Universal Shark Eaters: Rise of the Dolphins (by Kat McNally)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 8, 2014.

1. I love those jump-catches. I had a good one tonight, but my recording was bugging out so I didn't get video of it. :(

2. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

DolphinFlipJumpSpin Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2014
    Director of Innovative Biomedical Engineering, The
    They are rare and very hard to do- I intended for it to happen (the drag model has to transition from hydro to aero dynamic so it's tricky) but the results- if u time it just right, can be spectacular.

3. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    #43 bigjack66, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    None! I keep losing them! Just need to get better I suppose.
    I see what I was doing wrong, I was holding the boost like an accelerator, instead of tapping quickly to go faster. Hopefully this'll help! The speed of these creatures is amazing.

4. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    Yes that would be very difficult to control ;). Try not boosting at all to get used to his movement only (you wont catch any fish) then when its aligned give it a boost. Once u nail
    The control youll feel "jacked"'into the dolphin. Then the fun really starts. When u get good enough and fight the more intelligent creatures (after 100 pearls or so) the details and subtlety will come out.

5. Infinite Zero

Infinite Zero Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Any chance we can get a left-handed control option? I'm a lefty and my right hand lacks the finesse needed for the controls.

6. Btw, I don't know if this is intentional, but when I drop back into the water, the boost button doesn't work unless I first move regularly. So if I land right by other fish, I can't just quickly boost to get away. It seems to happen even if I just poke my nose out of the water.

7. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    yes absolutely. Added for first update. Did u play it by any chance?

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    This game... Oh my... Unbelievable. Seriously. I had YouTube issues last night so I just went by the app description and bought it totally blind to what the gameplay would be like. I went to work this morning and hours later I could finally fire this thing up. My jaw dropped. I still can't believe this is a real thing. Please, for the love of all things you hold near and dear to your heart, if you're just barely interested in this, do yourself a favor and don't check out any gameplay videos. It's crazy how much of a joke (well, it IS supposed to be) this makes Goat Simulator look like.

9. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    The magic

We will continue the magic with updates. This, in my opinion, only scratches the surface of what is actively in the works and planned very soon. Flying fish, swordfish, jumping out of the water to catch fish, squid, new creatures, prehistoric creatures.

The possibilities are endless with our custom engine.

And never, ever, iAP. That first price of 2.99 gives you all updates, forever. That, I Promise. Its a fair price to let you experience the love I put into this.

10. spooky23

spooky23 Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2011
    This looks interesting.

11. Whoa...you didn't tell me about the squids and prehistoric creatures. (Have you considered a narwhal as a playable character? ;) )

Are you guys able to keep the size small with all the updates? It's nice not having to worry about the space it's taking up.

12. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    Just play it ;) You'll see.:D:D:D

13. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Serious question -- Am I still going to enjoy this on the small-screen iPhone 5S or does it really play better on the larger-screen iPad? I have access to both, but the iPad is on a family account, and I prefer to play on iPhone whenever possible.

14. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    #54 DolphinFlipJumpSpin, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    platforms

You absolutely will enjoy it on any platform it supports. iPhone4s or above, iPad2 or above, or iPod 5 or above.

I spent a lot of time refining every grain of detail to make the control, feel, spacing absolutely perfect to my view/playing on every device. I put my 100% so as to leave nothing to chance.

I took into consideration the derivative of your swipe based upon screen size, but also actual distance which is different (how much your thumb moves vs. finger). The gain is compressed at the high end to avoid "over control" and similarly adjusted to avoid "Under control". The camera tracking is adjusted to ensure maximum entropy for movement-enjoyment. The Field of view of the camera is adjusted as well (thanks to Promit who has a very good eye for these things).

I stand by every device, every experience. They are all 60 fps. No one is superior, but they are qualitatively a little different.

15. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Well, thank you for the swift response! Seeing a responsive developer who really cares for their product and promises updates without extra IAP makes this seem like a game worth trying.

16. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    You should make an actual adventure game with this engine. Pretty interesting stuff.

17. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    other uses

Did you get a chance to download/play ?

18. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Not yet! Will do later today. :)

19. I finally took down the two blues (red card). That was incredibly satisfying, as I find them to be one of the meanest enemies.

http://youtu.be/dXzLnGpHjHE

20. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    This makes me smile. :) I can't wait to see what the future holds for I Am Dolphin, but the truth is...even if you didn't add a single thing to the game, $2.99 still feels very, very cheap for what you're getting. I can honestly agree with you (and quote the late, great Ronnie James Dio) and can't find a better way to describe it: "Magic". Such a beautiful, simple game that you instantly fall in love with...and yep, it's quite obvious a lot of love was put into this.