Universal Shark Eaters: Rise of the Dolphins (by Kat McNally)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Promit

Promit Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    We posted this once before in another thread, but maybe some of you missed it. We studied the Blacktip sharks at the Aquarium to build the core shark motions, and one of the things that caught us off guard was how fast they can accelerate. When we first saw the footage, I thought it was a playback glitch. It's like they just go into fast forward.

Also for you social networking types, we have Facebook and Twitter pages:
    https://www.facebook.com/iamdolphingame
    https://twitter.com/IamDolphinGame

2. nuno2k

nuno2k Active Member

Apr 12, 2012
    portugal
    i will buy the game :)

i love this type of game like iquarium HD

3. Testing out recording video. Here's a battle against a hammerhead and two dogfish, which I lost miserably. But it's still beautiful. :)

http://youtu.be/yjA9yNzzkwQ

4. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

DolphinFlipJumpSpin Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2014
    Director of Innovative Biomedical Engineering, The
    Battle style - the joust. Its a good technique - but the multiple sharks (and most sharks) will be able to counter the speed, out maneuver, and twirl around you. This works early on. Latter battles will be much tougher to win with a joust-style.

5. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Wow! Even freakier than the acceleration is how they just keep gliding afterward. It's like they're moving through air.

6. It's true. I do have a tendency to joust a lot. Even against these three little Mahi Mahi. I won the battle, but it was an embarrassingly close one. Also, one of them swam right into my mouth. :p

http://youtu.be/SPfNPcq4koQ

7. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    WOW - This looks amazing. I am avid scuba diver & have a few huge reef tanks so this looks to combine my 2 hobbies. The gameplay video is outrageous. I am so excited to see such a great quality game. It looks beautiful.

8. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    battle styles

Ooh, you almost lost this one. Example of a good on-par battle. So this type of technique against multiple fish requires patience - the joust is actually fairly inaccurate - and you have to get lucky. I think their swarm on you was lucky in that you escaped.

If you come under them, boost, then turn upwards at last instant, you'll nail them. Its a much higher-precision maneuver - much harder - but they wont be able to avoid. Their dead-on avoidance system is fairly good.

It was actually much harder but I tuned it down because it was basically 1-win in 25 battles. Required true skill but then what fun is that ;) if its so hard.

9. I think the truly hardcore will have quite enough challenge with
    Kthulu
    . ;)

10. Promit

Promit Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    #30 Promit, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    AppUnwrapper's posts got me kind of excited, so I figured I'd film a little gameplay video for you guys. I was all set to show you how to take care of a couple hard mode sharks. But it got ruined!! :mad: I don't have time to make a new one right now, so here it is anyway. Maybe we can make it work with some creative editing.

Er...wait. What I mean is: This Guy just wanted to film a gameplay video of I Am Dolphin. You won't believe what happens next! Yeah, that's it.

11. Lol that's probably what my video would look like if I used a camera...just with my cat.

12. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    #32 DolphinFlipJumpSpin, Oct 9, 2014
    Mako strategy

So this is an example of a near perfect strategy against the Mako. The Mako will move toward you at a high velocity, but not with a "spurt" - so you have to engage in a very short "dance with it". Jousting doesn't work - and here the player avoids the strategy. You have to wait - tease a little - and then let him come. But the "dance" is very short. Unlike the battle with Kthulu where you really have to turn and "judo" with him, avoiding and attacking in close proximity - the window of opportunity for the Mako is short. So you have to be ready, and then do a quick turn-in kill.

What is most impressive are the evasive maneuvers you employ towards the end. He would have gotten 99.9% of players on those last attacks that you avoided. It "looks" simple but its lightening fast reaction times.

Your final kill shot is perfect short turn-in maneuver. Final kill-bites like that after a skilled battle are deeply satisfying :)

13. He is fun to battle. I get more into the dance with him than other sharks, since I can take more hits. I'm less scared of dying, so I don't dart around as much.

14. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Haha holy cow, this actually looks pretty damn good

15. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Come on already. 11pm why you taking so long to come. I need this game now!!

Love having an active dev here as well. Really seems to care about the game & is providing great feedback & info.

16. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Wow looks like people have better control of this than me!

17. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    How many pearls do you have?

18. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    #39 DolphinFlipJumpSpin, Oct 9, 2014
    7:30 absolutely magnificent