Shadowrun Returns by Harebrained Schemes [$4,99 -> $2,99]

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Pipipitchu, Oct 22, 2014.

1. DiMarco

DiMarco Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Short version, less exploration, more tactical warfare.

2. Brunner

Brunner Member

Feb 18, 2014
    Please, for the love of all you hold holy, if you've read this far into the thread buy this game.... It's probably the best game I've found for the money, and I bought it at full price... This is a wonderful opportunity so please don't miss it

3. pillzhereish

pillzhereish Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Student
    Have the developers planned to port the game to the iPhone? Price is not really an issue, I'm ready to buy it whenever it hits the smaller iOS screens.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I dont see why you'd compare a turn-based RPG to a tactics SRPG.

In XCOM, you dont control a character and roam around different parts of the map. It's just area after area of missions, with the "base" in between.

In Shadowrun, you travel around the city, talk to NPCs, trigger main and sub quest, complete quests, kill bad guys. Travelling is in realtime, and when combat starts it becomes turn-based.

5. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I wonder if Dragonfall will be a DLC or a new app.

6. Vellrath

Vellrath Active Member

Dec 30, 2012
    No regrets buying it at full price! I can't wait for Dragonfall. If you're looking for anything similar don't forget all of the ios ports from http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com - They're fantasy setting games with excellent writing and similar gameplay to the original fallout games.

7. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Same, it's the only reason I haven't bought it at full price.

8. razorracer83

razorracer83 Well-Known Member

#28 razorracer83, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    I'm going by combat, not overworld navigation, which with the exception of the way they attack in XCOM, plays very similar to each other.

Just played the first mission in Shadowrun Returns, and this is definitely a really great game. At $3, it actually highway robbery. This is definitely a game that people should buy for their new iPad Air 2's and iPad Mini 3's (or new iPad Mini 2's for the sensible people).

9. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^Which is why they arent really the same in genre. The only similarity is the turn-based combat, but that doesnt make Arc the Lad titles similar to FFTactics.

10. razorracer83

razorracer83 Well-Known Member

To be fair, I don't play too many strategy games (I prefer action RPGs and regular turn-based RPG), so I am no authority in what makes a proper strategy game and what are the proper subgenre of SRPGs. I give them a try, every once in a while, and it looks like this is one I definitely give a chance.

11. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    One thing's for sure though. Both this and XCOM are fantastic games to play on the ipad. :)