iPhone Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut (by Harebrained Schemes LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Dec 3, 2014.

1. tarek

tarek Active Member

Nov 12, 2012
    So I played shadow run returns and finished it. Is this a totally new experience or can you transfer a character from the previous game?

2. Opheus

Opheus Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2014
    The combat is much more difficult compare to the first game, maybe because now you control a group of four instead. The enemy keep ganging up on your weakest member, anyone got any tips to share

3. djiwai

djiwai Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    it works on iphones, if one knows how to do it. it worked with the first shadowrun so I didn't risk anything this time. but I wonder, did they rip out the possibility of zooming ? I can't seem to zoom in or out...?

4. Jenohart

Jenohart Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Australia
    To everyone saying why the game can/can't work on an iPhone instead of an iPad...

I edited the info.plist to install the original Shadowrun Returns on my iPhone 4s and while the buttons were a bit small, it was entirely playable and I played further than where I was on my iPad without much trouble. The most they would have to do to get it working on iPhones would be to maybe allow the camera to go a bit closer and make the font/buttons a bit bigger.

Performance-wise, it ran the same on my 4s as it did on my iPad Mini 1, as in it crashes every now and otherwise runs okay. I guess I can't complain for holding onto an older device but c'mon, if we're not getting UGC then can't we have an option to reduce the quality of the 2D art assets to save memory? Some memory-intensive 2D games like Battle Gems have this option. I think it's just the backgrounds that's the problem.

I'm not gonna be too critical of developers who don't want to or can't feasibly optimize their game for older devices since I don't know exactly how hard it would actually be, but it does mean they won't have my sale (for the time being).

5. mrdollar

mrdollar Member

Dec 1, 2014
    What do you say will it work on a 5inch screen(galaxy s3) properly?I mean I'll get the android version once that hits the play store.

6. Jenohart

Oct 29, 2010
    Australia
    Have you seen an old iPhone 4s screen? It's tiny compared to a Galaxy S3 screen. While some things were a bit small for me on the 4s, it wasn't unplayable and it didn't bother me too much. On a bigger screen it would work even better, so I say go for it.

7. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I can't believe the text wasn't too small on a 4s. I have returns on my 6+ and it's almost too small, so can only imagine how small on a 4. Gives me hope maybe the text could be a bit larger in dragonfall? Will try tonight. But jeez, you guys playing this on a 4s, you sure you're not ruining your eyes for ever!? Kids these days...

8. Sildani

Sildani Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2013
    High school social studies teacher
    NOVA
    How'd you do that?

Exactly my feeling. A great game I'm dying to play, and will pay good money for, but I won't buy an iPad to do it. And these days, especially with this equipment, I shouldn't have to.

9. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The technical viability of an iPhone port should never have been called into question. With many similar titles already available, quite a few others which are at least as difficult to port or that suffers as least as much from downsizing, and the oft forgotten possibility that developers actually have the power to redraw and resize and redo text and interface manually to better suit a small screen, there should never be any doubt as to whether an RPG of this kind can be eminently playable on iPhones. (The same goes for just about any genre that has even been deemed port-unviable.)

Shadowrun and Dragonfall are not even one of the trickiest ports imaginable. Quite on the contrary, the format and gameplay is quite well suited for smartphones (all the more evident by the fact that something so extremely easy for a GUI designer to adapt as text size is cited as one of the hindrances :D ). Luckily, you just eased the burden of proof considerably ;)

Now, whether or not a port would be lucrative enough to justify the porting costs is, of course, far removed from the discussion of technical limitations or the lack thereof. My guess is that even if Harebrained actually had to alter the UI significantly to suite the iPhone (if not, iPad to iPhone porting is often actually as simple as flicking a few switches, as Jenohart's experiment indicates, plus some rather light optimization work), the investment would still pay off. I hope I'm right and that they see it too :)

10. mrdollar

mrdollar Member

Dec 1, 2014
    If x-com can be done then shadowrun can be done 'easily'.I want this game 'badly' if nothing I'll pick it up for my android game but that wouldn't be as fun.Having all games on a single iphone is lot better.

11. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Have to echo many others. Shame this isn't out for the iPhone 6.

I've almost completed IWD played exclusively on my 6 and didn't find it difficult with the screen size at all. I just adjusted the text font size for reading.

12. djiwai

djiwai Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    in settings, accessibility menu, there's the option to zoom fullscreen with a 3-finger double-tap. not perfect, but extremely usefull.

13. Jenohart

Oct 29, 2010
    Australia
    Well, it was pretty small and probably smaller than most people are comfortable with, but what I mean is that it wasn't impossible to read and probably wouldn't take too much to increase the font size by just a bit.

I don't know if you have to be jailbroken or not, but what I did is extract the info.plist from the .ipa file, changed "UIDevicefamily" from "2" to "1" using a plist editor, put the info.plist file back into the .ipa file and then manually install it with iTools.

It's worse than that for me. Separate from the issue of porting, I have an iPad Mini 1 and the game crashes frequently on it. The devs stated it's because A5 devices only have 512mb of ram and they just can't optimize the game enough for it. So you don't just need to buy and iPad, you need to buy a newer iPad.

Back onto the issue of porting, I noticed the game runs almost exactly the same on my iPhone 4s as it did on my iPad Mini 1 (both these devices have almost the same technical specs). What I take from that is there's no hard technical reason why the game couldn't be playable on iPhone. The text and buttons are small but not impossibly so, especially for iPhone 6.

14. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Yes I know, thanks. I've said it quite a few times myself on this forum actually. It's just for this game, the text is dayum small!! Makes it very fiddly. Other games it's only a minor adjustment required.

15. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    For such a highly touted game that is one of the worst app icons I've ever seen

16. djiwai

djiwai Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    let's not forget the dedication of some programmers on cydia on that matter. I'm thinking of "fullforce for iphone" a tweak by Ryan Petrich that only costs 0.99 and works almost flawlessly. If it wasn't for this tweak, I would've never bothered with buying and tweaking these games, I HATE black sidebars. I already own them on steam so its not like I was missing something. but as for XCOMs, it is simply irresistible to own some pc games and also have them ported to pocket devices. being able to have both XCOM and Shadowrun, that's... bwaaaah, mindblowing.

17. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    So any impressions on the gameplay? And I do agree with the gentlemen who said the icon is terrible..

18. RampageDeluxe

RampageDeluxe Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2013
    I was just coming on here to say the same thing. I'll hold off on buying it until they update that icon. I don't want to hide this game in a folder somewhere.

19. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    Ugh so the story drags on like the last part? I tapped my way through most of the dialogue in S. returns.. I wish this had multiplayer

20. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    lol, I hide apps in folders if their icon sucks.. I'm weird like that, but it still won't hold me back from buying the game..