Universal SHADOWGUN (by MADFINGER Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by The Bat Outta Hell, Sep 28, 2011.

1. JMarceLF

JMarceLF Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    CHEF
    California
    #421 JMarceLF, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
    Oh forget it! I just beat the game. lol I don't know how to do spoiler Thingy on my iPhone.

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #422 backtothis, Sep 29, 2011
    Spoiler tag please.

3. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    #423 Prhaber, Sep 29, 2011
    I don't know what everyone else thinks, but perhaps these posts should be put in a different thread, and let us talk about the game in question!

The game does have its flaws, and it's kind of the job of reviewers to point these out. But gaming is so subjective - if I got in a state about every opinion I didn't agree with online I'd have extremely high blood pressure by now. It's one of the wonderful things about gaming - we're all entitled to our own opinion - and while healthy debate is important it's a thin line between that and obsessive arguing just for the sake of it.

I'm loving the game - in a different way and for different reasons than games like Jetpack Joyride for example (another game I'm loving at the moment). As an example of what iOS is capable of - and as a pretty decent shooter, Shadowgun works for me. When I was playing it today one of the firefights I had was fun, exhilarating and very immersive - a first for me on iOS - so for that alone I think he developers should be commended.

4. EMTKiNG

EMTKiNG Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    EMT
    Los Angeles,CA
    I regret to inform you that your going to have to restart your campaign there is no work around. Same thing happened to me.

5. Prhaber

Dec 16, 2010
    Perhaps it's just my age (I was 40 a few months ago) but personally I'm just sitting here with a dazed smile on my face knowing I'm playing a game like Shadowgun on a device not much bigger than a pocket calculator. I think that as gamers we need to pull back a bit and see the bigger picture - what we're seeing on iPods and iPhones, devices that are so small and so portable, constantly amazes me. Sometimes it's easy to lose sight of the fact that 10 years ago we were playing tetris on a device the size of a small housebrick...

6. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Sorry but I am barely younger and I would not care.
    I do not own the game, but from the sound of it I have more fun playing pong on icade that a eye candy boring fps. Well, maybe not pong but marathon yes.

7. Prhaber

Dec 16, 2010
    I quite agree - and I've had more fun playing many of the small 69p games on the AppStore. But as somebody who'se always been interested in the development of gaming, where it's come from and where it's going, Shadowgun has been very interesting to play. There's nothing wrong with a bit of eye candy at times...

8. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Seems like the midst of the TA versus Shadowguns fans war was a bad time and place to post a review of the game ;) But for those looking for a review from someone who is partially very impressed and partially not at all aroused by Shadowgun, you can find mine on page 41.

9. jjjmedia

jjjmedia Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    What level is that bug?

10. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I'm 3 stages in so far and haven't had any crashing issues whatsoever on my iPod Touch 4. Game controls very well. Enemies are pretty easy to kill so far. I have witnessed enemies that eventually strafe or back away from you if you advance but that's if you haven't immediately killed them and they're still hanging around.

It reminds me of some article back in the day that said enemy AI was pretty hard to display because it requires enemies staying alive long enough to go through their programmed routines, but not long enough that it frustrates the player. This is even more true on mobile platforms. I'll give another replay on hard to see how it stacks up.

So far, a better effort from MadfingerGames than their Samurai games, which were pretty but bland action brawlers. Shadowgun is at least is a competent 3rd person cover shooter (better than any of Gameloft's efforts in the same genre), though I wish the talented programmers at this studio would hire a proper gameplay designer, so as to make something really special one day aside from graphics.

And I repeat the call for a roll manuever. :)

More impressions over the weekend.

11. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Gentleman,
    How is the bug with the driller level avoided by restarting the campaign? I don't really want to do this, but I do want to finish the game.

12. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    It doesn't. What he meant was that the update patching the bug will cause your save file to be deleted.

13. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    So buggy...

In the elevator of level 5:
    [​IMG]
    Madfinger MUST fix all of the bugs and crashes, the game is unplayable and I'm using an iPod Touch 4.

14. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Wow, just did the driller fight, now that was badass!

15. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    #435 WCFields, Sep 29, 2011
    Double Drat!!

I'm also stuck on the same part,I really dislike having to start all over because of this.

16. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Did you encounter the glitch/bug? Or am I just overlooking something?

I have not encountered any bugs yet other than this one.

This game has a ton of potential.

17. VonWillebrand

VonWillebrand Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Europe
    I wonder if the game was tested mostly on iPhone 4. I had ZERO crashes or any kind of bugs. No jailbreak here so that could be a factor.

18. dinoeggs777

dinoeggs777 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    no, they said mostly itouch 4g

19. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Nope. Not one crash or bug since I started the game. :)

20. gfxdaddy

gfxdaddy Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Male
    Illustrator | Web | Graphic | Digital Publishing D
    London, UK
    Great graphics, amazed by the Unity 3D engine stuffing all that graphical goodness in such a small package. Gameplay is a little lackluster (a bit like shooting fish in a barrel), but it doesn't detract from what the devs have achieved graphically. Voice-acting is SUPERB...top of the class for a mobile game, right up there with Dead Space (which to me is the pinnacle of mobile gaming thus far--atmosphere, storyline, gameplay, all on point). I really have to tip my hat to MadFinger two times--bad voice acting will ruin a good game and you didn't drop the ball. Excellent job.

But PLEASE.....can we have an option to turn that annoying soundtrack off? Or perhaps use a better one in an upcoming update. I also experience FREQUENT crashes on my iPad2 (non-jailbroken).