iPhone Shadowrun Returns - (by Harebrained Schemes LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Sep 25, 2013.

1. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

So not having voice acting is incomplete?

Do you even have the slightest concept as to the complexities and cost of hiring voice actors for such a deep story?

As for the save issue, it's a port. They aren't going to redesign the game for us, it's there for people to have and play. sure the checkpoint system is imperfect here, but for that to be a deal breaker is a bit silly.

2. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    For the record Harebrained Schemes has said on their Facebook page that they are looking into a different save system for the PC/Mac versions and would update the iOS/android versions after the PC/Mac versions.

3. andsoitgoes

OY. Finally!!

Come on 50 meg connection!!

4. Devok

Devok Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Oh bloody hell, where is the iphone 5 support?! I have a ipad but the iphone version...

5. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Library circulation rep
    Beaufort, SC
    Just played the prologue. Liking it so far. Definitely legit Shadowrun. Hoping there are lots of expansions in the future.

6. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    No music? No ambient sound? Is this a bug or was it like this on the PC?

7. Reignmaker

Reignmaker Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Is there retina support?

8. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    No. The soundtrack is awesome for this game... I don't know what happened to the sound for this port...

9. andsoitgoes

Weird. Same issue for me.

While I can excuse a lot of things, this seems like a problem for everyone. How this could have gotten through a QA team is beyond me. A 2 year old would have seen this coming.

10. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    I sold my iPad because I never used it and found myself constantly playing games on my phone rather then my bulky, huge iPad. However, when games like this and KOTOR come out it makes me sorely regret that decision.

11. andsoitgoes

Everyone with sound issues, which seems like everyone, please email HBS:

[email protected]

12. B30

B30 Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Planet Earth
    Save game, sound and music issues, I'll wait for a proper update or pass.

13. Magnum0ik

Magnum0ik Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance Broker
    Portsmouth, England
    Just downloaded and had a quick play.

Ahhh, just like I remember all those years ago. Anyway, gameplay seems solid as does battle mechanics.

No music? Adds to the atmosphere for me.

Character creation, conversations choices, battles are all solid. Graphics are nice so very happy. A new story which is good rather than a 100% sequel as I cannot remember the story of the Snes game.

Overall 5/5 for me. Maybe a little "noir detective-esque" music would add further.some checkpoints for saving would also be nice.

14. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    The game actually has music, but apparently it isn't working at the moment in the iOS version.

15. gonzoblair

gonzoblair Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Great game so far but I've got a show stopping series of crashes that make it unplayable at the moment. Music isn't working and the game completely crashes randomly every 7-10 minutes which makes it lose all progress up to that point.

On an iPad 2 so I'm betting a newer model with more memory won't experience that as much. Definitely can't wait to get more into the game once that's fixed, but losing all the progress after a big battle makes it a no go at this point.

It's definitely a terrific, richly detailed and full featured Shadowrun game, so let's hope the bugs get squashed soon.

16. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I commented on Harebrained Schemes' Facebook Page about the sound issues (no music or ambient sounds) and someone replied to say that they're having the same problem on Android.

Hmm, I hope that doesn't mean that it is meant to be like this on the mobile version of the game. It feels pretty empty and lifeless without music. I think I'll put this one aside and wait to see if there's a fix in the works.

17. yaboyrasp

yaboyrasp Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Watch listed...after playing xcom most turn based games just don't feel polished enough and to hear about a lac of sound sucks but what's really off putting is the checkpoint system...on a platform that's usually only used in small bursts I'd have to have to play longer then I want to just so I don't lose my progress. Looking forward to future updates tho

18. rikku

rikku Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Male
    Planet
    Any in-depth reviews so far? All I could find is the one on PGR, but it seems like they had an Android alpha build. Still, this looks extremely promising, I just don't think it's fair to price it the same as the PC version when it's missing a scenario creator.

19. havip503

havip503 New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    I can't play this game on my iPad 2 ios7.0 ! I hope they will update

20. Gabriel.Voyager

Gabriel.Voyager Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    #80 Gabriel.Voyager, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
    It's like a direct port from the PC version without any effort to adapt the game to the tablet interface.
    The checkpoint save system on a portable device is so stupid, very big and annoing bug like the costant crash (out if memory?) and the lack of sound for me is the result of a lazy port just to make easy cash.
    shadowrun devs please take a look to the xcom ipad version and learn something