Universal SHADOWGUN (by MADFINGER Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by The Bat Outta Hell, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    The Driller

Ive done this. How do I get past the driller or how do I kill it. Once I deactivate that laser I activate it again to try to stop the driller and just end up dying. What do I do?:confused:

2. Zeratulz

Zeratulz Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2010
    The only thing I feel that is missing is a dodge/roll for the character.

3. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    A front page trashing review has just been posted. Honestly, pretty much what I expected. I don't know why, but I had a feeling that this was going to get hammered on by review sites. I don't have a problem with it...TA always explains in detail why they feel the way they do, even if I disagree sometimes like I do here. I even agree with some of the complaints (especially bugs), but I guess I'm just so blown away with where this game takes the platform that I can overlook temporary bugs that I have full confidence will be taken care of, and just revel in what horizons this game reveals for iOS. I honestly feel like the sky is the limit now. Infinity Blade showed glimpses, but I feel like this game really is the roadmap for where we can go. Yes, it is a flawed roadmap, but I give it the credit of being the first to really open my eyes to what is in the near future.

4. AmpliHelix

AmpliHelix Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    East Coast, USA
    FYI I don't play Angry Birds, smartass. Try again.

Anyway, I gave in and bought it last night when other new games came out. It's pretty but very repetitive.

5. caltab

caltab Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    #365 caltab, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
    The loading times by themselves are certainly forgivable, but when your game has literally crashed for the 5th time on one level, they can really help to ruin the experience. I don't know if the crashes are random, but I experienced far more crashes in the later levels, having to restart at a checkpoint over and over again really sucks later on.

6. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    #366 Dirty Harry Hannahan, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
    I'm not trying to be a dick or anything.......But where is the excitement and real enjoyment with this game? It gets old after 10 minutes of the same old gameplay.

7. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    After TA review and the comments here, I am happy not to have taken this one. I have enough of beautiful repetitive games with static enemies. I rather have a GL game then.

8. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    It looks spectacular. Seriously. On a mobile phone. Just breathtaking. But I play GoatUp more. A lot more.

9. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth

This game offers nothing different. Nothing is new with Shadowgun.

It looks pretty. That's the only thing this game has going for it is the graphics, that's it.

Games like Deadlock and Vertex Blaster or Rainbow Six offer much better gaming experiences.

10. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    Crosshairs!

This game really needs a ironsights option.

11. VonWillebrand

VonWillebrand Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Europe
    I couldn't disagree more with the TA review. Granted, this game is far from perfect but as a single player experience it's leaps and bounds over anything Gameloft has done. Yet Gameloft titles receive good reviews. Yes, many of them have multiplayer but the single player campaigns are awful.

12. TheEvilNoob

TheEvilNoob Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Noob assassinator
    My evil lair
    #372 TheEvilNoob, Sep 29, 2011
    You mean graphics don't make the game?!? Sounds like what i have been saying for years. TheEvilNoob-1 12 year olds that only play games for graphics-0.

Oh and just in case it sounds this way: i am not talking about anyone on these forums.

That ^

Aralon had WAY more glitches (both game breaking and normal) and crashes than this did and it took them months to patch them and TA gave them a good review. TA contradicts themselves a lot it seems....

13. Robotwars

Robotwars Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Leaps and Bounds really? Over ANYTHING gameloft has done? Come on now. That's a complete hyperbole and has no basis whatsoever. I don't even like most GL games or GL themselves, but they have a decent amount of replayable games.

The TA review pretty much sums up SG perfectly. Glad they were able to be objective and not persuaded by hype and graphics.

14. scubi

scubi Active Member

Oct 12, 2008
    While you are running back to the lift, shoot the green tiles again to turn on the lasers. It will slow it down. Thus you can "JUST" make it back to the lift. Pretty intense and fun part of the game. Wish it had more of those moments.

As to it being repetitive, heck, you can say that about most of the "hit" games on iOS. I am on the last boss (HARD!!) at the moment and only had about 3 crashes through the game. They seriously need more enemies or the same enemies with more skins.

SERIOUSLY need more weapons. I mean.. WTF I am about to face the big boss and you hand me a FREAKING SHOTGUN WHICH I HAVE FREAKING HAD SINCE LIKE THE FIRST LEVEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF WTF WTF WTF!?!?!?!?!

Okay.. I'm okay... Just wow, who the heck thought that was a good idea?
    Rant over.. Back to trying to beat the game.

Despite it's flaws, I really like the game and I hope they listen to us on these forums. MadFinger! Pretty game but you can do better if you listen to your fans!

I do not regret the purchase. I have been playing for hours, and keeping my multitasking clean and clean booting it reduces crashes ALOT I guess because when I download big games I always do that. I thought it was common sense.

I look forward to the updates. Don't worry about file size. I'd happily delete a HD movie for the space to play the game we all hoped that this would be.

500+MB would not be a problem. Heck, 1gb would be welcome if it was chock full of dodging, variable enemy types, a plethora of weapons, and all the things we have been clamoring for on this forum.

I hope you are listening! :)

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Can you elaborate on what you disagree with because I'm pretty sure the review doesn't make any comparisons to Gameloft games.

16. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Yes, that's pretty much right. The dead Gameloft copycats always get a lot of praise. I've stopped buying that crap some time ago. At least, Mad Finger is showing the middle finger on what is possible graphically. They don't just reuse their engine over and over again. They really pulled a beauty off here. They just need a bigger team and a lot more resources. Then, they could easily lead the iOS dev pack. Great guys anyway. Money well spent anyway.

17. PureSkill

PureSkill Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    We will see...
    Flour Bluff
    I don't know who this thorin kiosowski is, but he needs a new day job that doesn't involve writing reviews.
    The only thing he got right are the crashes and beautiful graphics. Repetitive? Duh, that is an extremely weak excuse. All games are repetitive to some degree.

Unpredictable splash damage? bizarre choice of chapter ends? save-game deletion issues? What is he talking about? :confused:

18. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    @scubi

Im not able to shoot the second green target to activate/deactivate while heading away from the driller. I'm only able to do it to the 1st one. Is this a bug? Or am I just doing something wrong?

19. TheEvilNoob

TheEvilNoob Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Noob assassinator
    My evil lair
    #379 TheEvilNoob, Sep 29, 2011
    I thought that was wierd too. All the levels (ok i only played a few levels until i got glitch stuck) ended in a perfectly appropriate spot. The splash damage (which was rare) worked just fine for me. The save game deletion is real though.

There is a tiny spot where you can barely shoot it, but i would suggest that you don't shoot it. After i shot it it still killed me (even when it said it was off) and when i came back the invisible laser had moved about 10 feet closer to me so i can't get near the green switch anymore.

20. VonWillebrand

VonWillebrand Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Europe
    Correct. Gameloft is not mentioned. Nonetheless I'm pretty sure MC2, Nova 2 etc. got more positive reviews.