iPhone Shadowrun Returns - (by Harebrained Schemes LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    #101 Aventador, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
    So now I could possibly write wall of text and present you all with mixed feelings about game, but my overall verdict leans to negative side unfortunately.
    I haven't played Shadowrun Returns on PC , but I did follow Kickstarter very close , read their blogs from beginning of development and read most of reviews for PC version.
    This port is , well, not so good, actually only good things that keep it above average are story and artwork.First of , there are weird glitches with items and lots of "smaller bugs" all around ( like non-explored places that sometimes don't light up when you get to them, even though they did before, characters passing trough solid objects) ,UI isn't all that responsive ( sometimes it won't load 3d preview of character with equipment), there is no background soundtrack ( until they fix that , it's hard to get immersed into Shadowrun beautiful world without any sounds except weapon fire ).Game didn't crash on me yet, but 2 times loading bar stopped and I had to restart it.Then, there is that not-so-good checkpoint save system and text that overlaps from multiple text boxes when examining more close by objects ( as every text box stays opened for quite some time).Doesn't look retina to me, here is a screenshot from game ( was rain really affecting FPS count that much ?? ):

Attached Files:

2. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Cause the screen is way too small.

3. Reignmaker

Reignmaker Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Thank you for saving me $10. I asked the devs if it was retina, and I figured I got my answer when they didn't respond.

Who seriously charges $10 for an "iPad Only" experience that doesn't take advantage of a retina display that's been out for well over a year? Those bugs also sound inexcusable. Kind of sucks that TA don't call those out in its playthrough video. If they mail in another 4.5/5 star review, I don't know if I can trust them anymore.

Developers really need to look at how Supergiant Games handled its iOS port of Bastion. Polished, a great value ($5), and an absolutely beautiful user experience. So disappointing other companies can't actually execute on these promising ideas.

4. HBS_Jeff

HBS_Jeff Active Member

Sep 26, 2013
    A brief message from an HBS Dev.

Hello Touch Arcade!

I would like to clear up some misconceptions, and answer some questions while I am at it!

There is Retina support for iPad 3 and iPad 4!
    The bug concerning no ambient sound or music has been fixed and the patch has been submitted to Apple and Google Play. The fix will be pushed out as soon as it is available.

If you are interested in more content then check this out!

5. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Thanks for dropping in and giving an update on the state of the update.

6. Reignmaker

Reignmaker Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Yes, thanks.

7. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Thanks for clearing these matters up. I honestly could not play a game like this with just text. But now a fix for the sound is out I think you've just written a $10 post.

8. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    The biggest issue for me using an iPad mini updated to ios7 is the game constantly shuts off and takes me to home screen, usually while loading but sometimes in my status screen, walking around, combat, and just talking it gets to the point after 4 or so times I just quit playing altogether for a while. I did try and restart the iPad mini after download to see if that fixed it but it did not. The next thing is the autosave function. Please give us the option to save whenever we want, if the game is gonna shut down on me I'd like the option to save it every 2 minutes so I don't have to constantly repeat everything. Thanks :)

9. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

That has been mentioned previously, the PC version didn't have that type of save system. I still have no idea WHY, but HBS has said if they do fix it, the PC will be the first and it'll filter down to the tablet versions after.

10. Larni

Larni Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Is anyone else getting a Planescape:Torment vibe from the art design, opening scene in a morgue and lots of dialogue?

I know I am and I thoroughly enjoying it as a consequence.

11. Larni

Larni Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Looks like I'll be delving back through my old Shadowrun European source books.

12. Magnum0ik

Magnum0ik Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance Broker
    Portsmouth, England
    The original SNES version of Shadowrun opened in a morgue also.

13. Larni

Larni Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Yeah, I just this now fired it up on Zsnes to have a look at it and you are absolutely correct. I also took a look at the Megadrive version but was less impressed.

But I'm really enjoying this. Good game so far: definitely worth a punt if you like a bit of story driven adventure.

14. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    After hearing there will be a sound fix I decided to buy it but initially even without the sound I saw the video and liked the artwork, setting and gameplay. Something about it breathed professionalism and quality.

And after playing it over an hour I find it intriguing and really enjoy it. It's very, very well done especially the special effects during combat and this is a deep RPG game. You can level up just about everything.

The story and gameplay alone make this an 8.5 out of 10 and when they add some sound and music I'd give it 9.5 as its a very good game.

On ipad 4 NO crashes so far. No technical issues yet. Worth the $10 easily. I lean towards the excellent side in judging this game. It reeks of quality throughout from the very deep RPG system to the incredible art work to the awesome gameplay and special effects and the AI is very good.

Very glad I bought it.

15. Larni

Larni Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Yeah, I agree. I normally turn the music off, any way. But it would be good to have it fixed.

This really takes me back to being at uni (before the Earth cooled) and playing the Dhunkelzan elections and bug city (was it Chicago?).

Hazy days.

16. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Even better than that, the NPC who pops out of the morgue drawer at the beginning of SR is actually the main character from the SNES game, who started out there by doing exactly the same thing.

17. damanwithdaplan

Apr 27, 2012
    love the gameplay and the universe,
    however, the lack of a decent savegame funtion in addition to the very frequent crashes (and, oh, app switching results in restarts from previous checkpoint too) break the experience for me. after restarting the slum mission 4 times i am done and hope for a very speedy update which fixes these issues! otherwise i'll apply for a refund...

18. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    my note2 version just got updated with a sound fix.

19. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Graphics look lovely on retina, missing sounds are enough to make me wait for the patch though.

20. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Thanks for the wonderful feedback! Now I'll definitely get it after reading your comments whereas yesterday I was still undecided... Just waiting on the music bug fix... :)