to offer an option to turn off vibrate?

5. Promit

Promit Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Yeah - we'll put it in with the lefty setting and a few other things. App store approval times are running really long right now, like two weeks, so we'll get it out as soon as we can.

Alright, so we wanted to show you guys something very special we have in the lab. This is the game, but controlled by Kinect instead of touch screen. These are the kinds of things the Kata Engine lets us do. What's really cool about this is, you get full 3D direction control. We don't need a "Depth AI" like we use on the touch screen to handle it, and instead you get total freedom about where to go. It's really fun to control, probably the best interface we've ever tried. (We have tested PS Move, Wii, Leap Motion, you name it.) Maybe at some future point we'll be able to make it public.

6. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    i'm doing pretty good, unlocked the first dolphin, i'm not sure i really grasp how the controls work though, I'm kind of just swiping in all directions then darting...

can someone explain how they are meant to work? Feeling a little confused!

7. Wow that's amazing. Can you show us how you take down a shark on there? :)

8. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    #88 DolphinFlipJumpSpin, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    control

1. If you're fighting a shark, don't go after fish. You wont be able to catch them, and you're not supposed to in the shark battle levels.

2. Don't think about it - let it flow. You will gain a hypnotic kind of mastery at some point - that is the "motor connection" we talk about and its magical. It sounds like you're too harsh with the control. Find a fish or shark you want, then gently swipe or move your finger to move the dolphin there. Once its aligned, then hit boost to pounce on him. Let the control flow smoothly.

Here is a good example we've posted before:

9. KatAttack1190

KatAttack1190 Active Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Lead Artist and CCO, Max and Haley LLC
    USA
    Unfortunately, there's no boost in this version, so any shark would be pretty much unbeatable. We're working on adding that in.

10. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I've been able to eat little sharks and the hammerhead already!

11. bigjack66

Aug 5, 2013
    You're lucky I'm struggling with minor fish. I just can't get the hang of it. Not stopping though!

12. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    Impressive! How do you feel overall ?

13. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    This sounds pretty cool. I'll be picking this up soon.

Always loved Ecco the dolphin, even though the dreamcast version gave me severe motion sickness when I played it.

14. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013

Thanks! Great explanation. I was able to take out a tiger and hammerhead shark with the first Dolphin, must have been more luck than anything! The final bite on the hammerhead was magical, bit him as I leapt out of the water into the sunset with a big ole shark in my mouth! [emoji106]

15. KatAttack1190

KatAttack1190 Active Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Lead Artist and CCO, Max and Haley LLC
    USA
    This is amazing! The blue is the one shark I could never beat. Too fast for me.

16. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    So this is because I have to transition the aerodynamic and hydrodynamic drags smoothly- and he would not be braced if he suddenly contracted hard to boost forwArd. Most positions he will do this but a few are too rough so I give him a little "rest". I may even it out by not allowing bites but I like the danger of jumping bAck in as a gameplay element.

17. bigjack66

Aug 5, 2013
    Thanks, that explains that.

18. Promit

Promit Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    #98 Promit, Oct 10, 2014
    Did you guys see the ridiculous article about how Assassin's Creed doesn't want to be in 60 fps? http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/viva-la-resoluci-n-assassin-s-creed-dev-thinks-industry-is-dropping-60-fps-standard-1268241
    Ugh. Talk about marketing spin.

I spent so many weekends and evenings optimizing and tweaking and tuning the shaders and render pipeline for our game to be absolutely perfect so that we could run 60 fps retina everywhere. And you know what? It doesn't look as incredible as it could have in screenshots because of it. I had to drop a lot of visual features we could've had, even though they would've made for beautiful screenshots, so that the actual gaming experience would have that beautiful fluidity.

The iPhone 4S and iPod5 in particular were ICU patients, and I had to pull out all the stops for those two. You guys probably aren't the crowd with older phones, but I wanted to share the dolphin's motion with as many people as we possibly could. On some of the high level battles with those devices, the physics updates are hitting 15.5 ms per frame. It's that tight.

I'm so tired of developers who think that games are movies interrupted by mandatory button presses.

19. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Loving the game and 60fps is awesome, but!!

Can you optimise so the game looks better on iPad Air? It'd be a shame if we must suffer due to the lowest common denominator which is iPhone 4S / iPod 5. Maybe include a toggle or let the game detect what device it's running on as I believe iPad Air could handle so much more than a 4S.

20. Promit

Promit Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    #100 Promit, Oct 10, 2014
    I didn't mean to give the impression that the graphics are the same across the board. There's a number of improvements on higher spec devices, though many are quite subtle. The most obvious is that I boost the creature counts significantly on higher devices. (6 on 4S, 20 on Air.) A more subtle example: the Air has a better look and feel with a very smooth background and better textures, whereas many of the other devices suffer gradient banding. The Air specifically is not yet maxed out (the other iPads are) and I have plans to add some visual candy to it. Caustics, splashing, etc.

Hitting retina 60 was the priority, but I worked AAA/console before this, and at NVIDIA too. I have some tricks in the bag :)