iPad Shapez for iPhone and iPod Touch is out.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by orbian, May 20, 2009.

1. orbian

orbian Member

May 20, 2009
    #1 orbian, May 20, 2009
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
  2. scarboroughkid

scarboroughkid Active Member

May 17, 2009
    Student
    Taken:EJFARMA7KAEW

Thanks!

3. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    It literally takes about 4 minutes to get to Home and then Redeem :( Argh I hate my iTunes.

All gone :(

4. Kevd

Kevd Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Dev,

You might have more luck getting reviews if you offer codes through PM, so that lurkers don't snag them all. Typically, you will get a better response this way. Would have liked the chance to try this out.

5. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    The game concept is interesting. I may purchase it later and write then a feedback here.

6. orbian

orbian Member

May 20, 2009
    If the promo codes are all taken, PM me and I will get you one.

-Bob

7. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    #7 GatorDeb, May 20, 2009
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
    Thanks for the code, trying it out :D

Any chance of adding an untimed mode? :)

8. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    This does look interesting. I'll probably pick this up later.

9. "...before time runs out." sigh oh sigh.

10. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Yeah, I don't like the timer... I get about 2 shapes in before I run out of time.

11. snoderlye

snoderlye Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Female
    WV
    This looks interesting. I love the vivid colors. Truth be told though I dislike timed games. I play to relax so I avoid games that are timed. So if it had a Casual mode of play it would be more interesting to me.

12. One of the best things ever was when Spin got free play mode take your time spinning those 3D shapes into their holes. Still waiting till the day I die for Mouse About to get untimed mode since it has infinite random levels (or so I read).

13. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Sounds like a great way for people to secure codes and NEVER use them, but instead save them to trade with some other unknown random person that may or may not write a review.

There is no best practice here. Dumping codes in a single post is a legit way of getting people to try a game. And it doesn't waste the developer's time and risk the code expiring while it sits in someone's "to trade" file.

14. orbian

orbian Member

May 20, 2009
    Yeah the timer was added later in development. Originally the only game over situation would be running out of real estate. Removing the timer is an option I can add or adding an easy mode which basically slows the timer down. From what I have seen once people get used to the timer is that the first 4 levels tend to be constrained by the timer but they can get blown through pretty quickly while the later levels are real estate bound. There is a new update in the works (of course Apple takes a week or so after that to approve it).

Thanks for the input.

-Bob

15. orbian

orbian Member

May 20, 2009
    Sounds like the timer needs a on/off switch. Although the "out of real estate" situation is always a possiblity but at least you can take your time to plan your moves.

Thanks for the input.

-Bob

16. LordGek

LordGek Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Just adding in my two cents, I often find the timer, while I appreciate the tension it brings to a puzzler, is one of the cheaper gimmicks. Something that often can work just about as well is the concept of limited moves. All sorts of tension but, at the same time, a person can take as long as they want to make an individual move. The only recent example of this that comes to mind would be what exists in iBrillity. What they did was a player is allowed an unlimited amount of PRODUCTIVE moves, but only 10 "misses" (a move that does not score minimum amount of same grouped pieces for elimination). In later levels they upped the tension by not only adding in more hazard pieces, but the required number of same type grouped tiles went up as well so that a player was more likely to be FORCED to make a few unproductive moves just to setup a scoring opportunity.

17. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    The game concept is great but I agree that a mode without time would be more than welcome. I'll wait the update before reviewing it at iTunes.

18. LordGek

LordGek Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    After playing the lite version I finally succumbed!

I really like the scoring and, even though timed, I appreciate how the timer bar and progress bar are in no way linked since I think THAT mechanic illegitimizes so many puzzlers that then make getting a high score more about working the timer on some early level than really trying to progress through the harder levels.

All this being said, I too would really love it if you at least added an untimed mode with the tension building via other mechanics such as limited moves or time bombs (pieces that MUST be cleared within a finite number of turns, like in Trism or Bejeweled Twist).

19. PhagoCychotic

PhagoCychotic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Add me to the list of potential customers who would shell out the money for untimed mode.

20. orbian

orbian Member

May 20, 2009