iPhone Shadowrun Returns - (by Harebrained Schemes LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Was really bummed that I wasn't going to be getting this game right away. Looks like I don't have to be as it sounds like it is not as good as was hoped for. Thanks for saving me $10 (for now).

2. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    this game is awesome, with xcom and now this im one happy strategy ios gamer

3. ttocs

ttocs Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Sr. Data Analyst
    Baltimore, MD
    I wonder why they decided against the sound. From watching videos and comparing against what I played on the PC - it's definitely missed.

4. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It takes way too long these days just to find out whether or not a game supports retina or not. Nine pages into the thread and still waiting...

6. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    It's been nine hours and that's honestly because more people are interested in playing the game rather than sticking around to discuss it just yet. Patience is in order please. Besides, for some of us it is hard to tell... It could be retina but honestly I am unsure if it is truly retina or just looks really clean. Either way it doesn't look washed out or faded like a non retina game, but I have personally played many games that while not retina, look close enough to retina that I honestly can't notice the difference unless I am really trying really hard to spot the difference. I am unsure if this is truly retina or just a high res but not retina resolution port, but it looks comparable well to my PC version of it if that helps.

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    We managed to get to nine pages in the first place, so obviously some people are taking the time to discuss it. If you don't know the answer then fair enough, but I'm sure at least one person who's participated will know.

Anyone that can't quite tell and wants to help could link to a full-sized screenshot.

8. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Meh, I would have told you by now, but I'm not grabbing the iOS version (at least, not yet).

9. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    #89 Bool Zero, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
    And four of those pages came before the game even released... I'd say you are being a bit presumptuous and demanding of the community as if the answer were owed to you. I am not trying to be rude to you but your post is coming off with a very negative tone. If all you need was a screen shot then I can oblige; but it shouldn't be taken as a personal slight to you if you don't get the answer you are asking for right away from the forums. Please try to be more considerate and patient to the people willing to oblige you in the future.

In any case here are some screenies, but I don't think it will help as the game looks great zoomed out but looses some of the luster when zoomed in... Much like the PC version.

Besides, you were kind of given your answer when you initially asked... Buy the PC version regardless as it is the better version, period. The only reason to buy this would be if you prefer to have it on the go and don't mind missing out on all the user generated content. I doubled down because I want the game on the go when away from the PC. My workaround to the sound issue is that I have the soundtrack from my PC preorder and play that in the background... Not a solution for all here but it works for me until they address this music issue...

Attached Files:

10. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    Zoomed in...

Attached Files:

11. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    #91 adamphetamine, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
    This game is good so if u already have x-com buy this, but if u don't have x-com, I'd recommend getting that over this. By no means is Shadowrun a bad game, it's just missing some things to make it great ala the PC version but I'm sure updates will fix st. Hopefully we get the user generated content but who knows. Truly a good solid game tho.

12. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Harebrained Schemes have just commented on FB - "We're aware of the sound issue and working on it."

13. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    So does anyone have seen rain outside? The PC version has, but in the stages i have already play on iPad (3rd gen) i have not seen...

14. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    Probably a concession to get performance level. I've noticed minor things as well but also see a lot of things still in (environmental effects wise). Unfortunately, it is always give and take with ports like these...

15. djiwai

djiwai Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    ok so, biggest gamble I've ever made with an appstore game; I bought it for ipad, hoping to tweak it and make it work for my iphone 5. and it does...! so to anyone familiar with the .plist edit to make, go ahead, it works. just make sure to also install the cydia tweak "fullforce" to have shadowrun running full screen. there's some sort of a win/loose situation, as on a tiny screen you don't notice much the ugliness of zoomed-in backgrounds, but also be prepared to deal with an interface for ants. also, like everyone else, no musics, but that was expected.
    great alternative to xcom, great game, waiting for an update; and waiting for an official iphone support, make it universal.

16. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010

I thought editing .plist was a non-jailbreak way to get games to work but I see you mention Cydia... So are you doing this on a jail broken phone or a non jail broke phone?

As a side note, I really need to start dabbling in this whole .plist editing thing... Obviously I have my iPad but it would be interesting just to dabble with...

17. djiwai

djiwai Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    well, unjailbroken is possible, it only requires to get the stored .ipa file of the game, inside your itunes directory, opening it with winzip and editing the info.plist file, there is always one within each game archive, it concerns required ios, icons to use, platform restrictions...
    on jailbroken devices, it "only" gives the advantage to force to fullscreen for games that are not yet optimized for iphone 5 and up, through that "fullforce" tweak. but maybe it will not look so well on devices without it, I don't know.

18. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    Cool, thanks for clarifying!

19. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    And people wonder why games like these don't make it to iPhone.

20. kurtalb1

kurtalb1 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    12+ hours of gameplay seems very short for this type of game. If there were a guarantee that they would be adding additional content in the near future, I would hop right on board, but I believe I'll wait and see how it pans out.