Universal SHADOWGUN (by MADFINGER Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by The Bat Outta Hell, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Your Opinion is welcome as the other Once! Besides the used Grapicengine Shadowgun does deliver a new Level of Gameplay for the Mobildevices that currently none other Game has.

While this might look boring and repetitive for some who are around as long as the older Player/Member of the TA Forum it still shows what is currently possible on the Mobil Devices.

Currently Games that are in Development will now always be compared with Shadowgun and it's up to the Developer to now not only shine with their Graphics but also impress us with a Story/Gameplay that make you fall down on your knees and thank the Android/iOS Gods.

Madfinger Games did what Valve did a few Years ago with Half-Life or what Epic Games did with Unreal a few Years before that:

They did took a Genre where all of us had thought that we had already seen everything on our Mobildevices and raised the Quality to a new Level but still left enough room for other Developer to improve on Parts like Story/Gameplay.

While i had wished that Madfinger would have deliver a Story that would have been more darker then the current One i still like what i have seen so far and looking forward for those Parts that i haven't seen yet.

About the Value of the Game itself:

For those $8 you are getting currently a Singleplayer Game that will get in a few Weeks/Months an Multiplayer Update that might have an Impact on the Multiplayer Mobil Community as big as Call of Duty had with the first Modern Warfare and it's currently 3. Million Online Player.

After playing the Game a few Hours so far i would even go that far to say that Shadowgun was from the Beginning planned as an Multiplayer-Shooter with an Singleplayer Part and not as an Singleplayer Game with an Multiplayer Modus.

While currently not much is known about about the Muliplayer Modus itself because Madfinger Games is keeping it as Secret as possible the only Fact we know about it is the Copyprotection of it.

Only knowing this silly Fact made me ask myself why would a Developer make that less Noise about a Part of a Game where everyone else seem to Hype it over the Internet or in the Gamingnewspaper by calling it the Digital Virtual Mobil Gaming Heaven.

Guess we will get the Answer when th Update do Hit the iTunes Store...

So whatever it is that Madfinger Games is hidding we will have to wait and see if they do deliver just the usual Standard Multiplayer Content or something we might even talk/play in a few Years still.

So coming to an End let's just i will try to answer your Question with with on sentence:

...While Shadowgun doesn't create a new Gaming Era it still will leave a hugh Impact on the Mobil Gaming Sector because of it's Presentation which not only might boost the Sales of the Unity3D Engine but also of the Mobildevices as already Infinity Blade had done last Year...

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #402 backtothis, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
    It was a figure of speech. I'm sure as you made your post, you knew I didn't mean match-3 games only. 5 stars just means that the game got an incredibly positive review from TA. Also, are you seriously calling me out because I disagreed with ONE F**KING REVIEW and decided to share my opinion on the topic? You're going to use personal attacks because I said I thought the review focused on the wrong things? I already replied to your post on the frontpage regarding what the review covers, and no, I didn't just read half of the review. I post regularly on articles on the frontpage with comments regarding how I thought it was well-written on TA, but when I take the time to criticize one review, you're going to give me all this shit Hodapp? The staff gave their opinion on the game, and I gave mine, both on the game and on the review. That's the point of the f**king forums here Hodapp. I'm not personally attacking anyone. I'm just voicing my opinion on the review. But honestly, do you really believe that the review was written based on the merits of the game? I already said I agreed that the game gets repetitive; there's no argument there. Don't you think there's something more to the game than it just being a tech demo with "nice boss fights" though?

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

No. Not in its current form, anyway.

And if you think me disagreeing with you was a personal attack you should probably step back and think about that for a bit.

4. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth

Screw that.:mad: The game isn't fun enough to start over from the beginning.

I may just delete it until the update.

5. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #405 backtothis, Sep 29, 2011
    You know very well you did more than disagree with me in your post. You asked me once if I mistook your bluntness for not being a nice person. I don't think I did, not regarding me at least. If you ever respond to my posts, it's never because you have anything nice to say. Not sure when/where we fell off, but it must have happened somewhere in the past two and a half years or so.

6. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Rage - for example - is a boring, repetitive tech-demo. The only difference? A huge company behind it ;) Which is the bigger crime. Having resources and not using them should be critisized way more than trying to open some eyes out of passion for gaming.

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

You seem to be getting kind of emotional about this. What was unclear in what I posted? You're spewing hyperbole all over the place about how we're focusing on it crashing, and that's not the case. Shadowgun just isn't very good. As far as it pushing the App Store forward or whatever, it'll be fun and compelling gameplay experiences which are catered to the platform that do that, not high polygon counts and virtual controls.

8. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I find it interesting how fired up people are getting over this. First of all, "fun" is a very ambiguous term, although I am guilty of using it all the time. Sometimes the best thing I can say about a game is: "Overall, it's just FUN". That being said, fun is such a personal thing that it one person's masterpiece can be another person's bore. I'm somewhere in the middle. I certainly disagree with this being a tech demo. Was Portal a tech demo because it was short and repetitive? Now, I'm not saying that SG is on the same level as Portal, only that I think that there has been a bit of a backlash over simply how impressive the graphics are here. Seriously. I think there are some that feel that to like this game you have to simply be a graphics whore. I disagree. I like the game it its own (flawed though it may be) terms. Can it be improved? Certainly, and I'm confident that it will be. But I think right now a whole lot of hyperbole is being thrown around on both sides. I may be guilty of it myself. As a whole game, I prefer Dead Space. As a harbringer of things to come, I give this game a whole lot of credit.

9. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #409 backtothis, Sep 29, 2011
    Alright.

There's two audiences for the iOS, and most of the time I'm in the minority I guess. I'm calm though Hodapp, and I really don't feel like anything I said was an overstatement.

10. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    I've been loving this game - amazing graphics, no crashes and really giving us an idea of what games powered by unity / unreal are going to be capable of on iOS - and it's by a relatively small developer so kudos to them.

However - just come up against a bug I can't get past. The corridor with beams of light across just before the drilling machine attacks you. There seems to be some bug with the beams - they look like they're off but kill me when I walk through them. I've managed to turn on and off one of the beams from behind, but can't get to the others - so when I get the keycard and trigger the drilling machine I keep getting killed by running into invisible beams...

Frustrating as I've loved the game so far!

11. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yes, many people have had this issue. It's actually a bug. They're addressing it in an update as fast as soon as they can.

12. JMarceLF

JMarceLF Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    CHEF
    California
    I don't like how Hodapp responds to criticism either. I dissagreed once about how dumb a review Dungeon Defenders got and how he never mentioned it was the second game using the unreal engine once and he chimed right in negatively. Seriously Hodapp your role should just be to review and not get defensive about stuff by writing to us in the forums. It's your fricken opinion and if we don't like it too bad. Defending your reviews like this makes you and TA look lame. Get over yourself.

13. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Hodapp didn't write this review.

14. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I agree that Dungeon Defenders got a poor review (it's one of the three reviews on TA I disagreed with), but I wasn't exactly going for the rest of your post. You might want to edit some of that out. In any case, Hodapp doesn't actually write most of these reviews. He's the editor.

15. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth

I deleted Rage after completing the game 3x after playing it for a little over an hour. Meh.

I like games that offer somewhat of a challenge and stimulate the brain a little.

So far I hope an Update is in the works as of yesterday for Shadowgun.

I can list off numerous .99 cent titles that are not of the Angry Birds variety that offer a significant gameplay experience than Shadowgun has to offer in it's current state.

16. JMarceLF

Dec 8, 2010
    CHEF
    California
    Then wtf? Why is he even talking about this then? I'm lost. They review, we read, then opinionate. What's with this bickering and nitpicking from an editor?

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

What are you talking about?

18. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    An editor? He runs this place. It's his job to defend his writers. It's just that I feel like he does his job a little too well at times.

19. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I'm not defending anyone here, I'm just setting the record straight as graphical hyperbole runs wild. You guys are reading way too far into this.

20. JMarceLF

Dec 8, 2010
    CHEF
    California
    I don't know, I feel if someone has to rush in and defend his writers article then that is pretty lame. It's not like our opinions on anything really matter to anyone but the developers should they choose to read.